U.S. Politics - Page 101 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-18-12, 04:32
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
He has 7 homes, so he lives in 7 states or more, so add another 70%. You are welcome. #Justntryingtohelpyoureducethebudgetdeficit.

Also, many of those 'extra taxes' don't matter for the bottom line (and you know that Scott because you are smart) because everyone else pay those taxes as well, whether you are rich or poor; you pay x% sales taxes or utility, gas license and fee taxes.

With an average of 40k in speaker fees per pop, I don't think big mitt would mind.

If he doesn't like the state taxes, I bet he has the money to relocate, purchase a couple of acres, raze the origininal building on that lot and buy a new one that's twice the original size. Doesn't north Dakota have really low excise taxes? I see a for sale sign in California.... Charity cheques can be sent in the mail, no need to live where you donate.

47% that's my best offer. I gave you the cyclingnews forum friends discount. Take it or leave it.

Have you already cut the budget using:
http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_re...id=85899366327

Please let us know how you really want to address the budgetary problems.
Hmmm. Envy seems not to suit you.

Please let us know how you really want to address the budgetary problems

What budgetary problem? There are none. All we need to do is spend a **** load more money, tax the producers more and everyone will be happy.

I have problems with he pew thingy, so please excuse me for not wasting more of my time with it.
Old 01-18-12, 04:33
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
um, no, Romney supports a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, and yes, that is in fact a stunningly bad idea, especially when you've pledged never to raise taxes.

btw why are Republicans always so eager to amend the Constitution?
Because it's a living breathing document?

Old 01-18-12, 04:37
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
um, no, Romney supports a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, and yes, that is in fact a stunningly bad idea, especially when you've pledged never to raise taxes.

btw why are Republicans always so eager to amend the Constitution?

Yes, we should have a constitutional amendment to never ever have a balanced budget. Too dangerous.
Old 01-18-12, 04:51
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
I have problems with he pew thingy, so please excuse me for not wasting more of my time with it.
Yeah I know. Flash doesn't work properly on Steve's machines. If there is any chance you can get it to work, it's really an eye opener, or so my American friends tell me.

#Justtryingtohelpyoureducethebudgetdeficit.
Old 01-18-12, 06:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
It's like robbing a bank, with the police looking away 53% of the time!
... but you can't get "caught", so it's like robbing a bank, but only getting to keep 53% of what you take. Risk free!!!
Old 01-18-12, 09:25

Funny you guys are all over Romney because of his taxes. He filed them correctly. This is a symptom of what is wrong; he is not the reason it is like this. The tax code is what it is because of elected politicians.

Again, this will not doom Romney. There are other reasons to dislike the guy but this goes nowhere.
Old 01-18-12, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Funny you guys are all over Romney because of his taxes. He filed them correctly. This is a symptom of what is wrong; he is not the reason it is like this. The tax code is what it is because of elected politicians.

Again, this will not doom Romney. There are other reasons to dislike the guy but this goes nowhere.
You're probably right, unless it turns out that he has done something that is not 100% legal.

Quote:
And if his rate turns out to be lower than 15 percent (a feat usually achieved through various tax avoidance schemes),
http://loyalopposition.blogs.nytimes...romneys-taxes/
Old 01-18-12, 13:10

Perry puts foot in mouth part 27.

Quote:
Istanbul (CNN) -- Turkey's foreign ministry condemned Texas Gov. Rick Perry Tuesday for saying that Turkey was a "country that is being ruled by what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists."

Perry made the statement during a spirited debated between Republican presidential candidates in South Carolina Monday night.

Most of Turkey was fast asleep during the live broadcast, and Turkish newspapers had already gone to print by the time Perry declared that Turkey had moved "far away from the country I lived in back in the 1970s United States Air Force. That was our ally that worked with us, but today we don't see that."
Quote:
A spokesman for Turkey's foreign ministry fired back Tuesday, accusing Perry of making "baseless and improper claims."

In a statement e-mailed to CNN, Selcuk Unal said presidential candidates should "be more informed about the world and be more careful their statements."

"The unfortunate views of Perry are not shared in any case by Republican party supporters, considering the weak support he has received in public polls and primary elections," Unal concluded.

U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the State Department "absolutely and fundamentally" disagrees with Perry's statements.

Turkey is "Islamic democracy in action," Toner added, calling Ankara a "stalwart ally" with which the United States has a "strong partnership."
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/17/wo...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 01-18-12, 13:20
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Goes on to show that Perry and his staff (?) are a bunch of clueless idiots. It took him only 237 debates to once not look and sound like a fool. How's that for learning curve.

Does anyone think this sopa issue is going to be discussed during the GOP primaries?

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/how-c...-con-congress/

Good to see that someone finally starts looking into those apocalyptical claims that piracy and counterfeit goods kill 300 gazillion jobs per hour in the US.

"Job killer" has bumped "national security" down to second place (still a good second, followed by "the American people want [fill in stupidity]) to ram things through.
Old 01-18-12, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Yes, we should have a constitutional amendment to never ever have a balanced budget. Too dangerous.
It's political grandstanding, even proponents know that it's impractical at best - not least because there is no standard federal accounting system. Can you imagine Congress trying to decide on a standard accounting system? Let alone what would have to be cut - since raising taxes would require a supermajority, and no R can vote for that - to balance the federal budget? Yeah right.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...gets-view.html

Quote:
Here’s a better idea: If House Republicans want a balanced budget, why don’t they propose one? Republicans controlled both houses of Congress and the White House during President George W. Bush’s first term. There was nothing to stop them from submitting and enacting a balanced budget. But they never did.