Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 201 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 23:24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
If Wiggins has some brains he knows he has no chance to win against Contador at 100%, not even against Contador at 95%. I think not even one of us will give him more than 1% chance.

British newspapers (according to hitch) think he's the best GT rider of this moment.

Besides a lot of people are already bashing him for the Froome-stuff. That will only get worse.

Sky might risk in losing Froome whois the real future for Sky. So will Sky risk it to **** of Froome?

Giro is right now perfect. And he can use the excuse of trying to become a 'legend'. And beating Nibali is way easier than handling with Contador.

If Wiggins thinks having Froome in your team is stressful than what about Contador? You've never EVER done with this dude. If he's 10 seconds behind on the last stage I'm sure he'll attack on the champs-elysee.

Smart choice is obviously riding the giro.

Obviously I hope he goes for the tour. I don't think I need to explain why
Im English , The papers do love Wiggins , and rightfully so, he is adored now and as much as i loathe the press in this country they are not completly stupid on the Cycling , they know Contador is force along with the other main men.

Last edited by Cavendash; 12-13-12 at 23:27.
Old 12-13-12, 23:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Not entirely. The newspapers too, but when it comes to thinking Wiggins is king for good, its mainly what the fans say.

At the olympics i head numerous people expouse confidence that Wiggins will easily retain the tour next year. 1 group i was sitting next to on the train expressed their regret at not making it to Paris for his win but decided they would definately go for it next year as no one could challenge him.
Another group at box hill were trying to calculate how many years until the next non British winner because from what they saw at the Tour no one can challenge Froome or wiggins for a while

And on the newspaper message boards ive been laughed at for saying wiggins will struggle to beat Contador next year because Contador off drugs will be struggling to finish the race.

Some of those "journalists" who write major op ed pieces about cycling now despite only knowing about 1 sport - football (eg martin samuel, supposed "sports writer of the decade" who made a laughable comparison of Hinaults and Lances alpe d huez climbs saying that a non dopers limit should be beating Hinault by 3 minutes maximum - ergo anything under 45 minutes on alpe - is doping), some of these journalists will express confidence that Britain will now dominate the Tour de France and hence cycling, but i think the ones who actually know a little about cycling know not to put too much pressure on their friend and just celebrate Wiggins recent win.

Urgh , that fat ******* is the lowest of the low , a scumbag of the highest order , probably the biggest **** spouting hypocrite amongst the lot of the rats.
Old 12-13-12, 23:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardslide View Post
This seems to be typical Wiggins believing his own press and opening his mouth before thinking. He should listen to the team and go to the Giro and then as backup for Frome in the tour.
If you listened to what he said that is exactly what he says he will do , he said its Daves problem to sort out.
Old 12-13-12, 23:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillstruggle View Post
Froome should have stabbed him in the back when he had the chance. I just hope he rides for himself this year no matter what the team say.
I dont get why people think its a stone cold fact that Froome would of just ridden off into the sunset from Brad , whos to say he wouldn't of cracked just like he did numerous times in the Vuelta and got reeled back in ?

And even if he did gain some time i doubt it would of been enough to win , we will never know.
Old 12-14-12, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavendash View Post
If you listened to what he said that is exactly what he says he will do , he said its Daves problem to sort out.
Sorry what I meant to say is listen to his coach Shane Sutton. The way I understood his comment was "I'll do what I want and Dave can deal with the flak"
Old 12-14-12, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
IMO its dumb because he is once again sidelining Froome and putting Froomes schedule and preparation in doubt, because he is going back on his word that Froome could be leader in the Tour, and because he won't have nearly as much chance to win the 2013 tour as he would at the Giro.

Thats your interpretation of Wiggos words. I cant see why Froome should have a different schedule and preparation just because Wiggo says he too wants a shot at the Tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Nibali, Purito, Sanchez, Pellizotti, Pozzovivo, and whichever Colombians show up I could see making Wiggo suffer. Plus as others said, it will be a harder race to control.
Its not like they suddenly will unite force and all ride as super domestiques for Nibbles, J-Rod or each other. I agree that they will try to crack who ever has the pinkt jersey, but not at the expence of their own chances. They too have their own ambitions in the GC.
Old 12-14-12, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavendash View Post
I dont get why people think its a stone cold fact that Froome would of just ridden off into the sunset from Brad , whos to say he wouldn't of cracked just like he did numerous times in the Vuelta and got reeled back in ?

And even if he did gain some time i doubt it would of been enough to win , we will never know.
We will never know but to judge him on his performance in this years Vuelta is a bit laughable. He'd just ridden the TDF and Olympics. He was obviously fatigued but he still gave it a go and attacked when he could. He's damn more entertaining to watch than wiggo, unless you have a passion for TT's and boring parcours.
Old 12-14-12, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Are you on crack? Sky at the giro would be the train neutralizing the stelvio, tre cime and especially galibier as wiggins takes 4 minutes in the tt. Who at the giro could fly away from the sky train? At least in the tour wed have Al and Andy and maybe gesink or quintana or pinot.

This way someone like henao or uran can have a go at the giro and we could see a good one.
Sky ride faster than any other mountain train. They would cause a lot more damage than Amadio's faux-train.

Last edited by Ferminal; 12-14-12 at 01:13.
Old 12-14-12, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
except the fact that Wiggins doesn't need to be at 100% to beat an off-form Nibbles.
lol!

/thread
Old 12-14-12, 01:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopass View Post
Thats your interpretation of Wiggos words. I cant see why Froome should have a different schedule and preparation just because Wiggo says he too wants a shot at the Tour.
It's not my interpretation of his words at all. He is now saying he wants to win the Tour, Froome would have been the leader at the Tour but now that Wiggins is saying he wants to win it again that put Froomes schedule and preparation for the Tour in doubt. Froome wants to go into a GT in top form, and be leader of the team. And if Wiggins says he wants to win the Tour again, then Froome may not be given the leadership he wants.

I guess Froome when they call him back to help Wiggins will just have to pretend his radio was broken.

Quote:
Its not like they suddenly will unite force and all ride as super domestiques for Nibbles, J-Rod or each other. I agree that they will try to crack who ever has the pinkt jersey, but not at the expence of their own chances. They too have their own ambitions in the GC.
No, they won't be uniting against Wiggins. But they will attack each other, and Wiggins doesn't like it when someone changes the pace with an attack. Enough attacks and he will be put into difficulty, and lose time to the other guys that can handle the Giro climbs better then him.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"