Radioshack-Leopard Trek - Page 11 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 08-30-11, 12:40

It was a big mistake for the Schlecks to leave Riis, but simply put, Bruyneel knows how to win.

Even with his much derided "team-geezer" he still won the three bigggest races in the US and the 4th (?) biggest stage race in Europe, plus a few other nice wins.

This merger would be good for the Schlecks, but they won't put up with getting their asses kicked around, so I think it will fail if it does happen..

As for the TdF, if Wiggins had not been riding like a Cat 5 racer and dropped his waterbottle into his front wheel, Horner, Kloden and Leipheimer would probably all have been in the top 10.

Last edited by joe1265; 08-30-11 at 12:50.
Old 08-30-11, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
Well IMO, you needn't worry, at least for the forseeable future. I don't see it happening considering the obstacle of the previously mentioned multiple contracts over the established limits.
I'm not sure why people are caught up about the contracts. I have trouble believing a sport with athlete protections as weak as cycling would have any sort of guaranteed contracts for most riders. The new RS will simply void the contracts of a bunch of riders and send them out to the free market. The really interesting question will be who gets cut...Too many chiefs on that team.
Old 08-30-11, 13:07

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/spec...ossible-merger

Gazzetta dello Sport saying they will merge
Old 08-30-11, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSkyFans View Post
sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of having to split my hatred in two directions I can now aim it all firmly at just one team again.
don't make me laugh I hate the idea of those two teams as one..
Old 08-30-11, 13:30

The other worry is the way Bruyneel ripped apart Astana not only when he left but when he arrived. He doesn’t have a lot of care for previous riders unless they’re from the “inner circle” way of preparing for the Tour. In addition what’s he going to do with Horner and Kloden. They’d be great workers for the Shlecks but not sure they’d be happy with that role again. I also think Canc will get up and leave. Watching Thor and Gilbert name their price and get their classics team is going to make him mad. No way Bruyneel is going to concentrate on anything but the Tour.

New thread: - Canc to BMC?

Last edited by thehog; 08-30-11 at 13:36.
Old 08-30-11, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
The other worry is the way Bruyneel ripped apart Astana not only when he left but when he arrived. He doesn’t have a lot of care for previous riders unless they’re from the “inner circle” way of preparing for the Tour. In addition what’s he going to do with Horner and Kloden. They’d be great workers for the Shlecks but not sure they’d be happy with that role again. I also think will get up and leave. Watching Thor and Gilbert name their price and get their classics team is going to make him mad. No way Bruyneel is going to concentrate on anything but the Tour.

New thread: - Canc to BMC?
I recon he will out of there faster than a fast thing - but not to BMC I recon he will go back to Saxo
Old 08-30-11, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy View Post
I recon he will out of there faster than a fast thing - but not to BMC I recon he will go back to Saxo
After he apologizes for doing a runner at last year’s Vuelta!
Old 08-30-11, 13:44

So the merger is on apparently.... This team is going to be pretty ridiculous, although they will have some issues buying out contracts to get the roster down to 28. Going to be some bargain signings to be had for some teams out there after the roster cull takes place.

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
Old 08-30-11, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
After he apologizes for doing a runner at last year’s Vuelta!
Yep and for all the cr@p he put them through with contracts etc etc , Saxo need him and he needs his DS and team manager back. imo
Old 08-30-11, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy View Post
Yes, just like you reconed Tiralongo will go to Saxo just because Contador threw him a bone.

Also Cancellara is on another level to Hincapie so any allusions to what Bruyneel might do in the hypothetical event that he gets there are a bit pointless.

And at any rate there are better teams than Riis around.