Gesink Discussion Thread - Page 42 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #411  
Old 01-01-13, 09:08
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

I agree that Gesink is not exposive enough to beat the likes of Valverde, Rodriguez, Gilbert, Contador, A Schleck, S Sanchez in a sprint uphill. I think Gesink is a similar type as Froome, Tall, Skinny and has an OK acceleration, however as you saw in the Vuelta with Froome in good shape, he needs to take a min or so to get back to the real explosive riders. The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble. Plus they are also good time trialers, which most explosive guys are not. I think Contador has best of both worlds (close to the best time trialer at least) and thats why he is the number 1 GT rider in the last decade.
Gesink in 2012 was all about recovery and he even shared during the Vuelta that the strength in his legs are not fully back yet to how it was before breaking his legs.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 01-01-13, 11:52
Gloin22 Gloin22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
I agree that Gesink is not exposive enough to beat the likes of Valverde, Rodriguez, Gilbert, Contador, A Schleck, S Sanchez in a sprint uphill. I think Gesink is a similar type as Froome, Tall, Skinny and has an OK acceleration, however as you saw in the Vuelta with Froome in good shape, he needs to take a min or so to get back to the real explosive riders. The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble. Plus they are also good time trialers, which most explosive guys are not. I think Contador has best of both worlds (close to the best time trialer at least) and thats why he is the number 1 GT rider in the last decade.
Gesink in 2012 was all about recovery and he even shared during the Vuelta that the strength in his legs are not fully back yet to how it was before breaking his legs.
Really ? His shape was mediocore at very best and downgraded since 2 week on..
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 01-01-13, 11:57
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Really ? His shape was mediocore at very best and downgraded since 2 week on..
In the first week he seemed pretty strong... challenging Rodriguez on that wall, etc. He's not going to get much better than that.

Also better than Gesink has ever been, so I don't know what Leendert82 is on about.
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 01-01-13, 15:15
staubsauger staubsauger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 557
Default

Actually Froome is a pretty decent uphill sprinter isn't he? He won a stage at the Tour and at the Vuelta that way.

Also in fact Andy Schleck isn't a good uphill sprinter from my point-of-view. Just remember how Gilbert played with Andy and Frank at Luik-Bastenaken-Luik last year. He managed to win that Tour stage in 2010, because he has a good acceleration. But Andy Schleck doesn't fix in that list with Gilbert and Rodriguez.

I would compare Gesink more with Basso qua riding style. They're both diesels. Sometimes they got a pretty decent acceleration to get a small gap and then motoring a good tempo uphill to distance the rivals even more. Of course Basso is or was on another level at this. Still at the Vuelta 09 Gesink was better. So the ability should be there.

Last edited by staubsauger; 01-01-13 at 15:17.
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 01-01-13, 16:10
will10's Avatar
will10 will10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Really ? His shape was mediocore at very best and downgraded since 2 week on..
Froome nosedived after the first week but in that first week he was very good. He is not yet so extraterrestrial that he can compete with Purito on Arrate in mediocre shape.
__________________
Quote:
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 06-13-13, 21:14
burning burning is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,809
Default

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesi...-the-criticism

A comment from his biggest fan:
Ryo Hazuki 4 hours ago
what a crybaby. name one other rider that gets paid 1 million euros a year is leader in every race and gt he wants and never delivers.being top ten in a gt nobody cares about that, gesink. how many stages have you won?
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 06-13-13, 21:36
jens_attacks's Avatar
jens_attacks jens_attacks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,254
Default

those comments by gesink....lol...i made my choice, good then go and race with the cyclotourists la marmotte and let us in peace
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 06-13-13, 22:55
hidache hidache is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesi...-the-criticism

A comment from his biggest fan:
Ryo Hazuki 4 hours ago
what a crybaby. name one other rider that gets paid 1 million euros a year is leader in every race and gt he wants and never delivers.being top ten in a gt nobody cares about that, gesink. how many stages have you won?
TJVG, although officially he's not the team's first leader in the tour.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 06-14-13, 07:10
greenedge's Avatar
greenedge greenedge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,799
Default

A top 5 in his 2nd GT, at a younger age than Gesink and you say that about TJVG?
__________________
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 06-14-13, 07:48
nick101 nick101 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
The problem with Explosive Riders is that they can only keep that pace for a short time. Froome and Gesink on the other hand can keep a very high tempo uphil for a longer period of time, which then the explosive guys get in more trouble.
did you miss the 2009 & 2010 tour where both times an explosive rider repeatedly attacked with a massive acceleration AND held a very high tempo to distance all other rivals? most explosive climbers have the tempo of a diesel but a massive acceleration. as for the morzine avoriz stage that schleck won, the last 500m were pretty much flat so it was a sprint between schleck and sanchez, schleck just had the acceleration on the day to narrowly beat sanchez.

gesink maybe just needs a good director or someone to motivate him in training and races so he can do well??, just like schleck. when he was younger he didn't have as much pressure for him to perform and he was more motivated so obviously did better at gts like the vuelta
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.