Which one is the best race: Tirreno-Adriatico or Paris Nice? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Which one is the best race?
Tirreno-Adriatico 107 56.91%
Paris-Nice 81 43.09%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-12, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
After stage 2 of P-N, I think the Frogs will hold the upper hand this year.
That's the one reason I haven't voted in the poll yet. I mean last year T-A was obviously a better race, this year's parcours looks great, especially stage 4, however after today's P-N stage, I might have even voted for it. So I will wait to vote instead.
Old 03-05-12, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Honestly i don't like both, that's why i would prefer the race with harder climbs. A couple of years ago PN included stump of Mont Ventoux. As I see, Tirreno has only Monte Lupone, right?
Is there any one-week race you like then?
Old 03-05-12, 19:58

Quote:
Honestly i don't like both, that's why i would prefer the race with harder climbs. A couple of years ago PN included stump of Mont Ventoux. As I see, Tirreno has only Monte Lupone, right?
For some reason, I think you also like LBL
Old 03-05-12, 20:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetisoff View Post
Is there any one-week race you like then?
no, but i have a slight indulgence to dauphine. or rather, i dont like them very much.
Old 03-05-12, 20:12

Depends on the course.

Not going to vote on this one. Both are good races and it looks like T-A will be better this year again, but next year P-N might be better again.
Old 03-05-12, 20:31

This year, on paper (read, the route) Tirreno is the better race, imo. But P-N just started and the stage which was bound to be the dullest turned out to be pretty cool, so hard to know. And participation wise there's not much difference, so I won't vote just yet.

If we're talking about prestige, P-N > T-A, in my opinion.
Old 03-05-12, 20:38
Administrator

Quote:
Passo Lanciano is no joke actually. Saying that TA has only Montelupone is a bit of disrespect. The focus on short and steep climb of TA is a recent thing anyway, and it's not by any means a rule; for istance it included Monte Bondone once (many years ago)
Old 03-05-12, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havetts View Post
With poop parcourses like this and last year's P-N, Tirreno by far.
This. Paris-Nice had been in a run of great races, then 2011 killed all the momentum it had with a godawful parcours.
Quote:
No Montelupone this year. But there are some really nasty rises into Chieti, Macerata etc. that they can - and do - include, not just Montelupone (though I admit that is the greatest of them). Lots of short, steep ramps in Tirreno. Lots of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
After stage 2 of P-N, I think the Frogs will hold the upper hand this year.
Not so fast though; last year, the early stages of Paris-Nice were good too, with Voeckler and de Gendt going haywire. Then the "hilly" stages disappointed and the TT settled everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogombre View Post
This year, on paper (read, the route) Tirreno is the better race, imo. But P-N just started and the stage which was bound to be the dullest turned out to be pretty cool, so hard to know. And participation wise there's not much difference, so I won't vote just yet.

If we're talking about prestige, P-N > T-A, in my opinion.
Prestige-wise, I'd agree. But at the moment, Paris-Nice has lost its momentum for putting on good races after last year's snoozer, while Tirreno-Adriatico is in a strong run; the days of Cancellara and Freire's GC wins are forgotten, and the last 3 editions have been mighty entertaining.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 03-05-12, 20:50

Not so fast though; last year, the early stages of Paris-Nice were good too, with Voeckler and de Gendt going haywire. Then the "hilly" stages disappointed and the TT settled everything.

right, but the race today completely open up business. Very different from last year. Of course things could turn out to be a controlled event from now on. Hoping Valverde/Movistar will keep the pressure on and that other "losers" will do something in the next few stages.
Old 03-05-12, 20:52

P-N from an armchair viewers perspective purely because of the quality of TV coverage.

Italian stuff is always shaky and grainy and never in HD.