Colombia - Coldeportes - Page 61 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-08-13, 18:49

Good day for Colombia Coldeporte as they secure wild cards for the Giro and Lombardia.
They do miss out on T/A and MSR.
Can't have them all.

Interesting dilemma for them if they secure a wild card spot for the Tour as well, whether to start the trio of Chaves, Duarte and Atapuma or to save one or two for the tour.
Old 01-08-13, 18:57

no way they can do tour too. it will be a mistake.
i think for this year giro is great and hopefully they can get in the vuelta too.
Old 01-08-13, 19:49

Yeah hopefully Coldeportes will be left out of the Tour, but will instead be in for the Vuelta!
Old 01-08-13, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
no way they can do tour too. it will be a mistake.i think for this year giro is great and hopefully they can get in the vuelta too.
Why a mistake???
Prudhomme said he was looking forward to grant an Invitation to them IF they get the results to deserve it-so If they win stages in the Giro while providing excitement - I don't see why don't they deserve a spot Mark my words: If Colombia Team gets to ride the Tour - ASO & the world will not regret it!!!

I do agree however- if they perform discrectly to poor-then yes- It could be a mistake and better off saving the men for the Vuelta.
Old 01-08-13, 21:29

Worrying thing, regardless of what Ryo will say, is squad depth. This team built around the Giro would be cracking, spreading them across Giro & Tour might be a disaster.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-08-13, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
Worrying thing, regardless of what Ryo will say, is squad depth. This team built around the Giro would be cracking, spreading them across Giro & Tour might be a disaster.
Really ?

Good, not cracking. Atapuma could win a stage / go for KOM. Duarte is no way consistent to go for GC, can't even winning him a stage, maybe a hilly one. Who's else ?

Chavez willl be brilliant but can' see him getting great results at Giro yet. Duque ? ... Valencia has very good potential but can't see him doing much yet at Giro.

Calling the team cracking is bit too much... it's a good team for a wildcard like.

Really pleased for them, hope Atapuma can be deliver.

Last edited by Gloin22; 01-08-13 at 21:55.
Old 01-08-13, 22:03

Atapuma will probably lose around 8 minutes in the TT
Old 01-08-13, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudz0r View Post
Atapuma will probably lose around 8 minutes in the TT
That's why I didn't mention GC at any point when talking about him

It's unlikely any of Colombia guys can challenge for GC.

Stages / KOM are much better option. And Atapuma is the best guy there for me.
Old 01-08-13, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Really ?

Good, not cracking. Atapuma could win a stage / go for KOM. Duarte is no way consistent to go for GC, can't even winning him a stage, maybe a hilly one. Who's else ?

Chavez willl be brilliant but can' see him getting great results at Giro yet. Duque ? ... Valencia has very good potential but can't see him doing much yet at Giro.

Calling the team cracking is bit too much... it's a good team for a wildcard like.

Really pleased for them, hope Atapuma can be deliver.
The most important think should be to get grand tour experience plus some confidence due to riding attractive and maybe even getting some nice results @ il giro.

Than they hopefully could archive anything real great @ La Vuelta with Chaves.

The giro will be an important lesson for Coldeportes anyway!
Old 01-08-13, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Why a mistake???
Prudhomme said he was looking forward to grant an Invitation to them IF they get the results to deserve it-so If they win stages in the Giro while providing excitement - I don't see why don't they deserve a spot Mark my words: If Colombia Team gets to ride the Tour - ASO & the world will not regret it!!!

I do agree however- if they perform discrectly to poor-then yes- It could be a mistake and better off saving the men for the Vuelta.
they are not exactly team sky in depth
they can't make giro-tour succesfully. not this year of course
better do first first grand tour with all the ammunition than two grand tours being average
until the vuelta though they can recover.
keep the tour for next year.