Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 519 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-03-13, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
The characteristics of Etna make it very well suited to a group of riders working together. Any team with 4 of the strongest 10-15 riders would not allow anyone to gain a minute off the front of the bunch. When it came down to it Froome and Wiggins working together even if individually not as strong as Contador would be better than Contador dragging the little guy along.
As far as I remember he could have won nearly every mountain stage during the 2011 Giro. Zoncolan aside.

My original point was that AC disposed of Nibali with great ease, while Wiggins and Froome could only put 19 seconds into him ( TT's aside). I do take the point however that Froome may have had more in the tank.

That said, if Froome had been given a free pass and had gone crazy in the mountains then there is no guarantee that he would have had as much left for the TT's.

Less than six months to find out
Old 02-03-13, 19:41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadoraus Schlecks View Post
As far as I remember he could have won nearly every mountain stage during the 2011 Giro. Zoncolan aside.

My original point was that AC disposed of Nibali with great ease, while Wiggins and Froome could only put 19 seconds into him ( TT's aside). I do take the point however that Froome may have had more in the tank.

That said, if Froome had been given a free pass and had gone crazy in the mountains then there is no guarantee that he would have had as much left for the TT's.

In short, Froome had something in the tank but obviously not enough to gain 6 minutes as Contador did, right?
Old 02-03-13, 19:43

Quote:

You can't compare as the Giro route was much more mountaineous = more opportunities to take time than the Tour was. Even if the TT balanced it out we will never know to what extent.
Old 02-03-13, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
You can't compare as the Giro route was much more mountaineous = more opportunities to take time than the Tour was. Even if the TT balanced it out we will never know to what extent.
Does it make a difference how many opportunities there are? They couldn't get rid of nibbles on three of four occasions during the tour
Old 02-03-13, 20:15
Banned

Quote:
Does it make a difference how many opportunities there are? They couldn't get rid of nibbles on three of four occasions during the tour
Did they need it?
Old 02-03-13, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Did they need it?
Not in hindsight but when they tried to shake Niballi prior to TT's, they could not. Also, the same approach will not stand good for them come July. The TT centred approach will not work.
Old 02-03-13, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
We are looking into this story in this year's realities based on riders' capacities we know today.
You yourself admitted you don't know Froome's capacities since he was restrained in this year's Tour. We can say he's stronger than the riders that finished the Tour but that is the limit to what we/you know.
Old 02-03-13, 20:26
Banned

Quote:
Not in hindsight but when they tried to shake Niballi prior to TT's, they could not. Also, the same approach will not stand good for them come July. The TT centred approach will not work.
IMO saying 'they' is not quite correct. Sky followed Wiggins' interests completely. Froome's podium occured per se and became just a nice addition. Wiggins is a synonym of steady tempo and minimum of risk on the climbs. So Sky built their tactics on this. Frankly speaking, Wiggins outdid my personal expectation. I thought he would magnanimously present 15-20 sec to the best climbers on any MTF, having a big TT reserve, but he could even drop them once. Hehe..

Last edited by airstream; 02-03-13 at 20:30.
Old 02-03-13, 20:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
You yourself admitted you don't know Froome's capacities since he was restrained in this year's Tour. We can say he's stronger than the riders that finished the Tour but that is the limit to what we/you know.
I think that while reasoning about Etna Ferminal tried to compare Contador's Giro 2011 level and Sky Tour 12 one respectively. So my post referred to it.
Old 02-03-13, 20:42

Quote:
You say they but you mean Wiggins. Who knows what Froome could have done if let off the leash?