U.S. Politics - Page 249 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 04-14-12, 15:31
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Ah, that's right, dependency on the State is what the left wants; while the right yearns to bring all those jobs back home, which the capitalists took to foreign shores, where the labor market was more convenient!?!?!

Brilliant analysis!

As if the right hasn't fanatically pushed for the globalization we have gotten following the neoliberal ideology they have always most purely incarnated! As if the right hasn't made an expedient out of just about every source of unscrupulousness, falsehood, mendacity, baseness and bigotry among the financial-industrial-military-religious establishments to hold a perpetual power over the State, to the point at which anyone with a true leftist agenda in America has only the guarantee of either dismal failure or assassination! Other than instigating class war: the right has verily been the fabricators of class. A class machine that unremittingly grinds out an ever growing class of working slobs with sh!tty pay, relentless hours, no pensions, no vacations, no healthcare, no higher education they can afford to send their children to without having them incurring colossal debt, a second rate infrastructure of roads and bridges to use, polluted waterways, a befouled and ruined landscape, cities infested with every type of criminal, cut-throat and lowlife, public schools often beyond all hope and so forth; and a class of uber-wealthy who spend their time at tasteless golf courses making their appalling business deals to see how they can continue to screw everyone else!

Just how many billions does one need?
As many as one wishes to earn. What's it to you?

BTW, you were able to work mulitudes of talking points in the paragraph above while actually saying very little. Many words, multiple cliches. Well done.
Old 04-14-12, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post

BTW, you were able to work mulitudes of talking points in the paragraph above while actually saying very little. Many words, multiple cliches. Well done.
Being able to earn that many billions entails a social contract (and typically stems from some instance of privatization), which in turn--both the contract and the privatization; the latter more extreme--implies some "confiscation" of labor.

(Which as you know is the basic definition of capital.) Otherwise, to stick with your Palinesque rhetoric, one can shovel ice all day in Alaska and not worry one bit about the yields of their labor being confiscated. So where do you locate a reasonable adjustment of those differences?
Old 04-14-12, 16:19
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
...but that is how capitalism, your heaven on earth, works...so what is your point?...that you have had an epiphany, and now see capitalism for what it is...or is this proof positive you don't have a real clue about how things actually work and that you don't know what you talking about (apart, of course, from the faux insight that comes with recycling pre-packaged right wing talking points, packed as they usually are, with nothing but vacuous truthiness )....

...btw...welcome back...I really missed you....honest...

Cheers

blutto

Lessons in real life Capitalism from the resident collectivist/stateist is mildly amusing.
Old 04-14-12, 16:22
Scott SoCal

Quote:
...your cluelessness is absolutely breathtaking...

Cheers

blutto
Thanks. I work hard at my cluelessness.

If you buckle down, you might also become clueless... Maybe by lunchtime if you really apply yourself.

Best of luck.
Old 04-14-12, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Being able to earn that many billions entails a social contract (and typically stems from some instance of privatization), which in turn--both the contract and the privatization; the latter more extreme--implies some "confiscation" of labor.

(Which as you know is the basic definition of capital.) Otherwise, to stick with your Palinesque rhetoric, one can shovel ice all day in Alaska and not worry one bit about the yields of their labor being confiscated. So where do you locate a reasonable adjustment of those differences?
He perceives no such social contract, which, to him, would negate one's liberty to boundless appetite that thus has neither proportion nor measure. The individual lives in a vacuum, and as such, is extraneous to society, which is invisible to him. He believes that the money I make is thus nobody’s business because it was magically made out of thin air.

That some are literally chocking on the billions they have earned, while billions of others are starving is of absolutely no consequence. Period.

Last edited by rhubroma; 04-14-12 at 16:49.
Old 04-14-12, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post

The tragic truth is that none of those things I said were cliches. Neither were those about the left I said another post.

That you see them as such, only evidences how out of touch the cliches of your worldview has distorted your perception of reality. This is not only ironic, but a cause for concern about the state of your mental health.
Old 04-14-12, 17:09

Quote:
He perceives no such social contract, which, to him, would negate one's liberty to boundless appetite that thus has neither proportion nor measure. The individual lives in a vacuum, and as such, is extraneous to society, which is invisible to him. He believes that the money I make is thus nobody’s business because it was magically made out of thin air.

That some are literally chocking on the billions they have earned, while billions of others are starving is of absolutely no consequence. Period.
That would be one's general impression. Until it's convincingly demonstrated otherwise though, I prefer to believe that there's a basic disconnect between the various socio/cultural/economic and political implantations that he's accumulated over the years. Plus the basic element of put upon provocation.

Lived reality would suggest one thing and a very real set of limits and constraints for most of the population.

The low-watt media sources he chooses to share generally reinforce that fragmentation while suggesting that there's a still a reality of infinite means just slightly out of everyone's reach. All they need to do is try a little harder and elect a government whose members share their values (while shopping at Tiffanys).
Old 04-14-12, 17:21
Scott SoCal

Quote:
The tragic truth is that none of those things I said were cliches. Neither were those about the left I said another post.

That you see them as such, only evidences how out of touch the cliches of your worldview has distorted your perception of reality. This is not only ironic, but a cause for concern about the state of your mental health.
The real tragedy here is your assumptions of those that disagree with you politically. And your total lack of curiosity. And your presumption of superiority.

But then know-it-alls tend to be this way, don't they?

Btw, I will take your concern for my mental health and raise you with my concern for your complete lack of humor and happiness.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 04-14-12 at 17:33.
Old 04-14-12, 17:31
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
That would be one's general impression. Until it's convincingly demonstrated otherwise though, I prefer to believe that there's a basic disconnect between the various socio/cultural/economic and political implantations that he's accumulated over the years. Plus the basic element of put upon provocation.

Lived reality would suggest one thing and a very real set of limits and constraints for most of the population.

The low-watt media sources he chooses to share generally reinforce that fragmentation while suggesting that there's a still a reality of infinite means just slightly out of everyone's reach. All they need to do is try a little harder and elect a government whose members share their values (while shopping at Tiffanys).
Well, unlike you I think that most are capable of all sorts of achievements, successes and excellence when allowed to pursue whatever one deems important.

Be it bike racing, business, education or basket weaving. I do realize I am in a distinct minority around here that think this way. Thankfully, in the real world, there are many who still are pursuing their passions whatever they may be.

I do get the feeling that some of you guys really resent those that don't want or need much help from central govt. Maybe it is just my perception. Being clueless does have some drawbacks.
Old 04-14-12, 17:55
Scott SoCal

Quote:
...the real tragic thing is you don't realize that the very thing that got us out of the trees and onto the path to humanity is the very thing you and your ilk try at every opportunity to tear down...its not all just a political issue, a oft trivial difference of opinion...

...hint...we moved along the path to humanity powered by syntax and not as you would believe, semantics...

...and that presumption of superiority of which you speak...well in some cases it is unfortunately not a presumption but merely a given...one of the drawbacks of being seen as clueless (and admittedly so I may add)...

Cheers

blutto
Oh, the "it takes a villiage" mentality.

At some point you will come to realize there are things larger than yourself. Sometimes it can take a while, but be patient.

Edit: it must be terribly burdensome to be so smart that your only possible conclusion to opposing points of view is chalked up to lack of intelligence. Most intelligent people I know are, among other things, extremely curious. I don't see much of that from you which is not at all surprising.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 04-14-12 at 18:08.