Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 484 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-23-13, 19:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Wiggins was nothing short of impressive last year, however, it remains to be seen how he handles being put under real pressure in the mountains, and difficult ascents at that. It might be that he can diesel his way to limiting losses and damage control, enough to then take full advantage of expressing his potential in the TTs to win. Yet Contador has a class that permits him the luxury of repeated blistering attacks, which can unravel a rival like Wiggins if not absolutely on top of his game. The smart thing for the later to do would be to consider each climb as a time trial and not worry about the accelerations of his rivals, let them either take some time out of him or fizzle out. Naturally this was his strategy last year, and it worked to a charm. Though it was never against a super Contador, or Shleck for that matter, which leaves some margin of doubt as to whether it would still be a recipe for success in such cases. In other words, is the difference in climbing ability between themselves such that, on a significantly harder climbing course, the Britonís ability at fortuitous damage control is marginally greater to overcome his rivalsí superiority in accelerated uphill stamina. This to me seems key, because while Alberto has a phenomenal capacity to blast ahead on climbs, he seems less capable of sustaining those efforts (unlike Pantani, by the way, who if somewhat less explosive than the Spaniard, was all the more continuous).
+1
That's the essence.
Old 01-23-13, 19:40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriuscat View Post
More Airstream rubbish!!

You really must do some more research before you waffle on sometimes, there's a real ignorance of cycling in your posts sometimes.

Are you off you're head man?? The parcours, ruta or Corsa are the whole basis of the race, they shape both the entry and the entire outcome of the race. An example: Put Wiggo against Berto on the 2011 Giro couse, mountain heavy, not much in the way of TT Kms, Wiggo loses 10 minutes +. last year's tour was designed for TT riders, lots of medium mountain type stages no PROPER tour type mountain stages, half a dozen alpine passes then an MTF.

As a Brit it was brilliant to have a British winner but lets not be fooled, had Berto or even Andy been there the few mountains would have been different stages to handle altogether.
Hehe, how much self-esteem a fan should have to react the way you do. Take a few pills to come down, man. You are not the only one who watches cycling. Do you think it is problem for me to ridicule your cycling visions? Of course not. But I will not be able to do that because I don't want to act like you.

Sorry, rhubroma, your post is too big that I could get myself together quickly. I'll answer a bit later.

Last edited by airstream; 01-23-13 at 19:43.
Old 01-23-13, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriuscat View Post
More Airstream rubbish!!

You really must do some more research before you waffle on sometimes, there's a real ignorance of cycling in your posts sometimes.

Are you off you're head man?? The parcours, ruta or Corsa are the whole basis of the race, they shape both the entry and the entire outcome of the race. An example: Put Wiggo against Berto on the 2011 Giro couse, mountain heavy, not much in the way of TT Kms, Wiggo loses 10 minutes +. last year's tour was designed for TT riders, lots of medium mountain type stages no PROPER tour type mountain stages, half a dozen alpine passes then an MTF.

As a Brit it was brilliant to have a British winner but lets not be fooled, had Berto or even Andy been there the few mountains would have been different stages to handle altogether.
Please, most riders enter the Tour no matter wat ASO offers them, it's not all about the amount of MTF's or TT km's. If Wiggo didn't have such a strong team he could've been isolated creating a possibility for Nibali or Vanden Broeck to win. Those guys however are very limited, maybe Contador could indeed have made a difference, if he'd kept his TT losses in control. Ie the riders and amount of talent in the race make the difference.

PS: not everything airstream posts is rubbish. Wiggins has become a good climber, perhaps one of the 5 best in terms of GT climbing(with recovery being a factor). If you were even serious about this, it means that when both are at 100 percent he won't lose 10 minutes to Contador, who's never won a GT by that margin.
Old 01-23-13, 21:14

Waiting for Flo... to explain Contador disaster

Radio Popular is dissapointing with the elite climbers
"Supo a poco"
Old 01-23-13, 21:17

How should I explain this I don't know, it's ridiculous. A few days ago Miburo I think was praising his base level
Old 01-23-13, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
How should I explain this I don't know, it's ridiculous. A few days ago Miburo I think was praising his base level
Mark my words he is going to do Giro or Vuelta along the Tour
Old 01-23-13, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Please, most riders enter the Tour no matter wat ASO offers them, it's not all about the amount of MTF's or TT km's. If Wiggo didn't have such a strong team he could've been isolated creating a possibility for Nibali or Vanden Broeck to win. Those guys however are very limited, maybe Contador could indeed have made a difference, if he'd kept his TT losses in control. Ie the riders and amount of talent in the race make the difference.

PS: not everything airstream posts is rubbish. Wiggins has become a good climber, perhaps one of the 5 best in terms of GT climbing(with recovery being a factor). If you were even serious about this, it means that when both are at 100 percent he won't lose 10 minutes to Contador, who's never won a GT by that margin.
Thus it here boils down to what the parcours offered. I have no doubt that, given last year's course and the strength of Sky, it would have been extremely difficult for Contador to have unsettled Wiggins and won the event. At the same time, given a more challenging repertoire, as in my opinion should be the case, the actual margin that Wiggin's time trialing prowess and the strength of his team would have rendered the race a less calculated security. How else can we explain Froome being sacrificed at the altar of national glory?

If there is one thing I hate in bike racing it's “calculated security,” which is why I never liked Postal's approach, which seems uncannily to have been replicated by Sky. This does not mean, of course, that the Tour should be heavily biased to a climber, as for example the current editions of the Vuelta have been designed, though what we got in the last Tour is also unacceptable and I’d dare say premeditated.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-23-13 at 23:35.
Old 01-23-13, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I told you he said he was going to take San Luis lighter than last year
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-23-13, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
I told you he said he was going to take San Luis lighter than last year
I know but I don't really care about what he says anymore... 99% is BS anyway

Anyway I have this feeling that this was really the best he could do
Old 01-23-13, 21:42

http://teamsaxotinkoff.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3855

Booo... even the DS is disappointed

Alberto will lose like 2 minutes tomorrow you heard it here first