Landis considers return to Tour de France - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 03-17-09, 04:23
Banned

Location: I live life on the edge 'cause there's no room in the center
Default Landis considers return to Tour de France

"If I went back to the Tour de France the objective would be to win it again," Landis said. "And the objective would be for the resulting win to give me some time to enjoy it rather than the way it played out last time.

"I would like to win the race and go home and spend time with everybody that supported me and enjoy it rather than spending the next couple of years defending how I won it."

Landis, whose 2006 Tour title was taken from him after he failed a dope test, says he will decide soon whether to take aim at the 2010 Tour.

Go for it, Floyd! You'll be following "another" American's '09 victory...just like last time.

Competition is for the Competent.

Last edited by Robert Merivel; 03-17-09 at 04:45.
Old 03-17-09, 04:34

Might be just my opinion, but Floyd will never race the TDF again.
Old 03-17-09, 04:48
Editor-in-chief

Like his Texas mate he needs to get a life and face reality.....they are both toast.......Contador and Basso are reality........
Old 03-17-09, 05:39
Banned

Location: I live life on the edge 'cause there's no room in the center

Quote:
Originally Posted by last km View Post
Like his Texas mate he needs to get a life and face reality.....they are both toast.......Contador and Basso are reality........
How about this reality

Landis 1 TdF victory
Texas mate 7 TdF victories

Contador and Basso between them 1TdF victory

Would you like a little butter on that? or some vegemite?

Better yet, let's see what happens come late July of this year and late July of next year...fair enough? I'd be happy to remind you, "last km." You'll still be around, right? We could call this a "gentleman's bet." If my calculations are correct, the odd's would be in your favor...two against one, at least for this year.

Competition is for the competent.
Old 03-17-09, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
"I would like to win the race and go home and spend time with everybody that supported me and enjoy it rather than spending the next couple of years defending how I won it."
Here's some advice for "next time" Landis:
1) Don't do the deed if you can't afford to spend the next couple of years defending your alleged victory.
2) Try to avoid having Lemond testify for or against you. It's always a no win when your business partner threatens the witness by going public with childhood abuse allegations and then the witness follows through by being seen as a resentful bitter a-hole despite his cycling accomplishments.
3) Surround yourself with clean riders and a super clean D.S.

But, maybe I have it wrong, and you just needed a better lawyer and more compelling evidence. Still, more power to you for getting back on your bike and riding for a living.

Either way, riding a bike will always beat the hell out of CAS hearings.

2010's shaping up to be an interesting year. Such drama, and it's only 2009.
Old 03-17-09, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookkg386 View Post
Might be just my opinion, but Floyd will never race the TDF again.
Agree, if nothing else the ASO will not let it happen
Old 03-17-09, 07:06

It's not Landis's choice.

You wouldn't welcome someone who came to your house for a summer BBQ and then trashed the place would you? ASO is the same, Given the way he humiliated the Tour de France organisers in associating their prize event with yet another doping scandal, he's not going to come back.

Look at Basso, he may ride it one day but he's spending all his time in a communications exercise to convince people he is sorry and trying to ride clean, whether it is working with Aldo Sassi or Twittering gentle thoughts.

Landis hasn't even written a note of apology to ASO.
Old 03-17-09, 07:12

Landis should be banned for life, not just from the tour but cycling at all levels. The damage he has caused our sport will take a generation to repair. The UCI are far too lenient.
Old 03-17-09, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stani Kléber View Post
It's not Landis's choice.

You wouldn't welcome someone who came to your house for a summer BBQ and then trashed the place would you? ASO is the same, Given the way he humiliated the Tour de France organisers in associating their prize event with yet another doping scandal, he's not going to come back.

Look at Basso, he may ride it one day but he's spending all his time in a communications exercise to convince people he is sorry and trying to ride clean, whether it is working with Aldo Sassi or Twittering gentle thoughts.

Landis hasn't even written a note of apology to ASO.
He hasn't apologized because in his own head( ) he is innocent.
Old 03-17-09, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stani Kléber View Post
Testing of the 1999 samples scientifically proved that Armstrong was doping yet the ASO is letting The Cancer ride this year. Armstrong did more to discredit the TdF results than Landis ever did.

I will place a bet that Basso will ride the TdF next year.