Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 543 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-18-13, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/in...n=nationsports

good read

But why did they put Alberto in between two huge guys lol

And Bjarne with glasses I think Alberto would look sexy with glasses (cool glasses not nerdy ones)
He is wafer thin

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 02-18-13, 05:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Keep in mind that Froome was the guy who waited in La Toussuire for Wiggins. Would a real champion do that when he knows he can win the tour?

Getting attacked in each stage race he races like in Oman. It's scary. You almost want to give the jersey to Contador so that you're done with it.
If Contador was in Froomes situation, where he had just shown the previous year that he may be able to contend in GT's; then yes, Contador would do the same thing that Froome was forced to do.

To the second part: nah, it doesn't make you want to give up the jersey, it just makes the leaders performance all the more impressive. Even with Contador attacking them day after day, they can still hold onto that jersey (and even win the stage).

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-18-13, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
If Contador was in Froomes situation, where he had just shown the previous year that he may be able to contend in GT's; then yes, Contador would do the same thing that Froome was forced to do.

To the second part: nah, it doesn't make you want to give up the jersey, it just makes the leaders performance all the more impressive. Even with Contador attacking them day after day, they can still hold onto that jersey (and even win the stage).
This is just Oman. The pressure will be different in more important races.
Old 02-18-13, 06:49
Banned

Quote:
I see you are not too enthusiastic towards Froome too and catch at a straw to try to belittle his chances. Btw, Miburo, it is a great idea to accuse the man, who is on the huge rise and on the threshold of great achievements, of lack of mental strength. Last hope to reassure yourself?

Quote:
Hell, if Contador had won this race, you could have been the last to say 'It is just Oman'. You would say: Look, look! Nothing changes. Nobody has chance" or something like that.

Last edited by airstream; 02-18-13 at 06:57.
Old 02-18-13, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I see you are not too enthusiastic towards Froome too and catch at a straw to try to belittle his chances.
Nope, he's the only threat for Contador. As you know I value Contador very high, thus saying Froome is the only threat for him is a pretty big compliment, isn't it?

I just want to say that I wonder how his mental state is when under pressure. What's wrong with it? Isn't that important in a GC like the tour?
Old 02-18-13, 07:01
Banned

Quote:
Nope, he's the only threat for Contador. As you know I value Contador very high, thus saying Froome is the only threat for him is a pretty big compliment, isn't it?

I just want to say that I wonder how his mental state is when under pressure. What's wrong with it? Isn't that important in a GC like the tour?
Mental strength is a very sandy platform. Purito could sprint and climb keeping up other's initiavive. Froome is capable of anything. Mental strength can play a big role only in case of diabolically tight contention. What one is able to do on the road is way more significant.
Old 02-18-13, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson View Post
You do understand though that he also lost because of his enthusiastic riding style? He behaved like a rookie sometimes. Attacking, dropping everyone, waiting, getting caught back, almost doing a track stand, attacking again, and run out of gas. It was more than great to watch, don't get me wrong, but he could have taken a more efficient approach. It's only february, it's hard race full gas and still win. Of course this was just Oman, a nice opportunity to test the legs and the competition, but he didn't exactly ride a perfect race - from a results point of view. Froome kept his cool, didn't try to match Alberto in his racing, launched an attack at the moment Contador noticed it's only February and won the race.
He was just having fun..... Nah he was trying to win the race. He just can't ride the way Froome does, he needs to attack. He can't do the - get dropped, catch leader, get dropped, catch leader, repeat 5 times, get dropped, go full throttle in the last km in a "all or nothing", "death or glory" attempt.
Old 02-18-13, 07:20

Quote:
Mental strength is a very sandy platform. Purito could sprint and climb keeping up other's initiavive. Froome is capable of anything. Mental strength can play a big role only in case of diabolically tight contention. What one is able to do on the road is way more significant.
Look at Andy. Don't you think that the lack of mental strength is a big reason why all this is happening?

A lot of people who were in the same position as Contador was in tour '09 would do it differently for sure. And that is something you can't blame on the clinic

Contador will never give up and he might just attack 60 km before the finish, not even waiting for the last climb. That unpredictability is one of his best weapons.

But I don't think Contador needs it though. I think he can be back at Giro '11 form. So yeah
Old 02-18-13, 07:40
Banned

Quote:
Look at Andy. Don't you think that the lack of mental strength is a big reason why all this is happening?

A lot of people who were in the same position as Contador was in tour '09 would do it differently for sure. And that is something you can't blame on the clinic

Contador will never give up and he might just attack 60 km before the finish, not even waiting for the last climb. That unpredictability is one of his best weapons.

But I don't think Contador needs it though. I think he can be back at Giro '11 form. So yeah
I think Froome will show a better form than Contador in the Giro. Let's see.
Old 02-18-13, 07:43

Quote:
I think Froome will show a better form than Contador in the Giro. Let's see.
Than that form?

So now you're implying Contador can get that form? I thought you always denied that.

On what do you base yourself that Froome can be better than that Contador?