Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread - Page 55 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-01-12, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo95 View Post
Here's the problem.

I'm older and I think I'm more mature than you.
Fixed to show the real problem.
Old 04-01-12, 01:19

I had loads of respect for Cav in 2009 winning MSR. I don't care how much of a pure sprinter you are to ride 300km, make it over the Poggio and win, suggests there's a little more there. But that was 2009.
Old 04-01-12, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQmanager View Post
I dont want to be adding any wood to the fire but strictly from a CQ point of view ..

Cav 1469 points
Rojas 1304 points

So in 2011 Cavendish scored whopping 12% more points than Rojas having dedicated team and train where even those like Tony Martin were pulling and working hard to deliver this celebrity to the 200m line so he can unleash his famous double kick.

Just wondering how many points would Rojas scored with 100% of Movistar dedicated to his sprints ...

CQM
Interesting. But "points" aren't as sexy as wins in the end.
Old 04-01-12, 07:29

Well Rojas beat Andy in a mountain stage convincingly, so that makes him an allrounder
Old 04-01-12, 09:16

Quote:
Someone brought Rojas into the discussion a few pages back. And you can't bring Rojas into any real discussion. He's a decent journeyman pro. Like many before. He's an all rounder who is not good at anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Rojas only came into the discussion because Gent-Wevelgem was brought up. And there, Rojas was behind Cavendish at the start of the descent where the gap was made, and yet when the split happened, Rojas was in front of it and Cavendish was behind it.
Quote:
I don't really know where Rojas came from. There's no way he should be in a discussion with the greats.
While you may trump up your maturity against us young'uns, evidently your comprehension still needs a bit of work.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 04-01-12, 10:03
Administrator

Cool it, everyone. I don't have time to do much more than fuss right now, but behave yourselves or face the consequences.

You may consider this an official warning.

Susan
Old 04-01-12, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalco View Post
I honestly don't get why people here are still obsessing about the Haussler crash like that. **** happens in sprints. Sometimes blame can be assigned clearly, sometimes not.

Cavendish still has to take crap for something that happened two years ago and riders like Abdu and ****ing McEwen are being idolised? How many people did those make crash during their careers? And how many times did either of them apologise for hurting other riders?
Abdu takes crap to this day for his dangerous riding as does McEwen. Cav is obviously idolized by some based on the fervor at which he is being defended here by a several posters. There is virtually no difference in how they've been treated over the course of their careers. If there is a difference it is that Cav is the here and now, McEwen is past his prime with one leg out the door, and Abdu is a remnant of the cycling's past.
Old 04-01-12, 16:05

I always liked Robbie just because of his personality. And back then, sprints were still interesting and you could never say for sure who was going to win... Boonen, Petacchi, Mcewen, Cipollini, Tom Steels, etc

Ps: I'm aware that not all the sprinters named here competed at the same time.

Nowadays it's always Cavendish and thus sprinting has become really boring. Not a big fan of his personality either...
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 04-01-12, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsgenoa View Post
Hey guys sorry If I really upset anybody, as I say this black and white media is often too harsh and doesn't really allow you to inject some humour without someone getting the wrong end of the stick.

I have to admit to being mildy annoyed that a lot were blind to what I see when I look at that crash, I was thinking 'they haven't bothered to look properly again'.

As far as BroDeals comments go, I've tried to take them in good humour, after all you could easily take offence at some of them. I'm thinking 'hey get back in your pram!'

Mind you that one about '.....if you let him succeed' cracked me up!

As far as the 'odd' letters go I can't for the life of me see why they're odd?
I mean that one I wrote to the UCI, to my mind how can you fault the logic? When I saw what Haussler did I was determined that they shouldn't stick the whole thing on Cav (and I'm no fanboy if that had been Brice Feillu taking the barge from Haussler I'd have felt the smae and done the same).

To my mind the commissaires didn't look at it closely enough, and if you look at it real time its all a bit too quick to reveal what actually happened. At the end of the day the commissaires are paid to do a job and do it properly, that day they didn't.

Ciolek should have had some kind of caution for the massive switch - that was far worse than Cav gradually closing the door and who can blame Cav after being on the receiving end of that switch? That kind of sudden movement could really get someone hurt, people have ended up in wheelchairs after lesser flicks than that.

To me it is just common sense, gradual line changes are one thing (Cav's not quite as 'Abdu' there as some make out) sudden switches and barges are something else and they should have been punished.
Could you please delete 2 of the 3 posts that you have here that are repeated? Thanks!
Old 04-01-12, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQmanager View Post
Cav just tweeted:

"So @petatodd & I have decided to have a final 'date' before I'm a dad. Doing it oldskool. Pizza & cinema."

Sure I'm happy for him to have a baby but when I read it, I had to laugh because he definitely shouldnt be eating any Pizza especially after being dropped on every tiny Cat 5 hill over the last few weeks.

Perhaps I'm wrong and since he got the rainbow jersey and new lucrative multi year contract he can eat pizza left and right. Way to go Cav and perhaps one day we will be seeing you on TV doing the "Biggest Loser" show. You are definitely on your way

CQM
Cyclists are known to treat themselves with "normal" food on occasion between key points in their seasons.