Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 11-26-11, 13:46

Having heard about, but never seen, a race on the dunes, I can say that it looks like an absolute nightmare! In bad weather, it would be even worse.

2 and a bit laps to go, Nys and Pauwels have got a gap. Other than that, no idea what's going on as I can't understand the commentary

Last edited by Dancing On The Pedals; 11-26-11 at 13:50.
Old 11-26-11, 14:05

Woah, Nys shut the door HARD there.
Old 11-26-11, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing On The Pedals View Post
Having heard about, but never seen, a race on the dunes, I can say that it looks like an absolute nightmare! In bad weather, it would be even worse.

2 and a bit laps to go, Nys and Pauwels have got a gap. Other than that, no idea what's going on as I can't understand the commentary
That race just ended poorly. Well ridden by Pauwels and Nys. The final sprint was a disaster. I am curious to see how the judges will see this. Nys will likely be relegated.
Old 11-26-11, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post
That race just ended poorly. Well ridden by Pauwels and Nys. The final sprint was a disaster. I am curious to see how the judges will see this. Nys will likely be relegated.
Well Nys got to keep his victory but I thought it was a very dodgy finish. Really enjoyed that race today, Nys is obviously the best at all the technical stuff. I think he was back in 13th or somewhere in the first few laps so was really impressive by him to win from there.
Old 11-26-11, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcg76 View Post
Well Nys got to keep his victory but I thought it was a very dodgy finish. Really enjoyed that race today, Nys is obviously the best at all the technical stuff. I think he was back in 13th or somewhere in the first few laps so was really impressive by him to win from there.
I think it was fair. He closed the door but Pauwels was not level, he was behind. He has zero road nous and Nys was just a wily old fox there. All that protesting was bluster, he was already done well before he sat up.

Pauwels is a bad loser and given his dominance lately, that leaves a bad taste.
Old 11-26-11, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
Woah, Nys shut the door HARD there.
No, not really. This is cyclocross, not some crappy flat stage at the Tour where the organizers relegate you for the most stupid reasons.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-26-11, 15:50

As a Nys fan, I am very happy with the outcome. It does look as though Pauwels had plenty of opportunity to go around the other side, but really wanted to half-wheel Nys on his right.

Nys was technically and tactically superior. He showed the same tactical acumen as in Plzen, when he took advantage of Stybar's error in the closing meters.
Old 11-26-11, 16:01

I was out riding so will have to dl later on or look for highlights but from reading this thread the more reason why cyclocross is great.
Old 11-26-11, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post
As a Nys fan, I am very happy with the outcome. It does look as though Pauwels had plenty of opportunity to go around the other side, but really wanted to half-wheel Nys on his right.

Nys was technically and tactically superior. He showed the same tactical acumen as in Plzen, when he took advantage of Stybar's error in the closing meters.
Yeah, in cyclocross I either root for Niels Albert or the guy that's least dominating

This year it's surprisingly Sven Nys.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-26-11, 16:18

Lost in the sprint discussion is the fact that Bart Aernouts is showing some fantastic form.