Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 494 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-25-13, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
No, the good news for Gesink is that he probably bet some money on Contador not riding the Giro. Must've earned him a lot.
Or maybe he put money on Alberto winning le Tour or wiggo winning il giro
Old 01-25-13, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Like i always said

At the end of the day i think its good news, even though part of me wanted to see him at the giro, this year the tour is by far the most important for him

But i hope to god he does worlds after this. Please please please.
You should contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
yes it does. Nibs goal is 2 months earlier and he is in even worse shape
But Alberto isn't Nibali
Old 01-25-13, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
It's January. He normally never races in January except in 2012 because he knew he was about to get banned. Do you really think that in 20 years of now someone will remember what he did outside the GTs? Unless he wins a Monument or WC road race the answer is simply no.
What bothers me is not that he won't win Tour de San Luis, but that he seems to be incredibly out of shape.
Old 01-25-13, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
What bothers me is not that he won't win Tour de San Luis, but that he seems to be incredibly out of shape.
he's 5th in GC, pretty good for now.

T-A is still 6,7 weeks. More than enough time
Old 01-25-13, 22:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
"@dnlbenson: Just spoke to Contador. He's 100 per cent for the Tour and WILL NOT do the Giro this year."

Good news
Too bad, I was hoping to see him destroy Wiggo in a race Wiggins was trying to win. He better do Vuelta-worlds.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 01-25-13, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
And you will boycot the Tour if your rider will not win??? Is it a real cycling fan's behaviour? uuuuu..

I will watch no matter the result is. The race itself is more important.
We'll be certain to hear from you with your whining of how "Contador raped my love of cycling" if he wins. I just want a competitive exciting race where there is a something more interesting happening in the gc than the intrasquad drama that was the Wiggins/Froome coupling. Had Froome won now that would've really been interesting.

Seriously though, I'll be watching regardless because I love the drama of the grand tours more than just the gc battle. I would just prefer to not suffer through another Tour of Wiggins time trialing his way to another Tour win with no opposition. You may be intrigued by the numbers/wattage/science behind the performance but I'm not really into the technical aspects in that respect. This year I was intrigued by Froome's performance, Pinot's and Vangarderen emergence as grand tour talents and Sagan's entertaining and dominant display.

Don't try to pretend that you don't have favorites like so many of us.
Old 01-25-13, 22:58
Banned

I'm disappointed.
I was really hoping to hear different decision.
This way neither TA will have the same significance, nor the other meeting points of the two.

Won't be malicious this time, but I'm sure all Contador's fans are aware of the opportunity (for maliciousness)... It's their manner.
Old 01-25-13, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth&Reconciliation View Post
No rider will ever be at AC's 09 level. That type of power will never be seen again in the sport, quite rightly. He won't need anything like that level to be the best again.
I don't quite understand why people keep saying his best performance was in 09-specially in the Tour- I concede he did perform well at Algarve, but he faltered in P-R, did really good at Pais Vasco & held back in the Dauphine. So far-nothing out of this world - then the Tour: The only real threat to him was Bruyneel & LA sabotaging his race, but with all due respect-the Schleck sisters had no impact on him with that rather "easy" parcours.

IMO the 2011 Giro performance was ET-like, having in mind how brutal the terrain & the conditions the peloton had to endure.
Old 01-26-13, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
IMO the 2011 Giro performance was ET-like, having in mind how brutal the terrain & the conditions the peloton had to endure.
Tougher course means it's easier to pile on the time gaps, and the opposition was pretty mediocre. Tour winners are supposed to be able to put the Giro field to the sword if they target the race.
Old 01-26-13, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth&Reconciliation View Post
We'll never see Contador like 09 again - that was like concorde - but he could well be the best rider in the world again.

When do tell did he stop being the best rider in the world????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~