Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 06-29-09, 23:08

Default The Logisitics of Doping

Damn, now I'm even posting doping threads....

Anyway, my question for those of you "in the know" how do so many cyclists dope and not get caught with bags of blood, syringes etc., It seems to me that not all cyclists are smart and some at least would get popped, or rather would get popped more often by getting caught with "stuff" than by failing a test.

I know there are examples of both, Kayle L, Puerto etc., I am not asking for a rehash of what has happened but maybe some idea of how a guy like LA who is so high profile could get away with dragging around bags of blood, syringes etc. Wouldn't transport of these items be illegal?
Old 06-29-09, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake8 View Post
Damn, now I'm even posting doping threads....

Anyway, my question for those of you "in the know" how do so many cyclists dope and not get caught with bags of blood, syringes etc., It seems to me that not all cyclists are smart and some at least would get popped, or rather would get popped more often by getting caught with "stuff" than by failing a test.

I know there are examples of both, Kayle L, Puerto etc., I am not asking for a rehash of what has happened but maybe some idea of how a guy like LA who is so high profile could get away with dragging around bags of blood, syringes etc. Wouldn't transport of these items be illegal?
Good question. Not that I'm in the know, but simple reasoning indicates that the short answer must be that techniques for managing contraband in general are widespread and creative.

Cyclists have additional hurdles because of the extra scrutiny, but necessity is the mother of invention. We get some hints when some of them are busted, and it seems like friends, associates, spouses and family are often involved. Apparently cyclists often do have free and private time. I suspect part of it is getting it down to a science - so that not much time is involved in partaking.

Everybody has to go to the restroom once in a while, and generally without suspicion if they are gone for 5, 10 or 15 minutes... I think it was Kohl who wrote that he would get a text message indicating that the stuff was ready in some pre-planned room. He would excuse himself from whatever was happening, dash to that room, do his thing, and be back before anyone noticed. It's certainly a pain and hassle, but these are people who live their lives probably much more precisely than most of us do. This probably becomes just another part of their daily regime.

No specifics, because I'm sure the specifics vary from one rider to the next, but that should give you a general idea.

As perhaps an inappropriate aside, I was always a bit suspicious about the circumstances leading to the tragic suicide of Floyd Landis' friend, confidante and father-in-law, just days (maybe a couple of weeks) after Landis' doping violation was announced. I always wondered how much he might have had to do with it, and perhaps felt guilty. Maybe he was the one who accidentally put too many Testosterone patches on Floyd's body, or something like that?
Old 06-30-09, 00:55

Well i can figure that they must be creative, but traveling and keeping blood cool requires a fair amount of planning and execution right? Cant they also just look for needle marks? (Or i suppose these guys aree tested so much they have a lot anyway?)
Old 06-30-09, 01:37

Quote:
how do so many cyclists dope and not get caught with bags of blood, syringes etc., It seems to me that not all cyclists are smart and some at least would get popped, or rather would get popped more often by getting caught with "stuff" than by failing a test.
They do get popped. With depressing regularity. And they're talking.

They have third parties (team staff, etc.) keep the junk for them. When it's time to dope, they make a call or a text*, and the stuff shows up. They do the deed, then all the paraphernalia disappears.

* - any day now one will screw up and tweet instead of texting. "Hey S-----, time for my blood bag. And bring a pizza with you."
Old 06-30-09, 01:43

Quote:
Well i can figure that they must be creative, but traveling and keeping blood cool requires a fair amount of planning and execution right? Cant they also just look for needle marks? (Or i suppose these guys aree tested so much they have a lot anyway?)
The only thing I know is the motorcycle stories from the US Postal times from the Jonathan Vaughters and Frankie Andreu conversation. They carry the "blood" in those things. But in that time they all came together I believe, so it is easier just to do it with other friends in the room. At least the ones involved. Well, I don't know anything else about the logistics of this type of operations.
Old 06-30-09, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailleur View Post
They do get popped. With depressing regularity. And they're talking.

They have third parties (team staff, etc.) keep the junk for them. When it's time to dope, they make a call or a text*, and the stuff shows up. They do the deed, then all the paraphernalia disappears.

* - any day now one will screw up and tweet instead of texting. "Hey S-----, time for my blood bag. And bring a pizza with you."
But they don't. Not if doping is going on w/ 90% of the peloton. I really find it hard to beleive that all the riders in the peloton are getting bags of refrigerated blood injected without someone calling BS on it. 180 riders with a couple bags of blood each? They search the buses from time to time, no blood.

Is it really at the level of someone sneaking a refrigerated pouch of blood into hotel rooms in some sort of hidden container?

Seriously, anyone who's been there or knows how this #h!t is done, I'd love to hear.
Old 06-30-09, 09:44

Most of the illicit preparation is done away from the races, either in the weeks / days beforehand (by the riders individually with their doctors / soigneurs).

If it needs to be done during the stage races it is usually done away from any unwanted attention. Often this means taking the riders away from where they are staying to another hotel or rented apartment somewhere anonymous. This is the safest option in case of a police raid.

It can also be done on the bus. They have tinted windows and security on the door for a reason, and most of them have fridges. Noone gets anywhere near the Astana bus.

Omerta rule #765: what happens on the bus stays on the bus.
Old 06-30-09, 11:21

I don't think anybody on here is "in the know"
Old 06-30-09, 11:51

Just have a read about what T-Mobile did with the Freiburg report. Over the border excursion, 750ml top up, and back to the tour. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-30-09, 11:58

Snake8, considering a career as a Pro cyclist perhaps?