Peter Sagan discussion thread. - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 06-10-12, 15:57
Administrator

He's showed numerous times he can sprint the best and win.
He showed in Tirreno he can go head to head with the GC guys and beat them in a uphill finish.
He showed at Big Bear Lake in the 2010 Tour of California that he can survive the climbs to take the win.
He showed this spring that he can be a contender for the classics.
And now he has showed he can beat the best in a time trial

Sagan won't be the next kelly, he will be the next Merckx!
Old 06-10-12, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post

He's showed numerous times he can sprint the best and win. Check
He showed in Tirreno he can go head to head with the GC guys and beat them in a uphill finish. Check.
He showed this spring that he can be a contender for the classics. Check
And now he has showed he can beat the best in a time trial Check
He showed at Big Bear Lake in the 2010 Tour of California that he can survive the climbs to take the win. Not so much

Old 06-10-12, 16:09

[He's showed numerous times he can sprint the best and win. Nope
He showed in Tirreno he can go head to head with the GC guys and beat them in a uphill finish. yes
He showed at Big Bear Lake in the 2010 Tour of California that he can survive the climbs to take the win. Nope
He showed this spring that he can be a contender for the classics. Yes
And now he has showed he can beat the best in a time trial Nope
Old 06-10-12, 16:11

He is the next sean kelly.
No way will he become like the cannibal though unless he drops his weight.
Old 06-10-12, 16:18

Sagan is extremely overrated as a climber. He's a great puncheur, but he's never shown anything in the mountains. And no, I don't count getting over the top of a HC climb in a slowly paced 15 man breakaway group (including climbing prodigy Salerno) as a particularly impressive climbing feat.

He's massively impressive in hills, sprints and prologues, but when he both lacks the ability to do a decent long ITT and climb a mountain I don't see how anyone can consider him to be a likely future GT contender. Not that it matters, because he'll certainly pick up a couple of monuments, WCs and Olympic medals.
Old 06-10-12, 16:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeypen View Post
[He's showed numerous times he can sprint the best and win. Nope
He showed in Tirreno he can go head to head with the GC guys and beat them in a uphill finish. yes
He showed at Big Bear Lake in the 2010 Tour of California that he can survive the climbs to take the win. Nope
He showed this spring that he can be a contender for the classics. Yes
And now he has showed he can beat the best in a time trial Nope
He has beaten Boonen, Goss, Hushovd, Petacchi, Freire in a sprint, all pretty good sprinters. He hasn't beaten Cav yet, but he will in the tour

I'll give you the Big Bear Lake, it was the only hill stage that he won that I could think of off the top of my head. Another one 2011 tour de suisse stage 3.

You don't consider Cancellara one of the best? Even if it is was a short prologue he did beat a 4 time world time trial champion in it.
Old 06-10-12, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
He has beaten Boonen, Goss, Hushovd, Petacchi, Freire in a sprint, all pretty good sprinters. He hasn't beaten Cav yet, but he will in the tour

I'll give you the Big Bear Lake, it was the only hill stage that he won that I could think of off the top of my head. Another one 2011 tour de suisse stage 3.

You don't consider Cancellara one of the best? Even if it is was a short prologue he did beat a 4 time world time trial champion in it.
He has shown that he is the fastest (barring Goss) of the guys who can get over climbs, thats a long way from beating the best sprinters.

As for TTing, beating Canc in a prolouge when he is coming back from injury and not inform is not showing that he can beat the best TTing. 27 riders beat the current World Champ in the P-N prolouge, does that mean that Jérémy Roy, Simon Gerrans etc have shown that they can beat the best TTing?
Old 06-10-12, 19:08

Quote:
As for TTing, beating Canc in a prolouge when he is coming back from injury and not inform is not showing that he can beat the best TTing. 27 riders beat the current World Champ in the P-N prolouge, does that mean that Jérémy Roy, Simon Gerrans etc have shown that they can beat the best TTing?
He was a handful of seconds behind the time Cancellara did last year in the prologue, same route. He's already one of the best in prologues out there.

Long ITTs on the other hand, not quite there.
Old 06-10-12, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeBet View Post
He was a handful of seconds behind the time Cancellara did last year in the prologue, same route. He's already one of the best in prologues out there.

Long ITTs on the other hand, not quite there.
Prologues are a completely different matter to proper ITTs. Even Cav has won one against the likes of Martin, Wiggins, Pinotti etc

A rider with Sagan's power is bound to be a very good Prologue rider.
Old 06-10-12, 19:15

Quote:
He has shown that he is the fastest (barring Goss) of the guys who can get over climbs, thats a long way from beating the best sprinters.

I doubt he is much better than EBH in the sprints

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs