Thomas de Gendt Discussion Thread - Page 16 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-23-12, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
I said he wasn't a gt rider? I said he neede da good team around him to place him. I never said he couldn't do a top 20 I've always been one of the believers in de gendts incredible talents
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpos...5&postcount=87

Yeah, luckily for you I remember everything I read. So while Hitch did say he was a GC contender you said he wasn't(you have to look at the whole conversation of that page though).
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-23-12 at 13:29.
Old 11-23-12, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpos...5&postcount=87

Yeah, luckily for you I remember everything I read. So while Hitch did say he was a GC contender you said he wasn't(you have to look at the whole conversation of that page though).
I like that convo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianrider View Post
For the GC this is totally irellevant.
There simply isn't one serious GC contender in this Giro who is an above average TTlist. So even if someone like Schleck looses close to a minute on the winner, he-ll still only lose a few second on the best GC guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Thomas de gendt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
I think you missed the word "serious" in BR's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
and gc contender

Cheers grills
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 11-23-12 at 14:20.
Old 03-25-13, 18:24

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-g...tour-de-france

Can he crack top ten? This is going to be a high level Tour with SKY already setting the pre-race tone.
Old 03-25-13, 19:36

Seems to me he's got things the wrong way round with his ITT abilities...should have done the 2012 TDF and the 2013 Giro! Ah yes, he got married during the TDF last year, duh...
Old 03-25-13, 22:55

Very talented rider but I don't think many expected him to podium the Giro. Good in long breaks and very strong but I have doubts about his consistency in a race like the Tour. I would be surprised if he made the top 10 and Sky were not an issue in the 2012 Giro. I think he would have been better off riding the Giro again even though Sky will be an issue in both races this year.
Old 03-25-13, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Very talented rider but I don't think many expected him to podium the Giro. Good in long breaks and very strong but I have doubts about his consistency in a race like the Tour. I would be surprised if he made the top 10 and Sky were not an issue in the 2012 Giro. I think he would have been better off riding the Giro again even though Sky will be an issue in both races this year.
not going to happen, he is in a dutch team. They are obsessed with Tour, Besides DeGendt himself said Tour climb suits his character much better than Giro or Vuelta climb.
Old 03-26-13, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmartin View Post
not going to happen, he is in a dutch team. They are obsessed with Tour, Besides DeGendt himself said Tour climb suits his character much better than Giro or Vuelta climb.
it will likely end in the dull placement category, if De Gendt tries to just hang on the train and see where it get him.

Riders like him (there are quite a few) should rather tank an early stage and go in a key break to try and upset the applecart.
Old 03-26-13, 07:11

He rode the Tour once (in 2011), his first GT. He got injured in the first week, but then got 6th on Alpe d'Huez (same time as Evans and Schleck) and 4th in the final TT. Which does suggest that the Tour suits him.
Old 03-26-13, 09:20

I'm a huge fan. Really. But can' possibly see him placing top 8
Old 03-26-13, 11:46

Dont forget he podiumed at the Giro because of bad tactics of others, and, of course his own stellar attack/tactics on the Stelvio. That will not happed again.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.