Joaquim 'Purito' Rodriguez Discussion thread - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 05-26-12, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
But yet. When Evans does this, he gets tons and tons of critics.

Purito does it. It's fine and dandy

Double standards here are annoying me
But Purito doesn't do what Evans (used to) do.
Purito gets the lead of the race, then sits on people who should be attacking him until it's close enough to the finish for him to do his thing. Evans used to sit on people and let them do the work, waiting for the ITT to beat them. Purito will lose in the ITT, so he has to do something, but he also knows he doesn't have the endurance for a long-range attack so he waits until it's inside his range. The steeper the climb, the longer his range is.

It's frustrating to watch at times, but it's the product of having a limited skillset. Evans didn't have a limited skillset, he just was prepared to lean heavily on one skill to the detriment of others. A bit like Valverde sitting in and waiting for the sprint in one-day races, I guess. Valverde's skill-set is not limited like Purito's, so it's more annoying when he doesn't take advantage of it.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 05-26-12, 17:53

But you could argue that in the case of Evans, sitting on was a smart thing to do, he could trust on his TT. Rodriguez needs every second he can get uphill, yet he rides like Evans or Menchov. I know he's limited in his climbing skills, but he's even more limited in his TT skills, so...

On the other hand, he's certainly doing great for a guy who isn't a real climber.
Old 05-26-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
No one noticed that Purito attacked twice on the Mortirolo today? Sure, the attacks weren't very impressive, but he was the only favourite who gave it a go, even if he had the pink jersey.

Also, keeping a decent pace and then attacking in the last kilometre is really all he can do. He simply isn't good enough to ride away from a group and maintain his gap. He was probably on his limits all day and his trademark 1 km to go attack wasn't even that impressive - which means that if he had tried anything earlier he'd been dropped big time.
With 17 seconds gap over a better time trialist on paper there's no such thing as "even if he had the jersey".

And his attacks were more of "maybe Hesjedal has nothing left and I can win by default" variety than any serious attempts to put him under pressure.
Old 05-26-12, 18:01

On days like this, Purito is what he is, an uphill sprinter. The rest of the year, he's a climber, look at the Tourmalet in 2010.
Old 05-26-12, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
On days like this, Purito is what he is, an uphill sprinter. The rest of the year, he's a climber, look at the Tourmalet in 2010.
Nice bit of sarcasm.
Old 05-26-12, 18:07

Rodriguez showed on the Collet D'Allevard that he can do more than a 1 kilometer sprint. In the Giro to Sestriere he showed the same. He is not as limited as some people are suggesting.

Now I would agree that a short burst of speed suits him better than an endurance effort, you can't blame people who don't like him because of that (I don't like Leipheimer either, although leeching on the wheel of the guy in front of him is most likely a good strategy for him).
Old 05-26-12, 18:11

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
? On the Tourmalet he sucked Gesinks wheel until 1km to go and attacked
Old 05-26-12, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
? On the Tourmalet he sucked Gesinks wheel until 1km to go and attacked
No, I'm talking about the people who defend Purito.

For me it's pretty clear if you can do these climbs with the best, you're strong enough to use a different tactic.
Old 05-26-12, 19:00

I don't criticise Evans or even Leipheimer for 'wheelsucking', so even handedness doesn't require me to do it to Rodriguez. On every stage he's shown himself to be consistently in the top three climbers, and he's been using his finishing speed effectively. I admit it's repetitive, but he doesn't have enough advantage over these contenders to be able to make a long range attack likely to stick, and the stakes are high.

The uphill sprinter tag could be used if he was weak in the high mountains, but in this race you can't say he has been.
Old 05-26-12, 19:01

MODS: Due to so many praises, this thread should be change immediately to Appreciation thread.

Obviously the original poster cannot differentiate between wheelsucking and smart riding.