Disc Brakes on a C59 - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 03-09-12, 09:09

No, because you have a higher apex speed as well, so your entry can be later AND you exit higher

Good descenders brake later and harder, we spend less time on the brakes which gives them more time to cool

Quote:
I think most of the credit goes to the USAC for putting gear limits on Jr. racing when their counterparts in the rest of the world are allowed to race normal gears. Why do you think every time a U.S. kid goes to race Kermesses in Belgium to cut their teeth they get shelled all the time? Everybody else is pushing bigger gears, much earlier than us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
... and jet lag.
Both the UK and Australia still rigorously enforce gear restrictions, with a combined total population of about 25% of the US, and AU has a REAL tyranny of distance so I wouldn't be grasping at those straws

I agree that Disks are coming, they may not be needed , but they will come and they will be common
We as consumers dont really have a choice, but most of us dont even know it (not counting people here, of course)
Old 03-09-12, 13:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Both the UK and Australia still rigorously enforce gear restrictions, with a combined total population of about 25% of the US, and AU has a REAL tyranny of distance so I wouldn't be grasping at those straws
Yeah, the recent news of the USAC installing the gear restrictions again wasn't the best example. Didn't realize it was also the case elsewhere, foot in mouth with that one.

Quote:
I agree that Disks are coming, they may not be needed , but they will come and they will be common
We as consumers dont really have a choice, but most of us dont even know it (not counting people here, of course)
I said the same thing while mountain biking with V-brakes in the early 90's. In the late 90's when I started racing carbon wheels on the road I thought D-brakes would be the savior of their braking and wear shortcomings. It's not a gimmick or marketing scheme as others would have you believe here, there are real quantifiable advantages to them.
Old 03-09-12, 17:17

Why the need for hydraulics instead of cables for disc brakes? Cables work fine for all other braking systems. What am I missing?
Old 03-09-12, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
Why the need for hydraulics instead of cables for disc brakes? Cables work fine for all other braking systems. What am I missing?
Because of the smaller diameter of a disc vs. rim, you need about 5x the force at the brake pad.
Old 03-09-12, 21:40

I don't think disk breaks are for me... More weight + less aerodynamic are not very appealing to me. I do wonder if rims may get lighter with no need for a breaking surface??? If that is the case it may help to balance some aspects of performance.
Old 03-09-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_gibbo View Post
I don't think disk breaks are for me... More weight + less aerodynamic are not very appealing to me. I do wonder if rims may get lighter with no need for a breaking surface??? If that is the case it may help to balance some aspects of performance.
Except you need to add more spokes to deal with the increased brake force. And a beefier fork.

Disc brakes, should they ever happen, would eliminate radial lacing.
Old 03-09-12, 23:37

Quote:
Rims are significantly lighter, look at MTB rims. Still clinchers and the same weight as road rims, despite being wider and heavier duty

For Pro's the bike needs to meat the UCI minimum, which is easy done regardless. Climbers especially may not accept a 400 gram penalty normally, but since most of them have a 500g weight stuck down the seat post at the BB it is less of an issue!
Old 03-09-12, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Are you sure about that? The more aggressive you are on a technical descent the harder and more often you will need to brake. Think about it.

The pro's will probably be very keen to try D-brakes out, just wait and see.
I was actually trying to be facetious. Can get lost in translation in written form
Old 03-10-12, 02:33
Super Moderator

Quote:
The weight difference between a rim brake set up and a disk set up is roughly 120g. This includes the caliper, rotor, post mounts, and extra material on the stays and fork. That's nothing!!! It's half of what a Power Tap system adds to the weight of a bike. It's pretty much a wash anyway if you think about it, that 120g you gain in the static weight of parts is deleted by lighter rims, dynamic weight were it really matters. Less aero, how? I'm actually willing to bet that a d-brake set up is actually slightly more aero than a rim brake, but I'm sure the difference is almost not even worth mentioning, like the aero difference from one 58mm deep wheel to the next.
Old 03-10-12, 03:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV4ROUBAIX View Post
The weight difference between a rim brake set up and a disk set up is roughly 120g. This includes the caliper, rotor, post mounts, and extra material on the stays and fork. That's nothing!!! It's half of what a Power Tap system adds to the weight of a bike. It's pretty much a wash anyway if you think about it, that 120g you gain in the static weight of parts is deleted by lighter rims, dynamic weight were it really matters. Less aero, how? I'm actually willing to bet that a d-brake set up is actually slightly more aero than a rim brake, but I'm sure the difference is almost not even worth mentioning, like the aero difference from one 58mm deep wheel to the next.
I wouldn't be willing to bet anything on aero, aero is fickle, what seems aero may not be when you stick it in a wind tunnel. I could safely assume the differences are very small and with redesign would become nothing.