Manditory standown - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-14, 23:15
ralphbert ralphbert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 194
Default Manditory standown

Looking for opinions and discussion:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:
5 Days of Prednisone 20mg
30 Days of Loratadine 10mg
30 Days of Univent Aqueous Nasal spray 0.03%

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ralphbert; 01-29-14 at 23:16. Reason: Brain malfunction
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-14, 23:41
Dear Wiggo's Avatar
Dear Wiggo Dear Wiggo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunny Australia
Posts: 5,436
Default

Talk to the doctor next time, and ask for wada guideline advice from someone who knows or can work it out, not an online forum.
__________________
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-14, 23:53
ralphbert ralphbert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Talk to the doctor next time, and ask for wada guideline advice from someone who knows or can work it out, not an online forum.
Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-14, 23:55
Dear Wiggo's Avatar
Dear Wiggo Dear Wiggo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunny Australia
Posts: 5,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbert View Post
Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.
The doctor you saw for the medicine should be able to tell you. It's not something special you have to do or someone special you have to see.
__________________
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-14, 04:10
Race Radio's Avatar
Race Radio Race Radio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbert View Post
Looking for opinions and discussion:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:
5 Days of Prednisone 20mg
30 Days of Loratadine 10mg
30 Days of Univent Aqueous Nasal spray 0.03%

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?
Prednisone and Loratadine are on the banned list. I don't know what the Univent is. The ephedrine in the Loradine should clear quick, give it 3 days to be safe. The Prednisone is longer, 9 days is normal. You do not need a TUE for cortisone as long as you do not inject it, it is used OOC, and it has cleared your system by the time you race.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-14, 12:07
Fortyninefourteen's Avatar
Fortyninefourteen Fortyninefourteen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbert View Post
Looking for opinions and discussion:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:
5 Days of Prednisone 20mg
30 Days of Loratadine 10mg
30 Days of Univent Aqueous Nasal spray 0.03%

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?
What race are you targeting?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-14, 14:06
King Boonen's Avatar
King Boonen King Boonen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,068
Default

Univent contains Ipratropium which is not on the banned list.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-14, 18:47
ralphbert ralphbert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
What race are you targeting?
Targets for the season were in spring, they are done and dusted now. Got life and work commitments for events coming up over next two months and will hit some of the late season sportif and club races after that.

On the plus side we have decided to do a half ironman as a family team, son is swimming, I am riding and wife is running. Sooooo new TT bike for me (wife gets new shoes)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-14, 19:32
FitSsikS's Avatar
FitSsikS FitSsikS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 'Taranna', The Great White North
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbert View Post
(wife gets new shoes)
....she'll want a matching hand bag.
__________________
"It's the biggest setback I've ever had in my cycling career*, so it's a new experience for me."
~ Lance Armstrong 2009 ~
*collar bone fracture
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-14, 21:16
ralphbert ralphbert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 194
Default

Steroid cycle finished. Not sure if I am just getting better or they gave a boost but I felt like a beast at the end of our 175k, 3300mtr ride on Sunday. Like a better me, a healthier me.....

Thanks for the comments. Bring on the Spring classics.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.