electronic campagnolo groupo; yea or nay? - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

View Poll Results: campagnolo, yea or nay?
yes 22 61.11%
no 9 25.00%
maybe 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-11, 02:36

Default electronic campagnolo groupo; yea or nay?

here it is for all of us campagnolo fans. weigh in on whether or not you are excited about campy's (campag's in brit-speak) new electronic groupo.

personally, i am going to wait. but the article on CN makes a compelling case.

Last edited by gregod; 11-08-11 at 03:04.
Old 11-08-11, 02:41

Always like new tech stuff, sure it's going to work well. I view it as a luxury item anyways, don't know if I will ever bother with it but at the same time I admire the engineering.
Old 11-08-11, 03:17

Yey!

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, why did they not go all the way and do it wireless! Come on its 2011 and there are still wires? I guess having it wireless in 1999 on Mektronic was not good enough? Having used it, it was just like smoke and mirrors to others, very over the top. As is its more of a copy of Shimano and not a super improvement other than being Campy

I would also be more interested in a rear only electronic shifter or at least have the option of it. The big battery is mainly for the huge force required for the front derailure, a rear only model would make it even lighter, but mainly less bulky.

That being said, its a must buy.

Remaining question is, how much am I going to have to fork over for it?

Last edited by ElChingon; 11-08-11 at 03:19. Reason: fork; then on
Old 11-08-11, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
Yey!

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, why did they not go all the way and do it wireless! Come on its 2011 and there are still wires? I guess having it wireless in 1999 on Mektronic was not good enough? Having used it, it was just like smoke and mirrors to others, very over the top. As is its more of a copy of Shimano and not a super improvement other than being Campy

I would also be more interested in a rear only electronic shifter or at least have the option of it. The big battery is mainly for the huge force required for the front derailure, a rear only model would make it even lighter, but mainly less bulky.

That being said, its a must buy.

Remaining question is, how much am I going to have to fork over for it?
wired vs. wireless is my biggest reservation. i think that is another reason why the battery was made the way it was. a future iteration will be wireless.

i liked the mektronik, too. i was given a set when someone got sick of the problems. it looked cool and when it worked, it was fun. but it was pretty fiddly.

that said, i will probably buy it when it's available. however, i will do my best to wait until i have seen how it performs with average riders.
Old 11-08-11, 03:40

Quote:
Yey!

I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again, why did they not go all the way and do it wireless! Come on its 2011 and there are still wires?
I don't know for sure, obviously, but my guess is a combination of reliability and simplicity.

Wireless would mean 3 or 4 batteries, not one, all of which would have to be kept recharged.

Not to mention is that wireless communication is far more susceptible to interference, deliberate or not, than wires.

I would suggest that, at least for a first iteration, the KISS principle applies.
Old 11-08-11, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmerk View Post
I don't know for sure, obviously, but my guess is a combination of reliability and simplicity.

Wireless would mean 3 or 4 batteries, not one, all of which would have to be kept recharged.

Not to mention is that wireless communication is far more susceptible to interference, deliberate or not, than wires.

I would suggest that, at least for a first iteration, the KISS principle applies.
I think my reference being the Mektronic the batteries were those small CR2032's sure one in the derailure and one in the CPU, and if you used the speed sensor one more. But those things are so small and light, you could carry three extras and not even notice them! The Mektronic only had issues near radar guns and some high interference areas which were rather obvious once you put two and two together (my experience anyway). The world has gone wireless and bluetooth would work fine! Even resetting it mid ride would not be an issue, I would reset my Mektronic while riding and no problem just no shifting for a few seconds. Technology is way more advanced than back in 1999 for the Mektronic, you're telling me something that was OK is worse now? No its much better. Wireless baby, its the way to go.

KISS is going keep them off the radar, wireless and they move back above the Shimano tech where it should be.
Old 11-08-11, 04:11

Seems gimmicky compared to Di2. Sweep the entire cassette with a long button press? Who cares?

I suppose Campag has to make themselves seem innovative. After all, they've spent 30 years copying Shimano innovation. Maybe one day, Campaq will think of something new and useful that Shimano will see fit to copy.
Old 11-08-11, 04:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
Seems gimmicky compared to Di2. Sweep the entire cassette with a long button press? Who cares?

I suppose Campag has to make themselves seem innovative. After all, they've spent 30 years copying Shimano innovation. Maybe one day, Campaq will think of something new and useful that Shimano will see fit to copy.
i have that now on my mechanical record and it is a great feature. i wonder if sram is going to be next on the electronic bandwagon.

hey mavic, are you listening? it is time to bring back mektronik updated with modern materials and electronics!
Old 11-08-11, 04:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
You need to check your facts buddy boy.
Old 11-08-11, 04:38

Quote:
The Mektronic only had issues near radar guns and some high interference areas which were rather obvious once you put two and two together (my experience anyway). The world has gone wireless and bluetooth would work fine! Even resetting it mid ride would not be an issue, I would reset my Mektronic while riding and no problem just no shifting for a few seconds.
It's the 2012 Tour on the Champs Elysees. All the sprinters teams are lining up, with Cav looking to rescue a disappointing Sky campaign after Brad Wiggins' spectacular blowup on the Port de Bales. The GreenEdge "grunt rush" is ready again, and Marcel Kittel's Bosch-Shimano teammates are also straining at the bit, again hoping to show their wildcard was well deserved. And there's Andre Griepel's leadout...but where's Andre? He's dropped the wheel? What happened?

A later slow-motion replay shows the problem. At the crucial moment, he's left unable to change gears, spinning out helplessly as his team accelerates. A few seconds later, and his race is over.

The team is puzzled. What happened? The only conclusion is that one of the hundreds of radio frequency sources in the area at the time just happened to screw with Griepel's bike.

Mechanical shifting glitches happen too, but given the persistent skepticism about electronic shifting it receives saturation coverage in the cycling media.

I don't blame campy for going with wired shifting one bit.