Transfers and Rumours 2012 > 2013 - Page 325 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-12, 12:46

What about Santi Perez, the former Phonak and RelaxGam guy, who was with CC Loulé? Will he be part of 2013´s team?
Old 11-13-12, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Bicycle View Post
With Barbosa still active the Volta was more exciting than nowadays. He added suspense to the Volta and his nearly tragic life-long unsuccessful hunt for the GC win was a great back story of the race. In the end the Volta was of course always won by some third-class aged doper, as it still is the case today. But without the nice Barbosa background story.
Heck, in 2012 the most interesting aspect of the Volta was the loads of UnitedHealthcare riders who totally sucked throughout the season in every race they participated in and suddenly cashed in UCI wins here - so bad is the current state of the Portuguese peloton. It lacks of riders with personality, it lacks of internationally competitive sprinters and it lacks of promising young talents (don't mention Rafael Reis, his 2012 season was crap). Not only one but a bunch of Barbosas is badly needed.
UHC was given the liberty to go hunting for stage wins while the Portuguese teams focused on GC. Also, who's not to say the Volta wasn't a big objective of that team?

In terms of talent, it's not being developed, but it's certainly there; the Santa Maria da Feira amateur team for example which nurtured Rui Costa... Sure he was lucky enough to get a go on the big stage (and he's savvy as a fox) but there are many others, close or even superior in calibre that have never fulfilled their potential for being Portuguese, lack of opportunities and lack of money. Sure a Colombian kid would have a fairer chance at the big stage.

Barbosa was an animal... It will be a while before we see the likes of him again. He had the engine, but never had the profile to win the Volta.

Last edited by Fester; 11-13-12 at 12:50. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-13-12, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
UHC was given the liberty to go hunting for stage wins while the Portuguese teams focused on GC. Also, who's not to say the Volta wasn't a big objective of that team?

In terms of talent, it's not being developed, but it's certainly there; the Santa Maria da Feira amateur team for example which nurtured Rui Costa... Sure he was lucky enough to get a go on the big stage (and he's savvy as a fox) but there are many others, close or even superior in calibre that have never fulfilled their potential for being Portuguese, lack of opportunities and lack of money. Sure a Colombian kid would have a fairer chance at the big stage.

Barbosa was an animal... It will be a while before we see the likes of him again. He had the engine, but never had the profile to win the Volta.
are you for real? barbosa was the biggest clinic joke in portugal back then and basiclaly all riders were. he was the most ridiculous. he couldn't climb anywhere except one month in a year.

costa was the biggest portugese cycling talent of his generation, I dare say by far. keep in mind portugal national u23 team also rode and rides abroad so big talents naturally get exposure. he did, others did not or to lesser extent, guys like pimenta costa and vitor rodrigues, sabido(longer time before) got some chance but didn't really take it.

I don't know what you mean with colombian kid btw

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 11-13-12 at 14:25.
Old 11-13-12, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
What team is Michael Valgren going to, or is he staying at GLU?
Michael Valgren have not signed any contract yet, but Bjarne Riis showed big interest in him in April so I have a feeling that he will either go to Team Saxo or stay with Michael Skelde (Team Cult Cycling 2013).
Old 11-13-12, 22:07
Administrator

from the general new thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcta View Post
Ceramica flaminia will be the b-team of .... SAXO BANK-TINKOFF : http://jornalciclismo.com/?p=28771
wut wut wut those appear to be some awesome news for portuguese development.

apparently the team will be licensed in portugal and has already hired antonio barbio, rafael reis and pedro paulinho (sergio's younger brother and current u23 champ) and amaro antunes is also rumored to be signed tho i think that will be harder as prio will prolly want to keep him with mestre leaving and vitorino retiring( iirc)

Reis had a disappointing year the u23 but he is only 19/20 so he is still young, i have big hopes for him
Old 11-13-12, 22:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
are you for real? barbosa was the biggest clinic joke in portugal back then and basiclaly all riders were. he was the most ridiculous. he couldn't climb anywhere except one month in a year.

costa was the biggest portugese cycling talent of his generation, I dare say by far. keep in mind portugal national u23 team also rode and rides abroad so big talents naturally get exposure. he did, others did not or to lesser extent, guys like pimenta costa and vitor rodrigues, sabido(longer time before) got some chance but didn't really take it.

I don't know what you mean with colombian kid btw
i remember back then machado used to be regarded as the most talented of that generation with costa and close second and rodrigues just a bit behind.

however machado was in bad terms with the national coach (which is an idiot by the way ) so he never got called for the world champs, particularly in 07 and 08.

a shame to see rodrigues retire at 24 due to the liberty seguros fiasco last year.

and i agree with ryo, barbosa was the shame of portuguese cycling, thank god he is gone. i may be considered biased but i don't think the portuguese level is as low as ryo says tho, it is lower then it was a couple years ago, but that's because all the spanish puerto riders are gone and there seems to be a lack of cyclists on peak age (btw 27 and 32) they are either too old(like vitorino and rui sousa) or too young( antunes, vilela and the gonçalves brothers).
Old 11-13-12, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
i remember back then machado used to be regarded as the most talented of that generation with costa and close second and rodrigues just a bit behind.

however machado was in bad terms with the national coach (which is an idiot by the way ) so he never got called for the world champs, particularly in 07 and 08.

a shame to see rodrigues retire at 24 due to the liberty seguros fiasco last year.

and i agree with ryo, barbosa was the shame of portuguese cycling, thank god he is gone. i may be considered biased but i don't think the portuguese level is as low as ryo says tho, it is lower then it was a couple years ago, but that's because all the spanish puerto riders are gone and there seems to be a lack of cyclists on peak age (btw 27 and 32) they are either too old(like vitorino and rui sousa) or too young( antunes, vilela and the gonçalves brothers).
machado wasn't an u23 rider in 2008

I don't think the level is low. it is quite high for climbers and stageracers but nothing exceptional, in other discplines the level is quite low and adapting to wt level is very hard for most

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 11-13-12 at 23:20.
Old 11-13-12, 23:29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
machado wasn't an u23 rider in 2008

I don't think the level is low. it is quite high for climbers and stageracers but nothing exceptional, in other discplines the level is quite low and adapting to wt level is very hard for most
indeed you are right, 07 was his last u23 year when he got into a fight with the national coach for something i don't remember anymore.

i think the overall level could be much higher if there were more races and tougher stages and if the portuguese teams rode more often in spain. but many of the portuguese riders on the national teams only ride 150k+ stages and high mountains during the volta and sometimes spend weeks if not months without a proper race in the legs
Old 11-14-12, 08:47

when barbosa appears on the podium ceremony, the crowd goes crazy, more than for any portuguese guy right now.
the legendary beard man had more flavour than the entire,actual portuguese scene right now.nothing more need to be said.

Old 11-14-12, 11:28

SBTB signs Duggan (1 year) and Evgeni Petrov (2 years) and renews Miyazawa's contract (1 year), according to their website.

Edit: http://www.teamsaxobanktinkoffbank.c....asp?n_id=3826
Closed Thread