Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 420 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Alberto will never become the best cyclist of all time. That is Merckx.

He can though become the greatest stage racer of all time if he wins more GTs than Eddie (he only needs 5 more) together with some Tour + another GT doubles, and perhaps to win those big one week stage races he hasn't already won.
I say 7 more wins but there you go...
Old 12-13-12, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovecycling View Post
Like somebody said,Alberto is already a legend.He displays this period of our sport.
But...I wish he won Triple and then,he could be named best cyclist all time.
How much I love Contador. There's no way he'll top Merckx.
Old 12-13-12, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
I say 7 more wins but there you go...
Lets split the difference and say 6, since didn't eddy also.lose 1?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-13-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
The rest of the world sees things differently than we do,

They don't understand This Thing of Ours.

they have very basic and incredibly innacurate ideas of what cycling is, how it works, what is important, who watches it, even who participates.
And e they are spectacularly uninformed when it comes to doping.

They of course only care about 1 race.

But they are the ones who control the press, the media and hence the perception of the masses.

For me Contador always was the weapon with which we fight that other world view. The ambassador of our sport. The one who can achieve things by winning multiple Tours.

Thats why I call him "The Great One". Its a special relationship

The Tour de France its itself a underwhelming race that only takes up 3 weeks of the season, but we need someone to carry the flag, get their name out there and represent our sport. And contador, polite, talented, from a big cycling country that isnt France, is good representative.

The Tour is business. Its for that other world.

The rest of the year is for us We few, we happy few, we cycling fans.
Wow! Well said!
Old 12-13-12, 11:57

Quote:
Didn't the Vuelta used to be much closer to the Giro to the point where you could not compete in both (At least to win?). If so, could Eddie have realistically won the 3 GTs in one year?
Yeah. They even.overlapped. I would have thought you would have be one.of the fans who grew up watching springtime vueltas as that was when delgado won it.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 12-13-12, 11:57

Quote:
Lets split the difference and say 6, since didn't eddy also.lose 1?
He got kicked out of the Giro but never actually won it (I think). Or are you talking about the punch on the Tour? Then again he won a Tour when Ocana had to pull out

Who knows.
Old 12-13-12, 12:01

Quote:
He got kicked out of the Giro but never actually won it (I think). Or are you talking about the punch on the Tour? Then again he won a Tour when Ocana had to pull out

Who knows.
I don't know. El.pistolero talks a lot about how if we count contador as
7 time.winner then eddy should also have one more so.i thought he had, but that's all i got.
Old 12-13-12, 12:03

Quote:
Yeah. They even.overlapped. I would have thought you would have be one.of the fans who grew up watching springtime vueltas as that was when delgado won it.
Sadly, I only ever had the chance to see the Tour growing up and none off the other GTs since that was all the was shown on British Tv. I heard about them but that was about it.

I only knew Delgado from the Tour. Some great battles with Robert Millar in the mountains and, of course, when he showed up late in 89. That made him the complete underdog whom I would then cheer on for that very reason.
Old 12-13-12, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Alberto can become a legend imo if he does the triple or if he wins 7-8 tours, both seem pretty impossible and of course he has to become world champion preferably on the road which is also almost impossible. TT world champion is possible but it's not as great as world champ on the road
According to Wiggins and Brailsford the thing that would make Wiggins a legend would be to go on and add the Vuelta and Giro to his palmares. Using their reasoning that makes Contador a legend already.
Old 12-13-12, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
According to Wiggins and Brailsford the thing that would make Wiggins a legend would be to go on and add the Vuelta and Giro to his palmares. Using their reasoning that makes Contador a legend already.
Once Alberto wins multiple Olympics golds on the track and in the TT, then yes, using that reasoning.