Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 384 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-01-12, 17:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
40 in the ttt,20 in the i.
I'd say contrary.
Old 12-01-12, 17:43

@ hitch
I think you are over estimating sky's climbing ability. Side from the uran I don't think any other rider on sky mentioned can win a mtf when everybody is trying. Yes porte, henao, and kiryenka are really strong domestics, but I see them more like riders to protect leads our to keep gaps close. I think that b if tjv had had a slightly better classification on the tour and no obligation to Evans he would have put the hurt on team sky on the stage where he was called back to help cadel. I think if we get a dedicated and in form kreuziger e will have one of the best domestics ever for Contador.
Old 12-01-12, 17:50
Administrator

lol TJVG a better climber then henao, now i have heard everything.

after the ttt and first itt froome will be lucky if he has 30 seconds on contador.
Old 12-01-12, 18:02

I am not saying that tejay was better than the Colombian. What I am saying is that sky seemed a bit shocked when that had put a minute them. Tejay is not a better climber than henao, but for the time being the bmc rider is a better grand tour rider. this might be because he is being brought along as the next gt rider for bmc, I don't know what henao's goal is down the line. I do agree with your comment on Frome.
Old 12-01-12, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
it is secondary. Real battle starts when everyone is isolated. If Kreuziger and Roche will have to salvage Contador, it can only mean he won't win.
I agree, it's easier though to make damage with a great team but with Contador at 100% it's all irrelevant. Having 8 novals is then good enough.
Old 12-01-12, 18:08

Quote:
40 in the ttt,20 in the i.
I say 20 in the ttt and 0-10 in the tt
Old 12-01-12, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
lol TJVG a better climber then henao, now i have heard everything.

after the ttt and first itt froome will be lucky if he has 30 seconds on contador.
Froome will be lucky if he's ahead, aren't there some small mountains in the first days? Testing him

Besides, 30km is Contador's perfect distance, with some hills on it i would even say he's top 3 in the world when the itt is in a stage race, especially in a GT.
Old 12-01-12, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
I'd say contrary.
SKy have 5 great tters - Wiggins Froome Porte Thomas, EBH
Saxo have 2 - Contador Rogers

Saxo also have Kreuziger who is good but Sky will have Kiriyenka and Knees and maybe someone like Dowsett or Eisel. Saxo meanwhile have to pull Noval Majka Hernandez Roche CAS.

Seems clear to me Sky will destroy saxo in the ttt.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-01-12, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I say 20 in the ttt and 0-10 in the tt
The first TT is quite flat, at least that's what you'd expect if you finish close to Mont Saint Michel. Contador will lose about half a minute under normal circumstances with strong coastal wind and long flat parts), but if he's riding in yellow after the Ax-3 Domaines stage the difference could be much less.

Quote:
SKy have 5 great tters - Wiggins Froome Porte Thomas, EBH
Saxo have 2 - Contador Rogers

Saxo also have Kreuziger who is good but Sky will have Kiriyenka and Knees and maybe someone like Dowsett or Eisel. Saxo meanwhile have to pull Noval Majka Hernandez Roche CAS.

Seems clear to me Sky will destroy saxo in the ttt.
Bennati is a strong ttt'er for the Tour too, if he rides ofc.

Last edited by Pentacycle; 12-01-12 at 18:19.
Old 12-01-12, 18:24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinoviev Letter View Post
Well, yes it's secondary, but it's not insignificant. JRod, for instance, might well have won the Vuelta if he had a stronger team when things went nuts. The Tour might have looked very different if Wiggins hadn't had super strong support. Contador has always had to rely on his own strength against riders who have often had stronger teams.There are even fewer opportunities open to those riders if he has the stronger team.
The big Tour difference is that the peloton can not be so weak and disorganized like in Giro and Vuelta. All the teams are presented with best squads, so there are too many added up interests that don't let anyone go away and gain a lot.

it's false. He could complain about lack of support only in the 2011 Tour. Though, I can not say how hypothetically stronger team could help him considering how the stages unfolded.

Last edited by airstream; 12-01-12 at 18:26.