Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 03-17-12, 15:15

Nicholas Roche on twitter

Quote:
Helicopter caused that crash! Wast at the 250m barrier!! Very stupid to fly so low!!!! Feel very sory for those who hit the deck!

Massive tactical failure by Sky today. Also, where was Garmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Degenkolb 4th. Very good result for him.
5th 10char

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Sucking as hard as 3rd in Amstel Gold.
That was his only decent result in 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeypen View Post
So much hate for Pozzato last year for wheel sucking. Wonder if Gerrans will get the same sort of hate. That ending has really ****ed me off, new rider for my dislike list now.
I always thought Gerrans was ridiculously overrated, because he'd been smart and interesting back in '08-'09, but for the last couple of years seemed happy to come 7th in the uphill sprint.

I didn't like the way he rode into the finish, but this wasn't a Thor Hushovd at Paris-Roubaix shadow job. Gerrans took a turn (one, which is more than Nibali did). He followed the right move, and actually dared to do something interesting, which combined with his being a stronger rider than he was 4 years ago, gave him an unexpected chance at winning a Monument most unsuited to him.

Is it usually the most boring monument? Sure. Is it a bit lame to win by sucking wheels? Sure.

But Gerrans will say, so what? He's actually justified the hype for the first time in his career.

Forever tÍte de la course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
I'm truely disappointed with this winner but well he was the smartest so there's nothing to whine about....

I think Nibali was working for Sagan all the way because he didn't hold anything back for the sprint, he was hanging on for dear life. I think he attacked just to force others to chase and give Sagan a free ride.

Positive notes: Degenkolb is a true hard men for the classics. And there goes the myth that you can't win by attacking in the Poggio nowadays.

Sky was probably the biggest let down. They should have shifted to EBH as soon as Cav was 2min down.
Please can we not let this nonsense become a collective memory. How should they have shifted to EBH at that stage? Teleport the domestiques back to the peloton?
Old 03-17-12, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheep View Post
Nicholas Roche on twitter
That stupid ****** caused some serious crashes with boonen and GVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
I'm truely disappointed with this winner but well he was the smartest so there's nothing to whine about....

I think Nibali was working for Sagan all the way because he didn't hold anything back for the sprint, he was hanging on for dear life. I think he attacked just to force others to chase and give Sagan a free ride.

Positive notes: Degenkolb is a true hard men for the classics. And there goes the myth that you can't win by attacking in the Poggio nowadays.

Sky was probably the biggest let down. They should have shifted to EBH as soon as Cav was 2min down.
Wouldn't have mattered much, EBH proved again he isn't ready to battle with the big boys.

Not the most spectacular way to win, but you can't blame Gerrans. Cancellara was almost too strong for his own good today, well, I guess we have one favorite for the Ronde and Roubaix again this year.

oh yes oh yes!!!! big, HUGE win for Gerro and GREENEDGE, nice big smile for Nygaard!

pfiuh, i just feared Sagan could join them, luckily he did not make it

Not the most inspiring of wins, but fair play to Gerrans. Would have loved to see Cancellara still outsprint him (which he almost did).