Manditory standown - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-29-14, 23:15

Default Manditory standown

Looking for opinions and discussion:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:
5 Days of Prednisone 20mg
30 Days of Loratadine 10mg
30 Days of Univent Aqueous Nasal spray 0.03%

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ralphbert; 01-29-14 at 23:16. Reason: Brain malfunction
Old 01-29-14, 23:41

Talk to the doctor next time, and ask for wada guideline advice from someone who knows or can work it out, not an online forum.
Old 01-29-14, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Talk to the doctor next time, and ask for wada guideline advice from someone who knows or can work it out, not an online forum.
Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.
Old 01-29-14, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphbert View Post
Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.
The doctor you saw for the medicine should be able to tell you. It's not something special you have to do or someone special you have to see.
Old 01-30-14, 04:10

Quote:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?
Prednisone and Loratadine are on the banned list. I don't know what the Univent is. The ephedrine in the Loradine should clear quick, give it 3 days to be safe. The Prednisone is longer, 9 days is normal. You do not need a TUE for cortisone as long as you do not inject it, it is used OOC, and it has cleared your system by the time you race.
Old 01-30-14, 12:07

Quote:

Thoughts?
What race are you targeting?
Old 01-30-14, 14:06

Univent contains Ipratropium which is not on the banned list.
Old 01-30-14, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
What race are you targeting?
Targets for the season were in spring, they are done and dusted now. Got life and work commitments for events coming up over next two months and will hit some of the late season sportif and club races after that.

On the plus side we have decided to do a half ironman as a family team, son is swimming, I am riding and wife is running. Sooooo new TT bike for me (wife gets new shoes)
Old 01-30-14, 19:32

Quote:
(wife gets new shoes)
....she'll want a matching hand bag.
Old 02-02-14, 21:16

Steroid cycle finished. Not sure if I am just getting better or they gave a boost but I felt like a beast at the end of our 175k, 3300mtr ride on Sunday. Like a better me, a healthier me.....

Thanks for the comments. Bring on the Spring classics.