Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-26-12, 16:52

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi
Default Joaquim 'Purito' Rodriguez Discussion thread

I must admit, I have a sort of love/hate relationship with this guys racing style. The attacks on short steep walls and racing in classics is fine with me and I kinda admire his exploits on Monte Lupone and Muur de Huy...

But his racing in GT's is making me sad. Always the same wheelsucking till 800m to go and sprint. Only difference was dauphine 11 on l'allevard and earlier in his career, but then he always blew..

Last edited by Parrulo; 05-31-12 at 19:06.
Old 05-26-12, 16:54

He is who he is. What I don't like are people pretending that he is some sort of an attacking rider or a bona fide GC contender (allthough I admit that this Giro has done a lot for his status).
Old 05-26-12, 17:04

Agreed with above post. He is who he is, he doesn't pretend to be a climber than can attack from the base of a climb. He does what he does best.
Old 05-26-12, 17:10
Banned

I can't understand how it can be advisable to criticize someone who was always a surviving one in the high mountains and extracted 150% out of it in this Giro.
Old 05-26-12, 17:15
Administrator

He's working his @ss off - give the guy a break.

T
Old 05-26-12, 17:19

Im very impressed that J Rod is looking like he is going to take a gt podium.

Even if you take away the ttt he has been the strongest guy in the race. He has at one point or another dropped Basso dropped Scarponi, dropped Hejsdal, and of course has easily out performed other guys who were expected to beat him.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 05-26-12, 17:19

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

But yet. When Evans does this, he gets tons and tons of critics.

Purito does it. It's fine and dandy

Double standards here are annoying me
Old 05-26-12, 17:20

Purito is always a guy who can do it over short and medium mountains, but over the big long ones it's always going to be the last 2km for him; he has good burst but less endurance when attacking. We saw in 2008 from when he attacked, attacked some more and attacked again but always ran out of gas (usually in the face of pressure from a totally CERAd up Emanuele Sella to be fair) that he wasn't suited to it. Similarly, he stuck with Contador longer than Valverde on Angliru, but Valverde could catch and pass him.

Purito's lack of TT will always harm him, and his ability to crush for 1-2km makes him a threat in hilly and medium mountain races. He is always a figure to keep an eye on for the GC, but he isn't a true GC threat at the GTs, you would say. After all, his chronic TT put paid to his 2010 Vuelta, his inconsistency his 2010 Tour, and lack of ability to attack from distance always means that it's hard for him to win back the time he's lost - as shown in the 2011 Vuelta when he tried in a wide variety of ways to win back the time he lost on the grinding climbs, and only succeeded in blowing himself up on the next mountain.

Each time he comes to a GT he comes for the GC, and regularly spends a bit of time at the top end, but falls away, because ultimately he's quite limited as a rider.

Do not blame Purito for riding defensively today and for only attacking near the end; it's just what he's got in him. Blame the other riders being so timid, and the course being chocked full of medium mountains up until the last three days, for meaning that he's still doing that with the leader's jersey on on the penultimate day.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 05-26-12, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
But yet. When Evans does this, he gets tons and tons of critics.

Purito does it. It's fine and dandy

Double standards here are annoying me
Hardly either rider's fault. But then I tend not to criticise.
Old 05-26-12, 17:27

No one noticed that Purito attacked twice on the Mortirolo today? Sure, the attacks weren't very impressive, but he was the only favourite who gave it a go, even if he had the pink jersey.

Also, keeping a decent pace and then attacking in the last kilometre is really all he can do. He simply isn't good enough to ride away from a group and maintain his gap. He was probably on his limits all day and his trademark 1 km to go attack wasn't even that impressive - which means that if he had tried anything earlier he'd been dropped big time.