Radioshack-Leopard Trek - Page 53 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 09-05-11, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
The only thing slightly interesting about all this is that we see a car company sponsoring a cycling team. That's a first I think (not counting Peugeot as they made bicycles as well).

Of course we have Skoda with a fairly strong commitment in providing material and some sponsorship, but this is interesting.
...and Citroen were a co-sponsor of La Vie Claire in 1984 or 1985?

In MTB, there was Volkswagen-Trek and Volvo-Cannondale. Subaru was involved in the early '90s with a team Armstrong was in and later was a personal sponsor and maybe a USPS/Disco co-sponsor.

FIAT sponsored Eddy Merckx's team in 1977.
Old 09-05-11, 20:22

incredible what a fail by rat mcquaid again,he was litteraly the boss of this team,going in the winter at their training camp,promoting this team as the future of cycling,the best team in the world and now this.

it will be a force next year no doubt but i don't like this merger.i'd have prefered the two teams
Old 09-05-11, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven View Post
Bruyneel's team is not disappearing. The management and ownership from RS will be in charge of this team.
Really? I missed that part of the press release, could you point it out for me?

The press release does say that the team would be based in Lux and use Leopard's license. I see no mention of Brunyeel.

Are you saying that Johan will run a different team because right now it appears that his team is dead.
Old 09-05-11, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
Didn't they also make bikes? Lots of car makers started as bike manufacturers after all.

I checked and Renault didn't make bikes but bought a bike company that was sponsoring that team and so changed the name of the team to Renault.
I did not know that. I know that Hinault joined the Gitane team in 1975 which also included Van Impe. In 1977 or 1978 Renault-Elf became a sponsor but the team continued to ride Gitane bikes (a company owned presumably by Renault).
Old 09-05-11, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastronef View Post
i just hope Voigt signs with them. to make you angry.
why wishing an "epic fail" to someone?

isn't it better to wish a big win to someone you like?

it is incredible how the haters have come out in numbers in the cycling forums
Oh, it is better. I'm just a sad little person.
I don't hate "them". Schlecklette I strongly dislike, Frank so and so, the Hog - well it's pretty close to hate. He embodies everything wrong with cycling.
Old 09-05-11, 20:27

So Jani is going to be forced to ride the Giro/Vuelta I guess. I'm pretty sure Johan is going to be the manager of the team, because Jani will follow Johan where ever he goes.

Is Bruyneel that toxic that a new team that he is allegedly going to be associated or part owner with does not mention him the 'illustrious' 8 time TdF winning DS in its press release?

An oversight maybe or are they still looking for more sponsors to jump aboard and dont want to scare anyone away?

Not a car manufacturer, but DAF trucks sponsored a team in the early '80s that Roger de Vlaeminck rode for.
Old 09-05-11, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusW View Post
Not a car manufacturer, but DAF trucks sponsored a team in the early '80s that Roger de Vlaeminck rode for.
You're a car enthousiast you are beating me
Old 09-05-11, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
Is Bruyneel that toxic that a new team that he is allegedly going to be associated or part owner with does not mention him the 'illustrious' 8 time TdF winning DS in its press release?

An oversight maybe or are they still looking for more sponsors to jump aboard and dont want to scare anyone away?
Er.. didn't he win 9 (7 with LA and 2 with AC)?