Giro 2012 Field Discussion/Rumours - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-14-12, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I'm afraid that the field will be weakest from 2004.
definitely looks like.
but acquarone was brilliant though..."hey we'll have a shiity startlist this year, what we do??we throw out garzelli and di luca.invite netapp"
Old 01-14-12, 14:14
Administrator

I think 2007 field was worse.
Old 01-14-12, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
worse than 2004?no
i'd say at 2010 level
Old 01-14-12, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
You state that as a fact but last year's TT result over 26km

1. MILLAR David GRM 30'13" 70
2. RASMUSSEN Alex THR 07" 40
3. CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto SBS 36" 25
11. NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 01'18" 0
16. KREUZIGER Roman AST 01'26" 0
17. SCARPONI Michele LAM 01'28" 0
46. RUJANO GUILLEN Jose Humberto AND 02'25" 0

2012 total TTing is 40km. And Basso has hardly set the world alight in TTs since 2006. Rujano is no Purito; ruling him out from a podium finish based on ITTs is foolhardy.

Was going to post it.

Thats less than Rujano made on Scarponi on Etna.

also if we were to assume both Rujano and Scarponi will perform exactly the same in the 40k tt next year (so Scarponi finishes about 1.30 - 1.40 ahead) thats still less than Rujano made on Scarponi on Grossglockner.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-14-12, 14:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
worse than 2004?no
i'd say at 2010 level
no, I meant worse than next year.
Old 01-14-12, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaaaaaaarten View Post
Slagter, Majka, Kessiakoff, Henao are going to score me lots of poins at the CQ game
Irony, I presume? Well, Henao could do well... and Kessiakoff if he keeps it together.
Old 01-14-12, 14:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam_Olyas View Post
Are you questioning his manhood
No. I appreciate his courage to fight against the Evil head to head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar
Di Luca compensated it by the riding for a few guys. Can anyone do it again?

Last edited by airstream; 01-14-12 at 14:43.
Old 01-14-12, 14:31

still can't believe aqu & sapone won't be there. come on garzelli won the kom last year and betancur was my dark horse for the gc this year. and then colnago in with pozzovivo who has shown nothing except of his cera perfomance in 2008 in the gc at the giro?

at least i don't think that basso is a good enough tt anymore to put on minutes on rujano. i bet if rujano is on a good day the would time trail on a simillar level. scarponi maybe is a little bit better, but i would sware that he is going to lose minutes again in the mountains because of crazy actions like in last years vuelta.

nibali is the best tt guy of the gc competitors and the route isn't that mountainous this year, so that might be a really good chance for him to wuin il giro. but i see him more being focused on the tour and let basso be the boss at the giro to do the hattrick.

what i'm really thinking about is, that this giro in my opinion really could become the great comeback of damiano cunego as a grand tour rider. the route of this years giro should normally suit his style of climbing abillieties. except of nibali none of the other competitors would be able to take minutes on cunego in a tt anymore. and damiano has this explosive attack to distance other riders. basso, nibali, scarponi, gadret e.t.c don't have that punch. so i'm really looking forward to see in which form cunego will appear in italy and if he will be in state to focus the podium.

rujano yeah i don't think that he will find enough mountains to gain time on the other guys. i hope so, but i don't believe he can win. even if he won't lose that much time in tt.

fuglsang have to show facts this year. but with bruyneel being his boss this year i think everythings possible. maybe he will podium, maybe he will even be able to win, maybe he is going to struggle all the way. the giro is starting in his home country and he don't have to safe power for the tour so he will be high motivated. let's see what perfomance he is able to do.

i really wonder if rabo won't send at least one of the 3 gc guys to italy. when kruisjwijk announced not to appear at the giro in december, there still was the plan to let rob do his first tour of italy. i think now either kruisjwijk or mollema will do the giro for gc. maybe kruijswijk is more focussing in winning suisse this year and then going to the tour as a domestique for gesink.
Old 01-14-12, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
worse than 2004?no
i'd say at 2010 level
2010 Giro had Basso, Evans, Vino, Nibali, Wiggins, Sastre, Scarponi, Garzelli, TGBM...
A pretty solid startlist, I'd venture. I'll take Evans and Vino over pretty much anyone bar AC.
Old 01-14-12, 14:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoncolan View Post
2010 Giro had Basso, Evans, Vino, Nibali, Wiggins, Sastre, Scarponi, Garzelli, TGBM...
A pretty solid startlist, I'd venture. I'll take Evans and Vino over pretty much anyone bar AC.
Of those, only the first 4 + Scarponi were serious contenders.