Peter Sagan discussion thread. - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 06-10-12, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post
I doubt he is much better than EBH in the sprints
I don't think Sagan's faster, but he's certainly better at positioning. Mostly because he's completely and utterly insane
Old 06-10-12, 20:03

I think Eddie and sagan are pretty equal at speed, hagen with a slightly higher top speed and sagan with a little quicker acceleration i think. But sagan is much more consistant and better at positioning and timing his sprints
Old 06-11-12, 03:37

He hasn't show a good climb, or long ITT, yet, some performances have hinted it may be possible.
Forget stage racing, apart from points jerseys and stages and preparation for what really matters, aim for the classiscs...all of them, over and over. It would be great to see someone claim all 5 monuments in a career, only 3 riders have ever done it, and the last of those won their last monument in 1979. Right now I'd say Cancellara, Gilbert and Sagan have a shot.
Old 06-11-12, 07:35

why do ppl expect him to climb or TT well?

i have never seen him saying he wants to be stage race cyclist,i think he knows he is good sprinter,puncheur and thats what we are goin to see from him

climbing and TT is pointless for him,unless its like tour of poland where he was in position to win overall,so he kinda stuck with dan martin
Old 06-11-12, 07:48

Yeah, he should definately aim for the classics. There is no point in trying to turn him to a gc contender.
Though If he is going to win LBL and lombardia, i think he needs to lose a few pounds and improve his climbing a bit.
Old 06-11-12, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
Sagan is extremely overrated as a climber. He's a great puncheur, but he's never shown anything in the mountains. And no, I don't count getting over the top of a HC climb in a slowly paced 15 man breakaway group (including climbing prodigy Salerno) as a particularly impressive climbing feat.

He's massively impressive in hills, sprints and prologues, but when he both lacks the ability to do a decent long ITT and climb a mountain I don't see how anyone can consider him to be a likely future GT contender. Not that it matters, because he'll certainly pick up a couple of monuments, WCs and Olympic medals.
yeah, at the foot of the climb maybe he topped that climb with ten Dam, Fuglsang and Salerno, while the others (including not too shabby climbers like de Greef and Caruso) were long gone.

so no, I don't think he's overrated as a climber. he can handle a climb pretty ok if he goes for it. except that he almost never does that, since these days are more or less days off-duty for him, given his 'I race to win all year long'-approach.
Old 06-11-12, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin View Post
yeah, at the foot of the climb maybe he topped that climb with ten Dam, Fuglsang and Salerno, while the others (including not too shabby climbers like de Greef and Caruso) were long gone.

so no, I don't think he's overrated as a climber. he can handle a climb pretty ok if he goes for it. except that he almost never does that, since these days are more or less days off-duty for him, given his 'I race to win all year long'-approach.
I think he has improved his sprint this year, maybe he has gained a few pounds, i think thats the reason why his climbing seems to worse than last year.
though in T-A on the stage to chieti it was also some steep stuff where (except from him) it was only the GC guys who were there.
Old 06-11-12, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I think he has improved his sprint this year, maybe he has gained a few pounds, i think thats the reason why his climbing seems to worse than last year.
why? he just never took a shot on a mountain this year.. and rightfully so.
Old 06-11-12, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin View Post
why? he just never took a shot on a mountain this year.. and rightfully so.
In Tour of Oman he said he would try to hang onto the leader's jersey on the MTF, but he was dropped very early on Green Mountain and finished way back.
Old 06-11-12, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
In Tour of Oman he said he would try to hang onto the leader's jersey on the MTF, but he was dropped very early on Green Mountain and finished way back.
Really? didn't know. was he serious though? because that's kinda lame

anyway, the 2nd week of le Tour will tell us more.