BMC in disarray? - Page 51 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 03-19-12, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
Really, you're basing your hopes on Jelle Vanendert, a 27 year old guy who had one good spring in his live?

But to me at least it makes very little sense for him to sacrifice (a part of) his spring for the Tour. It's incredibly easy to combine a great shape in the spring with a great shape in the autumn, after all, Gilbert did it in 2009 and 2010. Combining the Tour with the World Championship and Lombardia is a lot trickier, especially because the Vuelta is extremely important to be great in those races, with a good spring campaign it becomes even harder. The spring and the autumn are by far the most potentially profitable seasons for Gilbert, in the Tour he could possibly win a stage or 2, not something that would seriously alter his palmares, and in the Olympics he won't be much more than one of the favorites on this parcours. Even a Gilbert at 90% would have had a great chance of winning Sanremo a couple of days ago.

El Pistoletje laughed at Valverde a couple of days ago because he (exaggeratedly) preferred winning Murcia to Sanremo. If Gilbert deliberately sacrificed his chances in Sanremo and Vlaanderen to be good at the Tour, that would be equally stupid.

There's still plenty of time for BMC to make up for their joke of a season start, but I highly doubt any of this was planned, especially in the case of Evans, who had by far the best season of his carreer last year, and had absolutly no reason to change his preperation this year.
A) Rewatch the Ardennes last year, it is clear that Vanendert would have podiumed probably both AMG and FW if not for him working for Gilbert
B) Gilbert is not sacrificing his spring he may have been up there in MSR, we dont know? and anyway the chances are he wouldnt have won anyway and that is one race.
He will definitely be on at least 90% + for Flanders.
C) Considering what Evans showed on stage 4 he would have still come top 5 in TA if not for crash, him saying he is not very good is only compared to previous seasons, he is a bit behind but not drastically.
Old 03-19-12, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
A) Rewatch the Ardennes last year, it is clear that Vanendert would have podiumed probably both AMG and FW if not for him working for Gilbert
How is that related to the discussion?
Quote:
B) Gilbert is not sacrificing his spring he may have been up there in MSR, we dont know? and anyway the chances are he wouldnt have won anyway and that is one race.
He will definitely be on at least 90% + for Flanders.
A Gilbert in good form would have had quite a good chance to win last saturday actually. Sure, we don't know that he wasn't good, but considering his lackluster results so far, it would require quite an unlikely turnaround to be great in Sanremo. I don't know where you base your Vlaanderen prediction on.
Quote:
C) Considering what Evans showed on stage 4 he would have still come top 5 in TA if not for crash, him saying he is not very good is only compared to previous seasons, he is a bit behind but not drastically.
Maybe he could top-5, besides the point though, his poorer shape is not planned.
Old 03-19-12, 21:20

Quote:
How is that related to the discussion?A Gilbert in good form would have had quite a good chance to win last saturday actually. Sure, we don't know that he wasn't good, but considering his lackluster results so far, it would require quite an unlikely turnaround to be great in Sanremo. I don't know where you base your Vlaanderen prediction on.
Maybe he could top-5, besides the point though, his poorer shape is not planned.
If a Pozzato that didn't show anything either could finish 6th there then it is not unreasonable that Gilbert could have top 10'ed as well. If we keep following your 'considering the previous results' logic.
Old 03-19-12, 21:30

Quote:
How is that related to the discussion?.
Quote:
Really, you're basing your hopes on Jelle Vanendert, a 27 year old guy who had one good spring in his live?
Wow you have a short memory
Quote:
A Gilbert in good form would have had quite a good chance to win last saturday actually. Sure, we don't know that he wasn't good, but considering his lackluster results so far, it would require quite an unlikely turnaround to be great in Sanremo. I don't know where you base your Vlaanderen prediction on.
You cant just make suppositons about Gilbert's form in MSR it may have been good or not we'll never know. If you consider how he was looking in MSR itself and that he said he is good (even if you dont trust him it doesnt matter) and that i dont know what turnaround you are referring to as in TA he was ill, so he could have been much closer to his peak than you think.
Anyway it is all useless speculation.
Also Cadel's current form is not a bad thing and is not something that BMC will be worried about/ disappointed about.
Old 03-19-12, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
If a Pozzato that didn't show anything either could finish 6th there then it is not unreasonable that Gilbert could have top 10'ed as well. If we keep following your 'considering the previous results' logic.
Admittedly Pozzato is different as he had been injured so we never knew how close to his peak he was.
Though tbh Gilbert was also hampered by his tooth in TA but I dont think Lanark would admit that
Old 03-19-12, 21:36

Random comment; if professional cyclists are drinking energy drinks and eating energy gels all day they must have horrible teeth!!
Old 03-19-12, 21:37

Quote:
Also Cadel's current form is not a bad thing and is not something that BMC will be worried about/ disappointed about.
Evans usually has a high base level. This was the worst I've seen him in the early season. I don't know how that's not a bad thing.
Old 03-19-12, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Evans usually has a high base level. This was the worst I've seen him in the early season. I don't know how that's not a bad thing.
How much did we you actually see of him?
Old 03-19-12, 22:09

Quote:
How much did we you actually see of him?
Not much. Which is pretty unusual for Cadel. Even the TT was rather poor.
Old 03-19-12, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Not much. Which is pretty unusual for Cadel. Even the TT was rather poor.
Yes but he had only 3 stages; stage 4 he came top 10 (around 7th) stage 5 he crashed and TT was poor for him but he was out of contention and possibly wasnt great due to illness/crash. So I think if he hadnt crashed on stage 5 he could have come top5 even and we wouldnt be saying this.
(think about it would have been worse than Hoogerland?)