Colombia - Coldeportes - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 09-13-11, 15:33

This is nice news. Was a bit let down that we didn't see much of the Colombians in Europe this year.

Also looks like I was a year early picking a load of Colombians for my CQ team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
Old 09-13-11, 21:31

i am very happy that frank osorio is in the team:he is 1988, but he is improving very fast in the last 2 years. imho he is a rough diamond and if he will be cut in the right way probably we will see an atypical colombian ( he is 188 cm)doing really great things in europe
he is superstrong

cote' grimpeur, i hope that nairo quintana will be confirmed and i am very unhappy that freddy montana is out of the team.he really deserves the chance to be in a better team than boyaca.

the cutting edge for coldeportes will be get invitations in races like dauphinee' , that suit very well the colombians attitude , and to get funding in the right time from colombian governement.
colombia es pasion failed because saldarriaga was not able to confirm the invitation to dauphinee' , which was very likely to happen and to the vuelta, which was very difficult to happen.
the other reason was the lack of funding and the lack of experience on the european scene.
the presence of claudio corti is a better guaranty in terms of experience and organisation,. the support of president santos (which is supposed to be backing strongly coldeportes which has 28 million euros for supporting the colombian sport development)is even more important.

let's hope cafe the colombia times are back: that will be really good for cycling
Old 09-13-11, 21:51

Quote:
colombia es pasion failed because saldarriaga was not able to confirm the invitation to dauphinee'
I think this was because of only 1 French team making the World Tour. Prudhomme promised the Colombians an invite at the 2010 Tour de l'Avenir, but then found, with the 4 French teams, that he had 5 teams for 4 places; unsurprisingly, it was CeP that missed out.
Old 09-13-11, 22:13

Is this really good news? Sounds to me like two strong Colombian teams that were being built up and getting to race in Europe will be severely weakened to start a new team which might not get anywhere.
Old 09-13-11, 23:24

This looks like a really exciting team. I hope they sign Quintana. I could see this team winning every MTF in grand tours in like 4 years with all the young'ns they got on that team. Then all they have to do is sign uran, henao, and rujano and they are a boss team.
Old 09-14-11, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Is this really good news? Sounds to me like two strong Colombian teams that were being built up and getting to race in Europe will be severely weakened to start a new team which might not get anywhere.
yeah i thought epm especially did well this year. ohwell.
Old 09-14-11, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede1 View Post
This looks like a really exciting team. I hope they sign Quintana. I could see this team winning every MTF in grand tours in like 4 years with all the young'ns they got on that team. Then all they have to do is sign uran, henao, and rujano and they are a boss team.
Uran should concern himself with classicvs and hilly races as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-14-11, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
thisd totally. they were illrepared and left without money by their sponsors, especially coldeportes and now we know why. but it is better to indeed have european experienced manager.

other good news is that from next year on the vuelta colombia will be broadcasted live in it's entirety after colombian viewers were quite annoyed by the coverage of the past 2 years especially.
If it means that it will show up on cyclingtorrents, then I will be a very happy man.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
Old 09-14-11, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
I agree we should be cautious at this stage, but it looks like this team will be better funded than either EPM or CeP. EPM have never talked about going pro-conti, and you can see why if you look at the Colombia es Pasion experience this year. They just haven't been able to race much - they had a one month block of racing in Europe in March-April, another one in August, and the Vuelta a Colombia. They haven't been able to take part in other Colombian races due to UCI rules.

Another issue is the biopassport - South America is not covered by the UCI's system, so CeP had to fork out a quarter of their budget to pay for it themselves. A team based in Italy will presumably not have that problem.
Old 09-14-11, 11:24

Sounds good. They could be realistically riding a GT in 2 years.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"