U.S. Politics - Page 197 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 03-07-12, 20:17
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
And how much do you consider "slashed"? We spend more than the next 24 nations combined on defense, even though all 24 of them are considered our allies. I'd say if we made a 50% cut, that would be slashing it. Even though we'd still have a gargantuan military. How much do you think is slashing it?

He was essentially running in Marcy Kaptur's district, after redistricting cost him his. So no, I'm not really shocked.
Panetta testimony:

Quote:
“No budget can be balanced on the back of discretionary spending alone,” he said. “Based on my own budget experience, I strongly believe that all areas of the federal budget must be put on the table -- not just discretionary, but mandatory spending and revenues. That’s the responsible way to reduce deficits and the responsible way to avoid ‘sequester’ provisions contained in Title 3 of the Budget Control Act.”

Sequestration would mandate another $500 billion in cuts over nine years from defense alone. The secretary called the provision a “meat ax” approach to fiscal policy, and said it would cause tremendous harm to America’s national security posture.

“These cuts would, in fact, hollow out the force and inflict severe damage to our national defense,” he said. Panetta stressed that it is not a question of choosing between fiscal responsibility and national security.

“While I understand the differences, there should be consensus on one thing: that the leaders of both the legislative and executive branches of government have a duty to protect both our national and fiscal security,” the secretary said. “I fundamentally do not believe that we have to choose between fiscal discipline and national security. I believe we can maintain the strongest military in the world and be part of a comprehensive solution to deficit reduction.”
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=67358

I'm guessing, if nothing changes, by the first of next year Panetta will consider the defense budget having been "slashed".
Old 03-07-12, 20:27

the only thing I can contribute to this conversation is that this isn't a star wars script. good vs evil bal bal bla but alas it is in our media world because news isn't presented as news. it is interpreted for us by analysts

If religious groups want to play in politics then let them pay the admission fee. Tax them.

memo to the GOP I know it may very well help us with the voter turn out in the lower dregs of our group but just go ahead and lose the social and religious front. no one with a logical bone in their body buys a word of it
Old 03-07-12, 20:30

Keystone and Federal Infrastructure contracting with China is a way to get Obama on the defensive btw. more talk on that would be nice
Old 03-07-12, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
At any rate, the "I don't bluff" comment from this Prez probably got little more than a chuckle from Ahmadinejad. And I'm not getting the impression Bibi was too impressed either.
Sorry, do you really think either Bibi or Ahmadinejad are going to be kowtowed by Mitt Romney? That's hilarious. At least Obama is acting like an adult.
Old 03-07-12, 20:49
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
He was essentially running in Marcy Kaptur's district, after redistricting cost him his. So no, I'm not really shocked.

Kaptur's been in DC since the early 80's and Kucinich is fairly high-profile and the press loves the guy.

I would have expected him to do better than getting a beat-down.

But then Kaptur had this edge;

Quote:
The new 9th Congressional District stretches more than 100 miles from Cleveland (Kucinich’s base) all the way west to Toledo, encompassing 47 percent of her current district. That gave her an edge, as did her years of work on the Appropriations Committee, from which she funneled hundreds of millions of dollars to northern Ohio.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...rvR_story.html
Old 03-07-12, 21:05
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Sorry, do you really think either Bibi or Ahmadinejad are going to be kowtowed by Mitt Romney? That's hilarious. At least Obama is acting like an adult.

I don't think Romney would ever think to want or have Bibi kowtow to him.

Ahmadinejad is not smart enough to kowtow to anyone in the west including BO.

As for BO... when thinking of his foreign policy with respect to this issue 'adult' is not the first term that pops into my mind. Sorry.
Old 03-07-12, 21:16

Scott. If Cali were held right now, who would you vote for.

And is that the same answer as you would have given me 1 or 2 months ago?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 03-07-12, 21:35
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Scott. If Cali were held right now, who would you vote for.

And is that the same answer as you would have given me 1 or 2 months ago?
Romney.

I think it's the same.

I'm not wild about the R choices and have not been since day 1. I thought all along Romney would win because of his apparatus more than any other single reason and that he can appeal to the independents that voted for BO in 2008.
Old 03-07-12, 21:56

Quote:
Romney.

I think it's the same.

I'm not wild about the R choices and have not been since day 1. I thought all along Romney would win because of his apparatus more than any other single reason and that he can appeal to the independents that voted for BO in 2008.
If you don't mind my asking, who did you vote for in 08? Im talking primary not ge

Cali was on ST then I think, so it was still Mccain vs Romney just about.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 03-07-12, 22:05

Quote:
Romney.

I think it's the same.

It is a shame that Mitt Romney does not have the enthusiasm or vision to come up with issues that could change people’s impression of him.

Does anyone remember the 1980’s MADE IN THE USA campaigns that were going on? Even Wallmart boasted about MADE IN THE USA. One thing Mitt could do,,,,,is or would be to try and bring back some of that type of enthusiasm to change average Americans visions on the future.

If he worded it correctly he could even sell the southern republicans on “the facts” about getting completely out of the wars abroad. He does not even have to tiptoe around “the fact” the wars were either started without real information etc. He can acknowledge the mistakes made and offer that since he is a business leader that you have “lessons learned” etc.

What happens is we bogged down trash about “issues” that are not worth the time or crazy half baked solutions on taxes etc. Some broad jobs plans are not worth talking about. Simplify.