Which one is the best race: Tirreno-Adriatico or Paris Nice? - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Which one is the best race?
Tirreno-Adriatico 107 56.91%
Paris-Nice 81 43.09%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-12, 13:21
Administrator

voted TA when the poll was created and still maintain my opinion
Old 03-15-12, 10:12

For some reason i did not like T-A as much this year, though i did not follow it as much.

It was better last year but i liked P-N because of Vac and the fact the GC battle was close and representative of the TDF route.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 03-15-12, 10:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
For some reason i did not like T-A as much this year, though i did not follow it as much.

It was better last year but i liked P-N because of Vac and the fact the GC battle was close and representative of the TDF route.
i know it's down to a personal opinion, but i would say that the GC battle in TA was much better then in PN where you pretty much knew who was going to win after stage 1 and only had 1 meaningful stage GC wise after that.

in TA we had the strongest rider fighting back all the way down to te last stage
Old 03-15-12, 20:36

I liked em both this year. Tirreno is usually exciting because of all of the short steep finishes.
Old 03-15-12, 20:42

Usually Tirreno, but they were both a bit crap this year, though they had worthy winners. Steephill finishes >> MTFs for one week races.
Old 03-15-12, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
i know it's down to a personal opinion, but i would say that the GC battle in TA was much better then in PN where you pretty much knew who was going to win after stage 1 and only had 1 meaningful stage GC wise after that.

in TA we had the strongest rider fighting back all the way down to te last stage

Err

Quote:
the win in mende is very likely as it is like for wiggins to lose a few seconds there because it's a very explosive climb, PN is far from over and wiggins is far from having it in the bad like some were already saying yesterday
Quote:
no way in hell will movistar allow a break to stay clear with bonus secs on the line. The question imo isn't who is going to win, that's clearly piti, the question is how well will wiggins manage his losses? he can win PN before we even get to the itt with a good performance here but since he is a diesel for the longer climbs i will say he will lose about 30 secs+ bonus to valverde which should make the final itt super interesting.
And of course after Mende Wiggins still had competition
Old 03-16-12, 09:05

Quote:

True but as i said i did not watch many of the stages ( except for Sagans' ) and both were close. Maybe i was disappointed that Kreuziger did not win.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 03-16-12, 11:26

Well I have to say Tirreno because Wiggins won Paris Nice and I don't like him very much

Still it's impossible not to recognize that Sky is the most well rounded team for stage races. They are really riding at a great level. If they had another leader I would be cheering for them

About Tirreno, I think it's Nibali's biggest win. Yeah he won the Vuelta but I really enjoyed the way he rode here. Kreuziguer disappointed me a bit by not trying anything on Prato di Tivo and even helping Horner keeping Nibali close.

Paris Nice was really a Vacansoleil-Sky show. Westra was a big surprise and it'll be interesting to see if he can become a one-week rider and one to go on breaks on GT mountain stages. It seems that De Ghendt is riding the Giro. I have high hopes for him on GT's based on Alpe d'Huez and Grenoble in last years TdF.
Old 01-06-13, 19:25

Looks like Contador and Wiggins will both be racing Tirreno this year.

The walls in Tirreno are probably too short for Bertie and too steep for Wiggo. May be too early in the year for Bertie, but he'll have a lot to prove vs. Wiggo, who should be at his 95% (if like last year).

Bring it on. Three months to go.
Old 01-06-13, 20:40

I hope RCS comes up with a big mountain or two. I hope it's more than walls and tt. Last years route was great. Maybe they'll include Lanciano again hoping it will make the actual race