Best Road Water Bottle Cage - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 01-17-12, 05:57

Default Best Road Water Bottle Cage

So lets hear it what's your best water bottle cage?

In other words a cage that does not dump your water bottle cage out regardless of ride conditions.

If you ever started a ride/race with 2 or 1 bottle and ended up with 1 or 0 bottles (assuming you didn't chuck it on purpose), they do not meet the standard for best water bottle cage and do not belong in this thread..

PS: This is based mainly on recent or actually all the time seeing people's water bottles flying across the road the moment any minor bump occurs, which is one of my pet peeves on rides with many people, who ever leaves their home and not make sure the bottles are snugly secure on the bike?

Last edited by ElChingon; 01-17-12 at 06:13. Reason: PS:
Old 01-17-12, 06:11

I originally bought these based on looks but man they've never dumped a bottle even under rough roads to almost classify as Roubaix like.

Elite Moro d'Elite:

These are also good and on the backup bike, no dropped bottles on either! I do tighten these down though from time to time to make sure they don't pop out.

Elite Ciussi Inox

PS: I'm not brand loyal just use what works and these don't drop bottles.
Old 01-17-12, 06:16

Almost forgot. Mainly tried the Moro d'Elite because I broke too many of the Ciussi Inox and didn't want to keep that up. Just bought another set of water bottle cages and wonder if anyone will list them as their best cages?
Old 01-17-12, 07:09
Banned

King Ti

Old 01-17-12, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
King Ti

King Stainless work well too.
Bat Cage for purely function without looks. Never lost a bottle on or off road.
Have a pair of Giant carbon cages from a few years ago that hold bottles with a death grip but can be a real pain in the posterior to fit them back in. Great for racing. If I can't get the bottle back in I simply hand it to the guy next to me, who more often than not takes it with a smile. Cheeky me.
Old 01-17-12, 11:05

Elite custom with union jack on the side.Lovely
Old 01-17-12, 12:33

I got fed up of cages that either didn't grip well enough, or were too tight. I did some research and found some good reviews for Arundel cages. I got a couple of their stainless steel mandible cages for about 11 each and have been very happy. If you wanted a lighter option you could try their carbon ones.
Old 01-17-12, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
So lets hear it what's your best water bottle cage?

In other words a cage that does not dump your water bottle cage out regardless of ride conditions.

If you ever started a ride/race with 2 or 1 bottle and ended up with 1 or 0 bottles (assuming you didn't chuck it on purpose), they do not meet the standard for best water bottle cage and do not belong in this thread..

PS: This is based mainly on recent or actually all the time seeing people's water bottles flying across the road the moment any minor bump occurs, which is one of my pet peeves on rides with many people, who ever leaves their home and not make sure the bottles are snugly secure on the bike?
King cage....best there is

http://www.kingcage.com/
Old 01-17-12, 14:44

Cateye BC100 - http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/BC-100/

Definitely don't meet any styling requirements - but cheap, and absolutely indestructable. And because they're moulded plastic, they consistently grip a bidon tighter than a schoolboy gripping ... (I'll save the mods the effort of censoring the rest of that ...)

Based on El Chignon's criteria, these are the best cages by far - so much so that I have also used them on MTBs and the cross bike (when I do 3 hour off road training rides) and they've stood up to everything that you can throw at them. One of the BC100 cages I currently use is about 10 years old ...

A stylier alternative - provided you use Tacx bottles (or those of a similar dimension) - is the old trusty Tao: http://tacx2009.ilink2.nl/producten/...Tao_carbon.dot
Old 01-17-12, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirider View Post
Cateye BC100 - http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/BC-100/

Definitely don't meet any styling requirements - but cheap, and absolutely indestructable. And because they're moulded plastic, they consistently grip a bidon tighter than a schoolboy gripping ... (I'll save the mods the effort of censoring the rest of that ...)

Based on El Chignon's criteria, these are the best cages by far - so much so that I have also used them on MTBs and the cross bike (when I do 3 hour off road training rides) and they've stood up to everything that you can throw at them. One of the BC100 cages I currently use is about 10 years old ...

A stylier alternative - provided you use Tacx bottles (or those of a similar dimension) - is the old trusty Tao: http://tacx2009.ilink2.nl/producten/...Tao_carbon.dot
Yes they are ugly and cheap but they are very good. Good and pretty too? Arundle. Use them with 20ml bottles on the MTB too Solid hold even on rough trails. Great on the road bike too.