Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 476 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4751  
Old 01-21-13, 14:46
Carols's Avatar
Carols Carols is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Alberto about the Giro-Tour double

and about the classics:
Wow seems he is seriously considering going for the double! If he attempts it I wish him well; it'll be a tough ask. Giro has 90km+ of TT for Wiggo to get time so Giro is no gimme, he'll have to battle hard. Tour isn't that easy this year either.

But with a strong team and really good form he might be able to pull it off.
__________________
Carol S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #4752  
Old 01-21-13, 14:50
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
Wow seems he is seriously considering going for the double! If he attempts it I wish him well; it'll be a tough ask. Giro has 90km+ of TT for Wiggo to get time so Giro is no gimme, he'll have to battle hard. Tour isn't that easy this year either.

But with a strong team and really good form he might be able to pull it off.
yea 90 km but that is including the ttt and the mtt, in those he won't lose that much time
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #4753  
Old 01-21-13, 14:57
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 22,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Alberto about the Giro-Tour double

and about the classics:
This seems to be based on the interview we were discussing yesterday. No new information.

Hopefully he grows some.braincells though and does the vuelta and worlds.
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #4754  
Old 01-21-13, 14:59
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
yea 90 km but that is including the ttt and the mtt, in those he won't lose that much time
He'll win time
Reply With Quote
  #4755  
Old 01-21-13, 15:05
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
This seems to be based on the interview we were discussing yesterday. No new information.

Hopefully he grows some.braincells though and does the vuelta and worlds.
I don't know if he can do worlds even if he wants to because of MPCC thing
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #4756  
Old 01-21-13, 16:49
TheEnoculator's Avatar
TheEnoculator TheEnoculator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 618
Default

If Contador does the Giro/Tour, I don't think he'll get the double this time even if he doesn't crash or has no bad luck.

Sure, the routes are more balanced, and his team is stronger, but the biggest obstacle for him is Froome, whom Contador admits he's afraid of the most. Froome will be fresh and ready. And if Wiggins does the Giro, which he most likely will, Froome will likely captain the Tour. Brailsford would have to be an idiot to have Wiggins captain the Tour after the Giro.

With Purito, Nibali, Hesjedal and Wiggins there, Contador can't soft pedal to win the Giro. Contador will be tired by the third week of the Tour at the latest.
Reply With Quote
  #4757  
Old 01-21-13, 17:03
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
He'll win time
Of course
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #4758  
Old 01-21-13, 17:38
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnoculator View Post
If Contador does the Giro/Tour, I don't think he'll get the double this time even if he doesn't crash or has no bad luck.

Sure, the routes are more balanced, and his team is stronger, but the biggest obstacle for him is Froome, whom Contador admits he's afraid of the most. Froome will be fresh and ready. And if Wiggins does the Giro, which he most likely will, Froome will likely captain the Tour. Brailsford would have to be an idiot to have Wiggins captain the Tour after the Giro.

With Purito, Nibali, Hesjedal and Wiggins there, Contador can't soft pedal to win the Giro. Contador will be tired by the third week of the Tour at the latest.
Contador was at his best in the last week of the tour 2011. Not giro-form of course.

Without all these crashes and time-loss it would have been completely differently.

Also take into account that Contador has experienced how it feels now and also very important to keep in mind that the giro is not so hard as 2 years ago.

He can do it.

But i won't lie, if one guy is holding Contador down to do this then it's Froome, no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #4759  
Old 01-21-13, 17:50
serfla serfla is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Contador was at his best in the last week of the tour 2011. Not giro-form of course.
Contador at his best wouldn't have to let the group on Galibier.
Maybe he was at his best in that particular edition of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
But i won't lie, if one guy is holding Contador down to do this then it's Froome, no doubt.
I don't agree.
I'm expecting a decline in Froome's form this season. And even if it doesn't decline, Froome still doesn't have what it takes to win the Tour.

Targeting the Giro is seriously jeopardizing Sky's chances at the Tour.
Reply With Quote
  #4760  
Old 01-21-13, 18:06
Carols's Avatar
Carols Carols is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
yea 90 km but that is including the ttt and the mtt, in those he won't lose that much time
Hopefully not lose to much in the TTT! Sky is pretty formidable TTT team no? MTT yes he shouldn't lose to much.

Still he's not going to get to just ride around, it will be Work and Energy. IMO winning both is a Big Ask. But hey go for it Alberto at least both races should be more exciting for us
__________________
Carol S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.