All three grand tours. - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?
Yes, he defintely has a good chance. 5 4.27%
Yes, but he only has a good chance with the "no points" rule dropped. 0 0%
Probably not, but if anyone can, it's him. 50 42.74%
Probably not, but he has a slight chance with the "no points" rule dropped. 3 2.56%
He simply cannot do it. 59 50.43%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-12, 14:58

Default All three grand tours.

Could Contador win all three grand tours in one season?

I was scanning through the PCM achievements list and one caught my eye "King of the World: Win all three grand tours in one season". I began to assemble a custom team to attempt to pull this off, and it got me thinking: could he actually do it?

While he disappointed trying to do the Giro/Tour last year, he had an injury and a pretty poor team for a rider of his standard. Obviously this year is off the cards but next year looks to be a very climb heavy Tour. The only man who can match him in the mountains is Schleck, but one would expect him to lose time in the TTs. By that time, Evans will be over the hill, and no-one has really appeared in the same class as those two.

With a good team able to take the pressure off him, he might not have to do so much of his work himself, reducing the fatigue going from race to race. If the Vuelta field is (somehow) as weak as in 2011, even an exhausted Contador should blow them apart.

Obviously securing a team that good would hinge a lot on whether the UCI's "no points for returning riders" rule is enforceable.

So, can he do it? How likely is it?
Old 04-03-12, 14:59

No.

For starters he won't try.

I'd say its about as likely as Frank Schleck winning this years Tour.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 04-03-12, 15:02

No way at all
Old 04-03-12, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
No.

For starters he won't try.

I'd say its about as likely as Frank Schleck winning this years Tour.
How do you know he won't try? He would become one of the true legends of the sport.
Old 04-03-12, 15:07

Contador will rape everyone in August. He'll also destroy Cancellara and Tony Martin in the time trial in September. Watch out!
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 04-03-12, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruut View Post
How do you know he won't try? He would become one of the true legends of the sport.
He doesn't do the Vuelta even when he has just the Tour in his legs. No way is he going to try a Vuelta after a Tour and a Giro in his legs.

And he doesn't even have a Giro Tour or Tour Vuelta double yet. Yes he got very unlucky in the 2011 Tour but if he hadn't been - hadn't lost minutes in the first weekend, hadn't been thrown of his bike by Karpets, hadn't hurt his knee, there would be no guarantee that he would have won the race.

Now try doing the Vuelta after that. How is he even supposed to prepare?

Nevermind that many people couldn't get over the Giro despite skipping the tour.

But most importantly Contador is someone who when he goes to a race, goes to perform. He has done 4 gts in 3 years and he has been ready for all of them. And he has gone all out in all of them. Its not like him to save up in 1 gt to prepare for the next. 3 gts in 1 year, I think he knows even he doesn't have the legs for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Contador will rape everyone in August. He'll also destroy Cancellara and Tony Martin in the time trial in September. Watch out!
Relevance to thread?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 04-03-12 at 15:11.
Old 04-03-12, 15:09

Quote:
Don't use such foul language. Alberto will rape no one.
Old 04-03-12, 15:09

Quote:
That's not very relevant is it.
Old 04-03-12, 15:10

@ Hitch if he has the Giro-Tour double I'm sure he'll try the Vuelta too.

Also I saw you are following me on twitter. How did you find me?
Old 04-03-12, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
That's not very relevant is it.
33% of the work done, it's very relevant
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 04-03-12 at 15:13.