Race Design Thread - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 10-06-11, 20:50

I'll have a go at a more varied Tour of Britain route at some point over the winter. You could put together some really tough stages in Devon, Wales, Lake District and Scotland fairly easily, with acceptable transfer distances in between. An ITT finish around Edinburgh would finish things off nicely.
Old 10-06-11, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
the guys who organized the road race at the Olympics.
Why don't you add you own, preferred route and add it this thread?
Old 10-06-11, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Sounds absolutely evil. I have to admit though, I'm not really au fait with the use of feet as a measuring device in altitude in cycling, I've always struggled with reading American stage maps for that reason; what kind of altitude gain in metres are we talking about in these climbs?
1000 feet= 300 meters.
Old 10-06-11, 21:03

Queen stage time!

Stage 3: Ainhoa - Les Chalets d'Irati, 140km

Starting off from where we finished the previous day, this stage is short and the first half of the stage is completely flat. However, the second half of this stage should decide the race, featuring two of the most underused climbs in France, before finishing with two lesser ascents; there is ample room to attack three climbs out here, with little descending time for dropped riders to bring their attackers back; also the final climb is relatively short and straightforward compared to what's come before, but still easily enough for any groups still together after the pain that's preceded them to be broken up. I expect riders finishing mostly individually at the upper end of the classification here.

As there's no vertical scale there, I'll just give it a sense of scale by pointing out that the stage finishes at 1326m of altitude.

The climbs:

Col d'Elhursaro (HC) 10,0km, 8,6%

(the climb as used here is the section from Ondarolles to Col d'Elhursaro)

Col d'Errozate (HC) 10,1km, 9,6%

Col de Sourzay (cat.2) 5,9km, 4,1%
Col d'Hegichouria (cat.1) 6,0km, 5,3%

Forever tte de la course.
Old 10-06-11, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Sounds absolutely evil. I have to admit though, I'm not really au fait with the use of feet as a measuring device in altitude in cycling, I've always struggled with reading American stage maps for that reason; what kind of altitude gain in metres are we talking about in these climbs?
Sorry didn't notice only part was in meters
went back and added meters as needed.
Old 10-06-11, 21:08

Col d'Elhursaro:

Errozate:

Col d'Iraty (near finish):

Les Chalets d'Irati:

Last edited by Libertine Seguros; 10-06-11 at 21:46.
Old 10-06-11, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5000 View Post
1000 feet= 300 meters.
1 000 feet = 304.8 meters just for the more precise among us

But I do use 300 when the calculator is not handy
Old 10-06-11, 21:43
TeamSkyFans

The tour of Cornwall

213km, mixture of good, and very bad road surfaces. Most of the route follows the coastline so expect northwesterly winds for the first half of the race, and south easterly winds for the second half, and pretty harsh winds in the middle section as it crosses the lizard.

no major climbs, just constant up and down as it goes up to 140m above sea level, down to sea level, back up again, back down again.

The climb details dont tell the whole story though, most of them are made of a very explosive, steep first 500m-750 metres before levelling out hence the low average gradients.

The constant ups and downs, changeable wind conditions and poor road surface would make it pretty tough, as anyone who has ridden in cornwall would know.

and who put the picture up thats wider than my monitor.. grrr

Last edited by TeamSkyFans; 10-06-11 at 21:50.
Old 10-06-11, 22:04

Stage 4: Mauléon-Licharre - Bayonne, 136km

And so our short tour of the northern Basque provinces reaches its conclusion with a short flat stage, running from the capital of Soule/Zuberoa to the capital of Labourd/Lapurdi, finishing on the banks of the Adour. Although the stage is most definitely one for the sprinters, the finish does include a few twists and turns that may offer a late attacker something if they are strong enough. Also, with the likely gaps opened up by the previous stage and the probable lack of depth in the sprinting field, we could get a less predictable finale; the profile suggests that the bunch kick should be decisive, but positioning will be absolutely crucial in the final few corners.

Climbs:
Lapitsague (cat.3) 4,9km @ 3,1%
Galárreguy (cat.3) 3,0km @ 3,6%
Abarratia (cat.3) 2,6km @ 3,6%

Mauléon-Licharre:

Bayonne:

Old 10-06-11, 23:02

Always wanted to see The Tour of Britain make proper use of Exmoor. A couple of laps around the moor starting in Barnstaple and ending in Lynton. Would look like this: (annoyingly it didnt copy the height markings but the profile goes from 0m to just under 400m)

180km with over 3000m of climbing including twice up Porlock Hill (around 25% and a real leg breaker).

The finishing 2kms is at 8% with pitches above 20%. Add to this some very windy exposed moorland roads and we have an exciting stage.

Or on a similar note of starting in Barnstaple and finishing in Lynton 140km takes us along the coast on narrow roads and steep climbs. Cutting up from Porlock to Dunkery before looping round to Minehead and back up Porlock hill and back to Lynton. Similar amount of climbing as the previous route but shorter sharper climbs and a lot more of them.

Last edited by Richeypen; 10-06-11 at 23:20.