Paris-Roubaix 2012 - The Queen of the Classics (257.5km) - Page 127 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-08-12, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncoutie View Post
Yeah big fella isn't he?
Yeah, here in Belgium he has been compared a lot to Boonen already. They look very similar on a bike.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 04-08-12, 23:38

is there any excuse for the team sky riders not taking turns at the front?

i was watching on french television; the motorbike journalist was asking himself the same question so he went to the sky car to ask the ds what bizarre tactics this was (obviously he didn't ask "what bizarre tactics is this?", he just asked "so what exactly is your tactic?"). the ds first started mumbling something understandable and then said he's too busy and it's too loud anyway. avoiding the question, i thought

i've just never seen a team chase like this, ever

(although, thinking about it, i have seen once or twice in the past a rider attack out of a peloton led by his own team and disorganise and destroy his team's effort this way, like Antonio Flecha did today. but this wasn't at the kind of level they show on television)
Old 04-08-12, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nm___ View Post
is there any excuse for the team sky riders not taking turns at the front?
They were not strong enough
Old 04-08-12, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic-is-your-friend View Post
Rereading this topic is rather hilarious in retrospect. Going from "lol Boonen 53 km's... thinks he's Cancellara, lol"... over "meh, they just handed him the gap", through some insinuations of clinic talk and to round it off "Cancellara would have beaten him"...

funny stuff
Yes, the "LOL" and the "let him dangle" comments began to slowly diminish at around 20km to go. Gee, I wonder why?
Old 04-09-12, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Thank God I have a DVR. Most boring P-R in memory. Nothing much more to say for me.
I don't understand the negativity about the race. I thought it was a herculeun effort by Boonen. I mean, a guy takes an enormous risk by attacking with just under 60kms to go when it's likely that he could have just sat back and waited to win in a small bunch sprint. Doesn't he deserve massive props for winning with real panache?
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1
Old 04-09-12, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasC View Post
At 0:11 Boonen: "Pussies! Let's go, Niki!"
And he's right.
I remember loving that moment when I was watching the race live. It was so clear that they were just setting a fast pace and not even trying an attack. Then they turned around, noticed the gap had opened, and Boonen just gestured with his head, "let's go."
Old 04-09-12, 02:17

What was impressive about Boonen's ride was how decisive his move was. It almost seemed like he initially wasn't intending to go so far from the finish, but when he saw his rivals hesitating he gave it full gas and took full advantage of the hesitation behind.

The same cannot be said for the chase, I just can't understand what the other riders were thinking here. They basically allowed Boonen to ride away and establish his initial gap, everyone was too afraid of exposing themselves and they all just sat and looked at each other waiting for someone else to take up the chase. Even after this initial hesitation Boonen's lead was not insurmountable, yet the group just sat back and let the three Sky riders do all of the work. They had 14 riders in the chase at one point, if all of these riders had started pulling and working together even Boonen might have had trouble holding off 14 against one.
Old 04-09-12, 02:41

Congrats to Boonen, it was almost like a procession of his strength pitted aginst the cobbles whilst also crushing the others.

Great ride by Terpstra/ the rest of OPQS ( a pity that Chavanel was not there after his puncture ).
Nice ride by Turgot, who surprised many- though as soon as i saw him join the group i knew he would win the sprint. I was however scared that he would not when Ballan surged near the end. Again i feel sorry for Ballan, the gap went just as he came back on and he had to wait for Hushovd who then crashed. His team that went so well placing him at the start then disappeared- they still did ok- congrats to Phinney ( though Ballan may have been able to do more if he did not attack earlier ).
Nice ride by Flecha- a rider with class and at least animated the race.
Boom also did well but he should have used his teammate to help Sky and he winded his sprint up too early.

I feel sorry for ML who looked to have a top 5 guarenteed. Also Pozzato who whilst maybe not as strong as Boonen could have reeled him back/ played a bigger role.

I cannot believe Sky rode for EBH, all that hard work by Stannard/ Hayman ( who finished 8th ). EBH should stick to G-W and grow more as a cobbled rider before getting leadership status at races like P-R.
I also do not get how Terpstra and Turgot caught back on, the other ridersshould have kept the pace higher. Also what happened to Degenkolb???

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 04-09-12, 02:50

Woke up this morning only to catch Tom getting hugs. I just saw the replay on NBC Sports. Always a lot of advertising there and I never saw Terpstra "loose" Boonen's wheel. Did he sit up and fall back to effect the chase or simply could not keep Tom's wheel on the pave?

Massive win for Boonen. What a crusher that guy is. Among the best solo wins ever!
Old 04-09-12, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideout leadout View Post
Did you guys think this was a great race this year?

I didn't feel it at all. Arenberg was fun as always but other than that, no emotions. I guess I miss the fight between Fabu and Boonen.
I admire Boonens' effort but it was not as good as the last 3 editions.

I think that Boonen would have won even with Cancellara here ( he made a mammoth effort from a long way out, whereas if Cancellara was here he would have responded to his attcks and smoked him in the sprint ).

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"