MVP tests positive - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-13-11, 21:24

found this article very interesting

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...testing_121211

Quote:
And whether this was Braun’s game or not (Braun has appealed and his lawyers insist he is innocent), here’s what Conte believes is going on out there:

Baseball players – along with other athletes – are loading up on synthetic testosterone (and perhaps HGH) at night, when the body is repairing itself between games and workouts. The testosterone is administered through patches, gels, creams or orals. By the following afternoon, when that player is vulnerable to MLB testing, the ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone is beneath the 4-to-1 ratio that triggers a positive test.

“It’s a loophole,” Conte said, “you could drive a Mack truck through.”
it makes perfect sense, it sounds exactly what cyclists did for years during grand tours
Old 12-14-11, 10:33

Question I DO have a question and it is a serious one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
Braun has said he would never take steroids because if he did, he would hit "60 or 70 home runs".

He should be suspended for taking 'roids and never coming near the pre-set minimum quota.
Yankees fans would be lined up around the block for refunds. 'I plunked down $1000 a ticket and these aging science experiments can't even make it to the league championship?'

At least Jeter got like 17 hits the night he got his 3000th hit. Of course, they will paying him and A-Rod millions well into their 40's to play at a AAA minor league level.

For those of you who don't care for the sport, why post about your dislike? It's like people who can't stand cycling posting in this forum. Of all sports fans to cop that attitude...

As for the money, I am not too worried about Mr Braun. I am presuming guilt here. He made his faustian bargain. As we all should be aware as cycling fans: Take the dope and have a career, skip it and take your chances at best. Perhaps without it he's an average player making half of what he makes. 50 games? whatever.

Do we have any 40-something's - or above - in here that take testosterone? Serious question. Not as a cycling PED but just as a PED for daily life or any other reason?
Old 12-16-11, 17:58

Baseball writers protect the guilty.

The same as in tennis. These bastids who call themselves "journalists", hold their finger up to see which way the wind is blowing, before stating their "opinion".
Old 12-16-11, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...enhancing-drug

Ryan Braun, who won the National League’s Most Valuable Player award this past season, has tested positive for synthetic testosterone. Braun is hardly the first big name in MLB to be associated with PES, but for so many of the others (e.g., McGwire, A-Rod, Clemens, Bonds, Ortiz), this became known only some time after the fact, and often was based simply on witness testimony. Braun actually tested positive during this year’s playoffs:

I'm thinking Braun might have been one of the first victims of the new HGH test. Scared off by that, he thought he could away with T.

Needless to say, Braun is disputing the results. Maybe he should hire Floyd as a technical advisor.
The second to last paragraph of your post makes no sense. MLB players can get a TUE for testosterone, it wouldn't have been a positive if he had one to begin with .
Old 02-24-12, 00:57

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/76...ame-suspension

And the US has lost any credibility it may have had left.
Old 02-24-12, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post

Really, they lost any credibility years ago.
Old 02-24-12, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post

I think Lance wrote his statment:

"I am very pleased and relieved by today's decision," Braun said in a statement. "It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation. We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.

"We provided complete cooperation throughout, despite the highly unusual circumstances. I have been an open book, willing to share details from every aspect of my life as part of this investigation, because I have nothing to hide. I have passed over 25 drug tests in my career, including at least three in the past year."

25 tests! Wow!
Old 02-24-12, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Really, they lost any credibility years ago.
Thus "may" have had left. There still may have been a few people who believed the sham.
Old 02-24-12, 01:37

Quote:
Braun's initial T/E ratio was more than 20:1. Sources previously confirmed synthetic testosterone in his system.
Quote:
"MLB and cable sports tried to sully the reputation of an innocent man," Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on Twitter. "Picked the wrong guy to mess with. Truth will set u free #exonerated."
What an idiot Rodgers is. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, just shut up.

Quote:
Ramirez at first retired rather than face a 100-game suspension for a second positive test. Wanting to return this year, he is serving a 50-game penalty -- the length was shortened because he missed most of last year.
To put this in cycling terms, Ricco “retires” for half a season following his botched transfusion, then is hired at a bargain rate by Riis, and is allowed to begin riding after a couple of months. Riis, meanwhile, is portrayed in a movie as one of the wisest leaders in sports.
Old 02-24-12, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
What an idiot Rodgers is. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, just shut up.
He knows exactly what he's talking about. He's on the same juice. Lance is next, I'm sure.