Numb hands on road bike - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 01-27-12, 22:28

Default Numb hands on road bike

Every time I go for a ride after 10 - 20mins my hands start to go numb. Sometimes it can be one hand sometimes it can be both and they can alternate.

I do currently where gloves when I ride.

Most of my riding is sitting on the hoods.

I just wanted to find out what should I be looking at bike setup wise that could be a contributor to these issues?

Thanks for any advise

Matt
Old 01-28-12, 00:15

it may not be starting in your hands. your shoulders or head position contribute.
check your entire position on the bike. good luck.
Old 01-28-12, 02:12

concur with UTBF

shoulders and neck position contribute to numbness
Old 01-28-12, 08:49

Yep, sounds like it's your bike fit. You are most likely leaning too heavily onto the bars. Best solution is to ask around a few bunches and find a fitter with a good reputation.

Chances are you have your seat too far forward and your bars too far away. Look at your saddle setback, you may have to increase it so that you are encouraged to put more of your bodyweight back onto the seat. This can benefit your riding anyway by encouraging you to use your glutes more.

Your stem may also be too long, forcing your bars away from you and encouraging you to put more weight onto your arms. You may have to consider shortening your stem and possibly also lowering your bars in order to relax your arm/shoulder angle without changing your back angle.

Sorry if any of this sound counter-intuitive, but these are mistakes that many people make when they are new (and not so new too) to the sport and have never had their bike fitted to them.

Last edited by 42x16ss; 01-28-12 at 08:53.
Old 01-28-12, 15:56

Also check the fit of your gloves.
They should pad your hands, but not bind or constrict nerves or blood flow, especially around the wrist area.

The angle of your wrists on the hoods can also make a big difference.
My experience is that adjusting the hoods so the wrist is in a 'neutral position' is most comfortable.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Old 01-29-12, 00:57

This issue is caused mainly by seat height-in your case-you need to lower it a bit-then check the saddle setback & the handlebar to saddle nose distance to find the proper position where your hands aren't bearing all the load from your upper body. As some folks here already mentioned-check how your hands & wrists are resting on the hoods-specially the angle. that's important when you're using that position the most while riding.
cheers.

Last edited by hfer07; 01-29-12 at 01:03.
Old 01-29-12, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post

Chances are you have your seat too far forward and your bars too far away. Look at your saddle setback, you may have to increase it so that you are encouraged to put more of your bodyweight back onto the seat. This can benefit your riding anyway by encouraging you to use your glutes more.
That's the first thing I'd check too.
Old 01-30-12, 14:40

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Go see Steve Hogg.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 01-30-12, 21:21

When riding a bike, one should be able to rest their hands very lightly on the bars and flap their elbows all the way up into your shoulder 90+% of the time.

#1 check that the nose of the saddle is not pointing down. I see this one quite a bit.

#2 It's possible that the stem is too long. Once you know you are sitting in the saddle with lots of stability and it doesn't improve your comfort, then try a shorter stem. A higher stem might help depending on the frameset. But, try shorter first.

#3 It's possible the seat is too high. But sort out the nose/rear position first. You should sit easily in the saddle first.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 01-30-12, 22:06

Agree with most statements here. I had the same problem but after longer distances. After a professional fitting, it was determined the distance between the saddle and bars was too long. My saddle was horizontal and pushed as far forward as possible and I had the shortest stem I could get. I ended up buying a new bike based on my professional fitting and have not had a problem with numbness since.