Gesink Discussion Thread - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-21-12, 12:10

Default Gesink Discussion Thread

Come on now. I think Robert is now entitled to his own appreciation thread. He has had a difficult year; the (Dutch) press was awfully hard on him after last years tour; it was said that he had a weak character and wasn't hard enough to be a winner; he has had the overcome the death of his father.

I like the guy. He comes across as humble and hard working. He's a rider that shows emotion and you can see when he's suffering.

What do you expect him to do in the remaining season?

Last edited by Parrulo; 05-31-12 at 19:04.
Old 05-21-12, 12:35

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Hopefully a good Tour de France. No falls, no bad luck. He could suprise many if that happens
Old 05-21-12, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Hopefully a good Tour de France. No falls, no bad luck. He could suprise many if that happens
Not really. Without bad luck top 5 wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Unless you think he can win lol.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 05-21-12, 12:39

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Without bad luck, yeah he can win.
There is no Contador. Andy is worse than ever. Only Evans and Wiggins are the biggest problems then
It's an open Tour this year anyway. Vandenbroeck could win too. Nibali too...

Last edited by Dekker_Tifosi; 05-21-12 at 12:41.
Old 05-21-12, 12:44

I still think it's amazing you can win a race with this in your leg. The guy is really a hard worker, he just never gives up. That's what I like about him, it's inspiring. I don't really consider him a Tour favourite though, IMO you need a better foundation and buildup to your season to do well in the Tour.

Old 05-21-12, 12:56

I think expectations after this Tour of California might be a bit too high for some people. I like Gesink, I would be elated for him if he wins the Tour one day, but I don't think it will be this year. His road to recovery has been a long one, and like he said himself, he's not there yet. Like youngest said, he would need a better foundation in the build-up to the Tour in order to be considered among the favorites. I would love for him to surprise me and prove me wrong though I'd be more than happy to eat my words. He really is a hard worker, not many are more honest than this guy on a bike either. He really suffered for the win in California, inspiring indeed.
Old 05-21-12, 12:59

I was pleased to see him ride well in TOC! Ugly climber and suffering but exploded off the front and got the job done. A deserved win for sure.

Hopefully he stays on his bike in le Tour and puts on a good show!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-21-12, 13:02

He is a great rider with a good attitude. Always pushes himself to the limit, always races for a good result and it's about time he starts winning the important stage races.

I doubt however if he can do top 5 in the TdF this year. He is still recovering from his fracture and his form is good but I don't think he has his top level back in July. And there is of course a big risk he crashes again in the tour, hope he finally has some luck this year on that front.
On the other hand, he is a great climber (after Alberto and Andy maybe the best in the peloton?) and his ITT has improved a lot. So maybe...
Old 05-21-12, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardus View Post
He is a great rider with a good attitude. Always pushes himself to the limit, always races for a good result and it's about time he starts winning the important stage races.

I doubt however if he can do top 5 in the TdF this year. He is still recovering from his fracture and his form is good but I don't think he has his top level back in July. And there is of course a big risk he crashes again in the tour, hope he finally has some luck this year on that front.
On the other hand, he is a great climber (after Alberto and Andy maybe the best in the peloton?) and his ITT has improved a lot. So maybe...
There are many that can be put in the same bracket after Contador and Shleck 2.0. I don't think we can really judge Gesink's real level at this year's Tour though.
Old 05-21-12, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
it was said that he had a weak character and wasn't hard enough to be a winner
That's a ridiculous thing to say about ANYONE at pro tour level, even the genetically gifted have to work like dogs to get anywhere.
It just shows you the true nature of everyone and everything involved with "journalism" - from any nation. Never let the truth get in the way of selling more papers/ratings.