Team Saxo Bank with a new bank co-sponsor? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 06-22-12, 14:58

Going to be a tight fit on those shirts considering Etixx goes on there now as well...

Anybody speculating that this new bank might actually be taking over Saxo Bank and step up the sponsorship at the same time? Thenit wouldn't be a split sponsorship between two banks, but a natural progression for a smaller bank being merged into a bigger one...
Old 06-22-12, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I have to say I'm a little disappointed that it's not a bank which actually has the word 'bank' in its name. That would be rather cool! Team Saxo Bank [insert here] Bank.
a) Gingers have no soul

b) Banco Santander The initial letters will make some nice palindromes; SBBS or BSSB.
Old 06-22-12, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM London View Post
Going to be a tight fit on those shirts considering Etixx goes on there now as well...

Anybody speculating that this new bank might actually be taking over Saxo Bank and step up the sponsorship at the same time? Thenit wouldn't be a split sponsorship between two banks, but a natural progression for a smaller bank being merged into a bigger one...
Not likely. If it was a merger, there wouldn't be a point time where the two co-existed as, by the nature of mergers, the completion of the merger extinguishes the existence of one of the merging parties. Moreover, to the extent a merger agreement had been signed, it would have been announced by now and we wouldn't need to speculate.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 06-22-12, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM London View Post

No, then the new bank wouldn't have to buy the sponsorship from Saxo.

When that is said, Saxo is indeed up for sale. The "bank's" market value was 3billion euro two years ago, but it's rapidly expanding.
Old 06-22-12, 15:27

Just saw on twitter that Riis has confirmed press conference for Monday:

Quote:
@mrconde: Riis Cycling confirm press conference on Monday at 13:00 CET - "Riis has important news about the future of the cycling team". #cycling

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 06-22-12, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
Just saw on twitter that Riis has confirmed press conference for Monday:
"Important news about the future of the cycling team "
Old 06-22-12, 15:37

It's definately Saxo Bank and Rabobank merging into Sabobank. Or Raxobank!
Old 06-22-12, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilleaben View Post
It's definately Saxo Bank and Rabobank merging into Sabobank. Or Raxobank!
Raxo Bank, I rather dig that name.
Old 06-22-12, 16:07

That would be a great name. Raxobank.
Old 06-22-12, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaBech View Post
b) Banco Santander The initial letters will make some nice palindromes; SBBS or BSSB.
As long as it doesn't turn into SSDD then I'm happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
Not likely. If it was a merger, there wouldn't be a point time where the two co-existed as, by the nature of mergers, the completion of the merger extinguishes the existence of one of the merging parties. Moreover, to the extent a merger agreement had been signed, it would have been announced by now and we wouldn't need to speculate.
So far all we have is rumours that there is to be a co-existance. That's my point - maybe there's NOT going to be a Team Saxo-Santander. Maybe there's just going to be a Team Santander from a point where the merger was confirmed - basically Santander taking over the sponsorship even before the merger is fully concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaBech View Post
No, then the new bank wouldn't have to buy the sponsorship from Saxo.

When that is said, Saxo is indeed up for sale. The "bank's" market value was 3billion euro two years ago, but it's rapidly expanding.
Who's talking about "buying the sponsorhsip"? I'm talking about one bank buying another bank - and as this bank would be interested in the sponsorship it would naturally take over the responsibility