TDF 2012: Titans Collide. Dennis Menchov Versus Cadel Evans...possible rivalry. - Page 12 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-13-12, 08:43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanton View Post
True. It's not that feasible to win back 4 minutes from Evans though (or from Froome for that matter )
Such an assumption works only if we suppose Evans will be as good as he was in Grenoble while Schleck will do badly. I'm sure he will ride TT better than in 2011, when he was too exhausted after the Alps. Also, we have to keep in mind Andy's giant climbing edge over everyone, including Evans.
Old 04-13-12, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanton View Post
True. It's not that feasible to win back 4 minutes from Evans though (or from Froome for that matter )
Evans even in his good GTs has dropped lots of time to good climbers on individual stages. 2 min to Sastre, 3 to Basso, Nibali, Scarponi. Froome, depends on if he is in Vuelta form, or the form that he's had the rest of his career.

Last edited by karlboss; 04-13-12 at 10:47.
Old 04-28-12, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustienordic View Post
I think Wiggins might win, but I think that is solely because of his TT ability. He needs to pull out a great TT and hope to hang on in the MTNs, but Schleck knows he needs to attack, and so will, bringing with him Samu & Evans. I don't see Wiggins or Menchov capable of the same climbing prowess. Yet look at Contador in the 2008 Giro; he was hardly the dominant climber we saw in other years but since the stronger climbers kept cracking at unfortunate times, he was able to win. Could see a situation like this happen.
Menchov doesn't need to keep pace with Andy in the climbs. If he does Kudos. If he doesn't he will burn Andy in the time trial. As long as Menchov doesn't lose too much time to Andy in the mountains, he'll beat him. But I wouldn't be surprised if Menchov hangs with Andy. If Cadel can hang with Andy in the mountains, there is no doubt Menchov can.
Old 04-28-12, 08:57

Menchov doesn't waste energy with other races trying to prove himself. Perhaps he just can't afford to physiologically or it's just a mental thing, but unless he's under the gun, he wont show us his true form.
Old 04-28-12, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerider View Post
Menchov doesn't waste energy with other races trying to prove himself. Perhaps he just can't afford to physiologically or it's just a mental thing, but unless he's under the gun, he wont show us his true form.
Well, he's got me fooled !
Old 04-28-12, 15:11

I agree Menchov has shown Zero so far this year except for one attack in a race early on. I was like wow there is life in those legs yet. Now he drops out of Romandie. Anyone know why???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-09-12, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
I agree Menchov has shown Zero so far this year except for one attack in a race early on. I was like wow there is life in those legs yet. Now he drops out of Romandie. Anyone know why???
Probably dropped out because his priority is to win the Tour, not Romandie.
Old 05-09-12, 00:53

Menchov v's Evans???This is not the important battle to be watched.Menchoz is way overated by some on this forum.Maybe top 10 for menchov.The big battle will be evans v's wiggins"both have good teams and can time trial well.Sorry schleck fans but andy definantley wont win this year'(to many TT kms)So the only rivalry i can see is for stage wins maybe?Menchov should have ridden the giro instead.
Old 05-09-12, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin View Post
Probably dropped out because his priority is to win the Tour, not Romandie.
tendonitis in the menchov thread, taken from katusha site. http://www.katushateam.com/2012/eng/...ews&m=4&n=1590
Old 05-09-12, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxland View Post
Menchov v's Evans???This is not the important battle to be watched.Menchoz is way overated by some on this forum.Maybe top 10 for menchov.The big battle will be evans v's wiggins"both have good teams and can time trial well.Sorry schleck fans but andy definantley wont win this year'(to many TT kms)So the only rivalry i can see is for stage wins maybe?Menchov should have ridden the giro instead.
In the Giro: 4 high-mountain summit finishes, 3 medium-mountain summit finishes and 39km of ITT

In the Tour: 3 MTFs, 100km of TT