U.S. Politics - Page 200 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 03-08-12, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Go back a few pages, we beat that horse pretty good as who who's going to run on what.

Which is what this reminds me of. However, Kerry did have his military record. But when the Swift Boat Vets showed up, instead of taking them on and showing his strength, he came off like he didn't have to respond - the snobby elitist his (other) critics were saying he was.

Romney may not need (or get) the machine to successfully smear Obama, but he's going to have to come up with something more tangible than what he's doing now. Because as is, he comes off like the suit that's about to downsize you just before he collects his golden parachute.

I do agree with Scott on one thing though, if somehow Romney can turn into a candidate with a clear appealing plan and strong message, and manages to turn his personality switch on, Obama's fairly miserable three years could be ripe for picking. I just haven't see it in Romney, at all really. Or any of the Republican candidates. The most personable have been, believe it or not, Newt and Cain (and Sarah). But they didn't have the goods.

Some batch of choices.

All of this goes back to what I said some time ago. I think Romney will get he nomination, and lose a close election to Obama with a very low turnout. But I do think Congress will get heavily tossed (both parties).
Right. People turned out to vote against McCain for example because the preceding years had been unacceptable. And the unhinged continuation of that was too much to entertain. People won't turn out just to vote against a weak record.
Old 03-08-12, 14:08
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip:30 View Post
Broken record for months now!

What's he going to run on what's he going to run on what's he going to run on what's he going to run on what's he going to run on

If I were him I'd just keep it logical and grounded in reality. For me and a lot of moderately left people, his ability to actually reason through debates & discussions and not get way the **** out there with over the top BS wins my vote. One of the many problems with the current R party is that it's a complete mockery of reality and consistency. Big gov'ts bad, but we need to start a bunch of wars and we need to subsidized any highest bidding corporate interest. Freedom is good, except when it come to religion, sex, or really anything at all that is different than our fat bloated white bread values. We support hard working blue collar middle class folk, except when it comes to tax structure, social safety nets, or really anything at all.

It's laughable to think that slick Mitt can energize either the far right social conservatives or blue collar types. He completely lacks the Bush "hell ya I'll buy you a beer" type of charisma. He's a yacht owing country club type who appeals only to other yacht owning hedge fund manipulators.

I will enjoy quoting all of Scott's prophetic election predictions later this year. You have to admire the consistency of Republican confidence if nothing else.
Your poster is cute. Too bad it's not real accurate.

Just as an example, GM stock that the tax payer owns is underwater by around $30 Billion. GM shares closed yesterday at $24.88 per share. The taxpayer will need to get $53 per share to break even.

Deficit reduction? Not so much. In fact this prez commissioned a blue ribbon commission and then totally ignored their recommendations. Remember Simpson-Bowles? I bet Romney does.

Saved the US auto industry? Well, no. Ford did not take a nickel of bail out money. How are they doing?

He did get Bin Laden. So there's that.

Quote:
I will enjoy quoting all of Scott's prophetic election predictions later this year
I will enjoy this too.
Old 03-08-12, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip:30 View Post

If I were him I'd just keep it logical and grounded in reality. For me and a lot of moderately left people, his ability to actually reason through debates & discussions and not get way the **** out there with over the top BS wins my vote.
What President does "get in the **** out there with over the top BS"?

All presidents know that the best tactic is to just keep to yourself and let whats going out there stay out there. Doint it any other way will even be seen as unpresidentiai.

As for Obama reasoning through debates? This is the guy who run on cheap slogans - "yes we can" and "change we can believe in" bla bla bla. . There was no reason in his campaign, just vague promises.
Shame to see people still think he represents a new level of politics all that.

What was Obamas response when he was asked what Clinton was doing as secretary of state or why guantanmo wasnt shut down. Reason through debate? No. "lets look to the future and not dwell in the past".

Obama is as cheap a politician as any of them. like Romney he cares about 1 thing, being president.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 03-08-12, 16:38

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/mag...754.php?page=1

Quote:
He’s gotten more done in three years than any president in decades. Too bad the American public still thinks he hasn’t accomplished anything...In short, when judging Obama’s record so far, conservatives measure him against their fears, liberals against their hopes, and the rest of us against our pocketbooks. But if you measure Obama against other presidents—arguably the more relevant yardstick—a couple of things come to light. Speaking again in terms of sheer tonnage, Obama has gotten more done than any president since LBJ. But the effects of some of those achievements have yet to be felt by most Americans, often by design. Here, too, Obama is in good historical company.
Exactly. It's a shame so many people either don't get this or - hey scott - refuse to even acknowledge the possibility. But it's true.
Old 03-08-12, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/mag...754.php?page=1

Exactly. It's a shame so many people either don't get this or - hey scott - refuse to even acknowledge the possibility. But it's true.
Written by Paul Glastris, speechwriter for Bill Clinton. Not much bias there right?
Old 03-08-12, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldman View Post
Written by Paul Glastris, speechwriter for Bill Clinton. Not much bias there right?
Maybe you should actually read the article.
Old 03-08-12, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Maybe you should actually read the article.
I did.........
Old 03-08-12, 17:18

Quote:
I did.........
Then you see that Glastris is actually quite critical.
Old 03-08-12, 17:19

Quote:
I did.........

it's a complete fluff piece. he's done the job that was handed him and not made things substantially worse--yet.
Old 03-08-12, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
he's done the job that was handed him and not made things substantially worse--yet.
um, the Affordable Health Care Act was "handed" to him? Restructuring the banks was "handed" to him? Eliminating bin Laden was "handed" to him? Reversing Bush-era "enhanced" interrogation techniques was "handed" to him? Kicking banks out of the student aid program was "handed" to him? Expanding Pell Grants was "handed" to him? Creating Race to the Top was "handed" to him? Boosting fuel efficiency requirements was "handed" to him? Passing credit card reform was "handed" to him? Creating the conditions necessary to start closing down the dirtiest power plants was "handed" to him? The new START treaty was "handed" to him? Reversing the Bush-era restrictions on stem-cell research was "handed" to him?

Please. That's ridiculous.