What tactic does Cancellara use now? - Page 22 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 03-20-12, 10:34

In 2008 weren't Hushovd and Freire in the group? My take was that there was dickering about in the group b/c no one was towing them to the line.

edit: the video doesn't quite show what is going on when Canc is with Landaluze. Be that as it may he's done that already and at that time some prologues and PR (with the train track issue) under his belt, he was not yet "Spartacus."

Last edited by Nick C.; 03-20-12 at 10:40.
Old 03-20-12, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Everyone has woken up when he attacks. They will just sit & wait. He's become a one trick pony with no other options. He really needs to find another way to win that doesn't involve trying to ride off the front and soloing to a win.

He's beginning to look stupid.
You just wish you could ride like that. Flanders can suit him very well and the ITT win at TA plus the solo win at Strande Bianche have given him two wins on the season already. Second at Milan San Remo "stupid?"

Classic are not just given out.

Who elected you head of this outfit?

Sorry. Very grumpy today.
Old 03-20-12, 12:54

A warrior poet:

ďI would have preferred to crash elsewhere, but crashes happen. I expect crashes, I expect the bike to break, or not work correctly, or the mechanic may miss something and the handlebar comes loose. When it happens, I just deal with it and move on.Ē Horner.

You can also expect ingratitudes.
Old 03-20-12, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheKid View Post
You just wish you could ride like that. Flanders can suit him very well and the ITT win at TA plus the solo win at Strande Bianche have given him two wins on the season already. Second at Milan San Remo "stupid?"

Classic are not just given out.

Who elected you head of this outfit?

Sorry. Very grumpy today.
I think you miss my point of starting the thread. Fabs is by far the best one day rider in the peloton. Better than Gilbert, better than Boonen. Heís probably on talent alone the best there ever was. Thatís why itís so frustrating to see him lose the races in the way he does especially when heís on form. Getting beat by Gerrans itís a slap in the face. Gerrans is not a MSR winner Ė but latched on the back of Cancellara he had a chance.

Iíd love to see Fabian walk away and end his career with 4 Flanders titles and 3 PRís. Sadly Iím worried he wonít win another one again. Thatís unless he finds a little bit of nous to go with his talent.
Old 03-20-12, 15:12

Quote:
I think you miss my point of starting the thread. Fabs is by far the best one day rider in the peloton. Better than Gilbert, better than Boonen. Heís probably on talent alone the best there ever was. Thatís why itís so frustrating to see him lose the races in the way he does especially when heís on form. Getting beat by Gerrans itís a slap in the face. Gerrans is not a MSR winner Ė but latched on the back of Cancellara he had a chance.

Iíd love to see Fabian walk away and end his career with 4 Flanders titles and 3 PRís. Sadly Iím worried he wonít win another one again. Thatís unless he finds a little bit of nous to go with his talent.
He seems to lack imagination with regards to his attack in location and situations. He would benefit from a good classics DS in my opinion.
Old 03-20-12, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
He seems to lack imagination with regards to his attack in location and situations. He would benefit from a good classics DS in my opinion.
Come on, FC has attacked from literally every single scenario it's almost hard to tell; 50km flat, 10km uphill, 5km flat, 1km flat, really is it fair to say he has no imagination? It's also really difficult to slip off the front when absolutely everyone knows your attacks most likely will be the decisive split.
Old 03-20-12, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Agree with everything you state.

He misses Riis terribly. If he loses Flanders and Roubiax this year then mark my words he's going home to Saxo. You build teams guys like Fabian. You don't leave them on there own to fight it out. If he wins nothing and goes to the Tour having to tow th Shlecks around I'll scream.

In addition these days he’s not guaranteed his TT win either with Tony Martin the new kid on the block. His prospects are bleak.

He probably should have jump ship when he had the chance but h stuck with the Hog. Didn't Hog promise him Classics team?

Last edited by thehog; 03-20-12 at 16:31.
Old 03-20-12, 16:14

Quote:
In addition these days his not gurennteed his TT win either with Tony Martin the new kid on the block. His prospects are bleak.
The hog in fine form, unlike FC you certainly are peaking for the spring series!
Old 03-20-12, 16:49
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Agree with everything you state.

He misses Riis terribly. If he loses Flanders and Roubiax this year then mark my words he's going home to Saxo. You build teams guys like Fabian. You don't leave them on there own to fight it out. If he wins nothing and goes to the Tour having to tow th Shlecks around I'll scream.

In addition these days heís not guaranteed his TT win either with Tony Martin the new kid on the block. His prospects are bleak.

He probably should have jump ship when he had the chance but h stuck with the Hog. Didn't Hog promise him Classics team?
No he doesn't. Riis did not design a tactic that launched FC 50k from the line to win the 2010 PR by 3 minutes. No more than he designed the tactic to drop Boonen on the Muur at that year's RVV.

Riis did not design a tactic at the 2008 MSR either. FC look to see who was on his wheel... stupidly, no one was and he pounced. Riis didn't have anything to do with that decision.

Quote:
His prospects are bleak.
He's already had a successful season.

He's got a better team this year than last. Perhaps we ought to let the important races play out before making this declaration.
Old 03-20-12, 16:54
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by function View Post
The hog in fine form, unlike FC you certainly are peaking for the spring series!
Is something to behold, isn't it?