Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 495 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-26-13, 02:05

I'm Happy he isn't going to the Giro!!!! Focus on the Tour and if there is enough in the tank, do the Vuelta and Worlds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Travis you're my Hero!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-26-13, 06:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
"@dnlbenson: Just spoke to Contador. He's 100 per cent for the Tour and WILL NOT do the Giro this year."

Good news
So we have confirmation of the opposite thing. With this form, telling about double was laughable.
Old 01-26-13, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
So we have confirmation of the opposite thing. With this form, telling about double was laughable.
You just demonstated you know nothing about the sport. Why on earth would he, in Jan., be anywhere near good form, if he wanted to win 2 gcs?

The fact that he's no longer contemplating the Giro doesn't change that.

It now seems likely that he will try to win the Tour-Vuelta this year, which makes sense in light of the brutal Worlds in Tuscany in Oct. Unfortunately the Vuelta-Worlds being in succession, means that the former is an ideal platform for the later and this has diminished the incentive to ride both the Giro and the Tour for many big names.

On the other hand going for the win in both Tour and Vuelta, especially in light of the difficulty of this year's Spanish event, may leave him without the resources to be on top in the Worlds.
Old 01-26-13, 08:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
You just demonstated you know nothing about the sport. Why on earth would he, in Jan., be anywhere near good form, if he wanted to win 2 gcs?

The fact that he's no longer contemplating the Giro doesn't change that.

It now seems likely that he will try to win the Tour-Vuelta this year, which makes sense in light of the brutal Worlds in Tuscany in Oct. Unfortunately the Vuelta-Worlds being in succession, means that the former is an ideal platform for the later and this has diminished the incentive to ride both the Giro and the Tour for many big names.

On the other hand going for the win in both Tour and Vuelta, especially in light of the difficulty of this year's Spanish event, may leave him without the resources to be on top in the Worlds.
Now I suppose he won't start in the vuelta. And surely he won't start it if he wont win the Tour.

Firsly of all I said this facetiously in a way, but If one reasons like you, what on earth anyone should be on form in january? Right, no one needs, but some guys are riding better. Is Van Garderen on form. I don't think so. It is a competition of off form guys by and large. And considering what limitless credit of talent you give to Contador over anyone else, he should beat other guys being off form too. But it doesnt happen so far.

Last edited by airstream; 01-26-13 at 08:16.
Old 01-26-13, 08:40

Quote:
Now I suppose he won't start in the vuelta. And surely he won't start it if he wont win the Tour.

Firsly of all I said this facetiously in a way, but If one reasons like you, what on earth anyone should be on form in january? Right, no one needs, but some guys are riding better. Is Van Garderen on form. I don't think so. It is a competition of off form guys by and large. And considering what limitless credit of talent you give to Contador over anyone else, he should beat other guys being off form too. But it doesnt happen so far.
Now you're being ridiculous. It's not a competition of "off-form" guys, but between some further along and others further back. What is a bit unusual is that AC is starting further back than normal, which even he himself has admitted.

I think AC has in the past demonstrated a superior level enough times for us to assume that he has a rather large margin for improvement. If you don't think so then you weren't watching the same sport.

On the other hand it is possible that his rivals are getting better, which is normal as one matures and all the more reason for the Spaniard, still in his prime, to hold back a little at the beginning to have more in the reserves down the road. This year’s road ends in Firenze, which is quite a bit far to be so competitive in January don't you think?

In any case, it's possible that we will already see a much more competitive Alberto at Tirreno-Adriatico

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-26-13 at 10:29.
Old 01-26-13, 09:59

Quote:

I can´t wait to see TJVG or Slagter beat AC at the tour when they are both in top form...Course that is your logic.

Get a grip back to reality, your losing it. Your hate for AC is ridiculous.

Last edited by xrayvision; 01-26-13 at 10:03.
Old 01-26-13, 10:29

Quote:

So I guess TJ is a better rider than Nibali, Purito, Alberto, VDB then.
Old 01-26-13, 11:18

What a pity. I was so excited about this Giro-Tour stuff. Contador is missing a very good opportunity here. I really hope he knows what he is doing!

Anyway, I don't think it is a final decision. There is still time and depending on how he feels he can decide and do both.
Old 01-26-13, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohale View Post
What a pity. I was so excited about this Giro-Tour stuff. Contador is missing a very good opportunity here. I really hope he knows what he is doing!

Anyway, I don't think it is a final decision. There is still time and depending on how he feels he can decide and do both.
I'm gutted too, but don't think it's set in stone just yet. I can't see how a double is achievable realistically unless its a Giro/Vuelta. Lots of decent emerging talent and people going for this years Tour make me think this.
Not writing off a double for a rider in the future but perhaps it won't be Alberto.
Old 01-26-13, 11:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Now you're being ridiculous. It's not a competition of "off-form" guys, but between some further along and others further back. What is a bit unusual is that AC is starting further back than normal, which even he himself has admitted.

I think AC has in the past demonstrated a superior level enough times for us to assume that he has a rather large margin for improvement. If you don't think so then you weren't watching the same sport.

On the other hand it is possible that his rivals are getting better, which is normal as one matures and all the more reason for the Spaniard, still in his prime, to hold back a little at the beginning to have more in the reserves down the road. This year’s road ends in Firenze, which is quite a bit far to be so competitive in January don't you think?

In any case, it's possible that we will already see a much more competitive Alberto at Tirreno-Adriatico
No, I'm being ironic and playing kind of antithesis. If he had had won the stage, part of fans would inevitably have told: "Look, I told you! If this off form Contador wins, others are helpless. I look forward to July!". But when he didn't win, expectations are the same and positive moments are desperately sought out in anything, say, badly prepared Nibali. It looks very comical for an impartial fan. I don't know. Probably it is the case only for me.