47th Amstel Gold Race (The maze) - Sunday April 15, 2012 - Page 17 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-13-12, 02:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
I know he is the lieutenant for Rodriguez, but Moreno could be a dangerous outsider as well.
So could Paolini ( based on his RvV ). I love both their riding styles.

I think however Moreno will not get a chance to feature ( except for being JROD's/ freires' last man ) because Katusha will have to ride at the front.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 04-13-12, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
The immensely strong Movistar squad:
Alejandro Valverde
Giovanni Visconti
Rui Costa
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Angel Madrazo
Pablo Lastras
Vasil Kiryienka
Imanol Erviti
They should have Arroyo for Erviti.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

D&C "He will soon......"
Old 04-13-12, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
I'd be really surprised if Gerrans could extend his form from Down Under to Milano - Sanremo until the Gold Race. The Vuelta a Pais Vasco doesn't give much hope either.
Maybe he can't but he wanted to peak for the Ardenes, not M-SR.

D&C "He will soon......"
Old 04-13-12, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Maybe he can't but he wanted to peak for the Ardenes, not M-SR.
Agree with you there, I don't think Gerrans had to be in great form for what he did at Nationals, TDU, P-N,or M-SR. Nor would any of these efforts burned him out.
I've derided Gerrans over the last few years, touted as a next big thing in Australian cycling but in my mind had not really achieved much to justify it. This year he's looked loads better and I'm hoping I'll eat my words.
Old 04-13-12, 03:11

I wonder if Evans will be as strong as in 2010 in the classics (or stronger). He hasnt had any falls or sickness or anything to stop him. He would have to win by just grinding it out all the way up the final climb. Most likely the schlecks and him will try something earlier to at least try to make it hard for the others.
Old 04-13-12, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede1 View Post
I wonder if Evans will be as strong as in 2010 in the classics (or stronger). He hasnt had any falls or sickness or anything to stop him. He would have to win by just grinding it out all the way up the final climb. Most likely the schlecks and him will try something earlier to at least try to make it hard for the others.
I think the Cauberg finish is too fast for Evans, but if the race is tough all day he's a possibility. For BMC, GVA is in good form, but needs the opposite kind of race to make it to the finish in contention
I'm tipping Rodriguez, has finished second twice here and is arriving with good form and a strong team. Movistar look really good also for Valverde. Gerrans form has been good, but i think he'll be fending for himself a little in the finale.
Hoping for Sanchez
Old 04-13-12, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlboss View Post
Agree with you there, I don't think Gerrans had to be in great form for what he did at Nationals, TDU, P-N,or M-SR. Nor would any of these efforts burned him out.
I've derided Gerrans over the last few years, touted as a next big thing in Australian cycling but in my mind had not really achieved much to justify it. This year he's looked loads better and I'm hoping I'll eat my words.
Maybe the lack of achievement was more to do with his time at Sky, as he seemed to go backwards once he moved from Cervelo, or possibly injury but he has certainly flourished with GE and the leadership role they have given him. I don't think fending for himself will hurt Gerrans as he did that with all of his big clashes this year but I am pretty confident that guys like Clarke, Impey and Albasini will look after him well. In fact GE may use the same ploy as MSR and have someone like Albasini or Clarke in the cover role that Gerrans played for Goss.

I think Evans does have the speed to go with them in the latter stages but not sure what the BMC tactics will be and how well Gilbert is travelling. Sanchez, Valverde and Sagan are rightfully amongst the favourites with my outsider being Voeckler at $26

Joaquin Rodriguez
P Sagan
S Gerrans
P Gilbert
A Valverde
S Sanchez
D Cunego
C Evans
O Freire
G Van Avermaet
J Van Den Broeck
T Voeckler
R Gesink
V Nibali
D Martin
R Hesjedal
C Horner
O Gatto
W Poels
F Schleck
G Meersman
B Mollema
J Hoogerland
E Boasson Hagen
Syl Chavanel
Old 04-13-12, 05:51

Sky betting is a little different and they have Gilbert and Evans even more closely bracketed. These betting prices would seem to suggest that BMC will be looking to Gilbert for the win and Evans to assist but ride for the win if Gilbert is dropped.

Matt Hayman, 200-1....gee one day Sky might let him loose and he could score a huge upset.
Old 04-13-12, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqui View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There was a lot of pressure on him to be good at TDU and it may have made him peak a bit too early.
At least Greenedge won't be expected to control the race. Gerrans also seemed to be riding well within himself at Pais Vasco.

I'm tipping top 5 after opening up the sprint a little early.
Old 04-13-12, 06:28

an open letter to the Belgian national road champ:
Crunch time is here, party time is over. You have 2 options on Sunday, win or die trying, no more cruising around with the peloton, finishing in the 50's with a clean jersey. If you don't win, you should be covered in sweat, snot, and a little blood. Please honor that jersey for the next 2 weeks.