South American race thread - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-09-11, 00:32

Default South American race thread

Decided to start a thread dedicated to the Spanish speaking cyclists. And I'm not talking about Spaniards. Basically about the racing that happens in the region of South America. Colombia, Venezuela, etc. It may be the off season over in Europe, but they're having some races in South America right now. To start off, the Vuelta a Costa Rica's on the 16th of this month.
Old 12-09-11, 07:34

Good thread.
Old 12-09-11, 23:25

vuelta costa rica will feature 3x!!! cerro de la muerte 3451 meters!!

there will probably also be a livestream. it's broadcasted every day live on national tv and boyaca come with their strongets lineup after losing the vuelta last year mostly due to the downhilling of rojas and others

favorites imo:

freddy montana, ivan casas, henry raabe mendez, jose adrian bonilla, juan carlos rojas villegas, gregory brenes, oscar soliz, marconi duran, arnold alcolea, jorge luis montenegro

rojas is the big star of costa rican cycling. last year he beat the colombians of boyaca and he is like the costa rican version of vino. small. heavy, strong, aggressive and allround

the cerro de la muerte is legendary for it's climb but even morelegendary for the downhils towards perez zeledon. costa rica is the country with the best downhillers in the world and they give away shows rarely seen. jose adrian bonilla is arguaby the greatest downhiller right now and be sure to check him out

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 12-09-11 at 23:29.
Old 12-10-11, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post

the cerro de la muerte is legendary for it's climb but even morelegendary for the downhils towards perez zeledon. costa rica is the country with the best downhillers in the world and they give away shows rarely seen. jose adrian bonilla is arguaby the greatest downhiller right now and be sure to check him out
Any profiles available?
Old 12-10-11, 09:19

Did anybody else here follow la Vuelta a Chiriqui?
Old 12-10-11, 10:06

yeah I followed it a bit. won by carretero incredibel talent from panama going to movistar next year. he is an amazing itt prospect also internationally I think.

overall the climbs in the race weren't too hard so carretero could always be brought back but it's a great win for him after3x winner of tour panama and now biggest race in panama vuelta chiriqui and he has just turned 21
Old 12-10-11, 10:07

Quote:
yeah I followed it a bit. won by carretero incredibel talent from panama going to movistar next year. he is an amazing itt prospect also internationally I think.

overall the climbs in the race weren't too hard so carretero could always be brought back but it's a great win for him after3x winner of tour panama and now biggest race in panama vuelta chiriqui and he is only 21
Yeah. He had a great team behind him. He carried the lead in all but one stage if I'm not mistaken. One hell of a TT position that he has as well.
Old 12-10-11, 10:12

his team was indeed great and well prepared. his position on the bike is amazing. there's a lot of money behind him he's also got the greatest equipment. I think his dad is the director of panama cycling federation and himself a great cyclist too and his grandfather too.we have to see how much progress he can make but he's on a different level in itt and could be going to movistar pt in 2013 I think
Old 12-10-11, 10:23

Quote:
his team was indeed great and well prepared. his position on the bike is amazing. there's a lot of money behind him he's also got the greatest equipment. I think his dad is the director of panama cycling federation and himself a great cyclist too and his grandfather too.we have to see how much progress he can make but he's on a different level in itt and could be going to movistar pt in 2013 I think
Indeed, he's on a different level in ITT:

World Championships U23 (Kobenhavn) I.T.T. (35.2 km) 19/09/2011

1. [AUS] DURBRIDGE Luke JAI 42'47"

55. [PAN] CARRETERO MARCIAQ Ramon - 04'42"