Ivan Basso Discussion Thread - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Do you think basso will win Il Giro this year?
Yes. 38 33.93%
No. 74 66.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-12, 00:11

I actually think he will. He doesn't look too bad at the moment, and there are barely any decisive stages in the Giro before about 12 stages are done anyway. By then his form will be there and his excellent recuperation will come into play. Scarponi will have pink for long, but crack on one of the big mountains in the final week.
Old 04-28-12, 00:21

Climbed well in trentino and well within himself. Basso is my tip for the Giro, it'll be the same as 2010 all over, looking ok until the 3rd week and then untouchable on stelvio.

Scarponi will play the role of Evans.
Old 04-28-12, 00:30

Yeah i'd say he will be really good in the third week. But Scarponi is still going to be tough to beat as he also knows how to recover and can hang with Basso on most of the climbs. I still wouldnt mind seeing Basso win though.
Old 04-28-12, 00:39

His Giro winning day's are past, first off he wants to win le Tour after winning the Giro already so has used it (so he says) for training or to support Nibali or to have Nibali support him at le Tour after his support at the Giro. Unless Nibali has switched with him and they're aiming for different goals this year. I think he'll take a cameo stage and then take part in pack fill 2012.
Old 04-28-12, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
His Giro winning day's are past, first off he wants to win le Tour after winning the Giro already so has used it (so he says) for training or to support Nibali or to have Nibali support him at le Tour after his support at the Giro. Unless Nibali has switched with him and they're aiming for different goals this year. I think he'll take a cameo stage and then take part in pack fill 2012.
No way is Basso going to be leader at both, unless Liquigas have decided that they don't want Nibali to ride for them any more, and just fancy ****ing him off.
Old 04-28-12, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I think Basso knows he can't win the Tour this year. While we all make fun of Andy Schleck's TT ability, Basso is worse.
He could however be a great domestique for Nibali at the tour. I would think Basso will ride the Giro and then be a domestique for the tour, while Nibali should skip the Giro, peak for the Tour then think about la Vuelta.
Old 04-28-12, 01:08

Basso could go anywhere from top to outside the first 10 and that is the problem for Liquigas. Basso on his own against a formidable Lampre machine seems almost unfair on paper.
Old 04-28-12, 01:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Basso could go anywhere from top to outside the first 10 and that is the problem for Liquigas. Basso on his own against a formidable Lampre machine seems almost unfair on paper.
if basso is in good shape he will get ride of cunego before he can do any damage, so the lampre due shouldn't be a big problem
Old 04-28-12, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
if basso is in good shape he will get ride of cunego before he can do any damage, so the lampre due shouldn't be a big problem
Basso is usually worthless in the first two weeks, so Cunego could do some damage on some of the "smaller" stages before Basso even enter the race for real. Liquigas simply needs a stronger hand going into the game.
Old 04-28-12, 01:47

Basso knows "how" to win Il Giro-BUT- his current shape is a mystery(maybe bluffing a bit) he hasn't shown any sort of form at all...

on the other hand- he only has Scarponi as his main contender........