47th Amstel Gold Race (The maze) - Sunday April 15, 2012 - Page 14 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-12-12, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudz0r View Post
Samuel Sanchez will start in the AGR after all.
Hell YEAH !

Hope he doesnt take it easy and rides for at least Win or Top 10 :P Have him in my velogames
Old 04-12-12, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Hell YEAH !

Hope he doesnt take it easy and rides for at least Win or Top 10 :P Have him in my velogames
Sanchez is usually not that great in Amstel... no idea why, but he's never quite up there.
Old 04-12-12, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Sanchez is usually not that great in Amstel... no idea why, but he's never quite up there.
Yeah, noticed it by the results. That's why I'd hope he could get a Top 10 and then prepare for FW and LBL where he definitely stands a chance for the win in that form he has. We'l guess soon. Looking forward to it though
Old 04-12-12, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
because the climbs are way too short for him. he isn't overly explosive
Old 04-12-12, 14:53

I don't have a clue who is going to win. I know for certain that Westra will come second, however.

Seriously, I think the order will be as follows:

Sagan
Gerrans
J-Rod
Purito
Sammy
Voeckler
Poels
Voeckler
Frandy
Someone from Rabo
Old 04-12-12, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaher View Post
I don't have a clue who is going to win. I know for certain that Westra will come second, however.

Seriously, I think the order will be as follows:

Sagan
Gerrans
J-Rod
Purito
Sammy
Voeckler
Poels
Voeckler
Frandy
Someone from Rabo

I'm sure Purito would gladly trade his 3rd and 4th places for 1st
Old 04-12-12, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Yeah, noticed it by the results. That's why I'd hope he could get a Top 10 and then prepare for FW and LBL where he definitely stands a chance for the win in that form he has. We'l guess soon. Looking forward to it though
There are rumours Sanchez will only ride Amstel because of the Worlds. I hope he will get a very good result so it would be ridiculous not to ride Fleche and/or Liege.
Old 04-12-12, 15:04

All I'm hoping for is that Vacansoleil can make up for the rabofail we've had all these years. Hopefully Poels can get second behind Rodriguez like in the Vuelta (or beat him)

Not sure if Poels is fit for long hard classics though, guess he'll show us these weeks in the Ardennes if he is fit for classics. Still, as a Dutchman, I've placed my hope firmly on Vacansoleil, rather then rabobank.
Old 04-12-12, 15:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
becaus eunless I'm mistaken, which I think not he's never actaully even finished a classic race, expect lombardia 25th last year
In 2009, his first year in movistar and only 22 years old he raced all five monuments and finished them all except liege where he was already in no form at all because of the extremely heavy schedule he had for the first part of the season.

his best result was in the GDL where he finished, 26th 1:15 down on gilbert.
25 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Quick Step 0:01:15
26 Rui Alberto Faria Da Costa (Por) Caisse d'Epargne

last year his first 3 races of the season where the ardennes and he finished all 3 outside the time limit because of obvious lack of form. I think even you agree that there was no way he could be in decent shape at that time, don't you?

anyway your argument that he never finished a classic could be more wrong.
Old 04-12-12, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
In 2009, his first year in movistar and only 22 years old he raced all five monuments and finished them all except liege where he was already in no form at all because of the extremely heavy schedule he had for the first part of the season.

his best result was in the GDL where he finished, 26th 1:15 down on gilbert.
25 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Quick Step 0:01:15
26 Rui Alberto Faria Da Costa (Por) Caisse d'Epargne

last year his first 3 races of the season where the ardennes and he finished all 3 outside the time limit because of obvious lack of form. I think even you agree that there was no way he could be in decent shape at that time, don't you?

anyway your argument that he never finished a classic could be more wrong.
Conclusion, you cannot complain that people don't see him as a favorite, becasue he hasn't shown it yet.